Author Topic: Some Turbo Goodness  (Read 766 times)

esteban

Re: Some Turbo Goodness
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 05:24:29 PM »
I've checked out all of the boxed titles, except for OotG. Some of these have aged remarkably well, while others have not. Soldier Blade is stellar, definitely glad to have it in the collection. Air Zonk is also excellent, though the bitter mode is obscene. I spent about 20 minutes on the first level. Finally got to the boss before I called it quits for the day. I'm uncertain if I'll hold onto the rest, but those two will definitely be sticking around. My least favorite is Samurai Ghost. I was surprised too, as I figured it would play like Ninja Spirit. Far too clunky and slow to be a ninja game. Jackie Chan is surprisingly solid, though I'm not a big fan of the art style. Shockman looks and sounds great, but I don't care for the controls. Not as tight as I seem to remember.

I'm not trying to change your view of Samurai Ghost (well, I guess I am), but if you accept the fact that your hero is a clunky, unwieldy beast...well, the game grows on you. Sure, there are areas that are frustrating (disappearing platforms, spiders that shoot webs and hobble you, bosses that require you to dodge nimbly, etc.) because you are expected to be more nimble on your feet--but you'll be able to better control your character with a bit of practice.

I say: give Samurai Ghost a (second) chance.

|    | 

KingofGames

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »
I liked the idea of different slashes for the sword, instead of a canned forward slice. The clunkiness was just ridiculous. In general, I feel like TG-16 games are too large. Not really sure how else to put it, but I feel like there isn't enough space on screen for everything that is going on. Before I sold Cadash, I put some time into it. It's maddening when an enemy that barely appears on screen can sabotage you instantly. I guess some of these games were designed for the arcade (and thus forcing you to dump quarters into them), but that doesn't carry over well. I might eventually reacquire some of these games, but for now, I'm only keeping Air Zonk and Soldier Blade (which are admittedly amazing). Really happy with the bundle, as I made some money back, traded for a really big want, and kept some awesome stuff.

esteban

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:27 AM »
I liked the idea of different slashes for the sword, instead of a canned forward slice. The clunkiness was just ridiculous. In general, I feel like TG-16 games are too large. Not really sure how else to put it, but I feel like there isn't enough space on screen for everything that is going on. Before I sold Cadash, I put some time into it. It's maddening when an enemy that barely appears on screen can sabotage you instantly. I guess some of these games were designed for the arcade (and thus forcing you to dump quarters into them), but that doesn't carry over well. I might eventually reacquire some of these games, but for now, I'm only keeping Air Zonk and Soldier Blade (which are admittedly amazing). Really happy with the bundle, as I made some money back, traded for a really big want, and kept some awesome stuff.

I hear you, my friend. I am obligated to promote Samurai Ghost because most folks agree with you (that the game is a clunker)...and I beg them to give Samurai Ghost a second chance

|    | 

Tatsujin

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 10:34:16 AM »
Samurai ghost ain't no ninja game, It's a samurai game :idea:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

esteban

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 04:05:45 AM »
Samurai ghost ain't no ninja game, It's a samurai game :idea:

TRUTH.
  |    | 

KingofGames

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 05:33:05 AM »
You know what, that's actually a good point. I still think Ninja Spirit stomps all over it. Maybe if I hadn't played that game I would've been more impressed.

KingofGames

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 08:19:43 PM »
Necro bump for an old find. I was just thinking about these, as I picked up a TG-16 bundle recently. Crazy where prices have gone. Soldier blade just sold for $700 CIB..

esteban

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 10:12:53 PM »
Necro bump for an old find. I was just thinking about these, as I picked up a TG-16 bundle recently. Crazy where prices have gone. Soldier blade just sold for $700 CIB..

I have Soldier Blade + manual in a Keith Courage jewel box (CIKCB).

Great jewel case (no silly plastic arm to fret over...just 27 year old sticky adhesive).

I'll sell it to you for $550, which is decent for CIKCB.

As far as Soldier Blasé is concerned...it does nothing for me. It's just another shooter.

NOTE: PayPal accepted.

NOTE: Welcome back, comrade. Bitcoin also accepted.
  |    | 

KingofGames

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 04:20:53 AM »
I can't enjoy the game unless you have the cardboard box, unfortunately. It adds to the experience.