Author Topic: Megaman PCE thread  (Read 13454 times)

tbone3969

Re: Megaman PCE thread
« Reply #330 on: July 25, 2015, 03:04:45 AM »
In the spirit of Capcom's Fighting Street-

Dis be pretti. Where can get dis? :D

Wow.  That looks so sweet.  I wish I could get one of those.  Very Nice.  :)
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Bonknuts

« Reply #331 on: September 14, 2015, 05:47:33 AM »
I'm not sure if I showed this, but this was the last WIP change I had made to MM:

I removed the score display, but more importantly - I added a new meter display. The green is health, and when you select a weapon the energy bar splits into two and the red side is the weapon energy. I have finished it, but below it is supposed to be a box and an icon to show which weapon is selected (MMX style). The bar is fully functional, so it's not just mockup screens. It was to do, because it's pixel plotting code. Not that I probably needed it, but the resource from removing the score display was more than adequate for the routine to work.

Anyway, all the enemies for level one are redrawn with extended colors. It takes a little bit time though, because of how I have it hacked - it has to check for every "room" of monsters (this is at the beginning of the level). So I still need to create hack tables for the other levels outside of Cutman. Probably a few full days of solid work.

Just to be clear, this project isn't cancelled. It might take me forever to finish it - but it will be a PCE-obey-fied version of Megaman when I'm done with it.

I'm also thinking of releasing the source code in intervals, as I go along. Well, for the curiously minded.

Hmm.. so slowdown is eliminated from the game simply because the PCE runs the game code faster than the NES. But these sprite hacks actually have a secondary purpose other than color enhancement; they actually speed up the game logic code because it's faster to use PCE large sprites than it is to use NES small 8x8 sprites to make larger ones. The other thing is that larger sprite cells over the native NES ones, which I've converted all sprites in the game to, also reduce the sprite flicker limit - by a huge amount! This means I can add background or foreground sprites for parallax and other similar effects. For instance in Cutman's level, I want to add scrolling clouds as a second BG layer behind the graphics. I'm also going to add a gradient sky effect via hsync. Freeing up cpu resource allows me to allocate it else where like these effects.

6 button controller support is in place already, just not functional. I'm going to assign quick weapon select for the extra buttons. Just need to receive my 6 button controller.

VenomMacbeth

« Reply #332 on: September 14, 2015, 06:04:05 AM »
Did you hack in the ability to aim up? :P

It's looking fantastic, so far.  Can't wait to see when it's done!
Play Turbografx.
Play the Turbografx. PLAY
THE TURBOGRAFX!!!!!!

Buh buh buh, I have almost all teh games evar.  I R TEH BESTEST COLLECTR!!

shubibiman

« Reply #333 on: September 14, 2015, 09:32:17 AM »
Looking great so far !
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

esteban

« Reply #334 on: September 14, 2015, 01:17:39 PM »
Utterly fabulous!!!!!!!
  |    | 

saturndual32

« Reply #335 on: September 14, 2015, 03:36:45 PM »
Definitely one of my top 5 homebrew projects going on for retro consoles right now. All the stuff you want to improve sounds so cool!

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #336 on: September 14, 2015, 03:56:57 PM »
Sweet, parallax, here we come! 

As for me, I'm still working on Ice Man.  It's looking like it'll be a 5 minute plus song(which is also how long Bomb Man ended up being).  It might be too long, still deciding on that.  I'm currently working on a second breakdown(most levels I've done have 2 breakdowns inbetween the original tunes, & then a finale).  I've got some more composing to do for it, & perhaps a little rearranging.  I don't want this song to take as long as Bomb Man did, but, I want to do it right(though it won't be perfect ofcoarse).

So, what I've got to do is finish:
Ice Man
Dr. Wily's Castle 1
Title screen(mainly taken from MM1 GB's title screen)

I have some touch up's to do on the regular boss theme & Dr. Wily's Castle 2.  And I may add one extra mini tune for when you select Dr. Wily's level(taken from MM1 on GB).

So Bonknuts, is Frag still working on gfx?  Or someone else?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 03:58:51 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

Desh

« Reply #337 on: September 14, 2015, 05:01:19 PM »
I love you guys.  Just playing through the original release was great.  I love how this is coming together.  It will be amazing when completed.  Thank you for all of the hard work!

Bonknuts

« Reply #338 on: September 14, 2015, 06:39:03 PM »
Sorry that the project is taking so long. It's a lot of work to dismantle the original code and put in new stuff.

PD: I haven't talked with Frag in quite some time. I'm in the middle of getting my IRC stuffs setup again. Maybe he still hangs out in the old channels. He's done a lot of artwork for the enemies so far, so I've got a decent amount to work with. Sprite code work is done, I just need to make some more tables for the new sprites. I do this by hand, so it takes some time. Background replacement maps and tiles should go a lot quicker than sprites. With sprites, I had to make dual NES and PCE compatible routines - before I could remove the NES stuffs. That takes a bit of time with translation tables, alt code detection, and all. With BGs, I'm won't need to do that. So it should, in theory, go quicker.

This hack is going to bust the SuperCD ram limit. So it's gonna be rom/flashcard, with CD audio support, or flash card with extended ram (Stupid CD 4.0, ED v2.0, etc - to load off the CD). I don't need work ram per se, just space for graphics. Unless I have it load in between levels... but that sounds like a pain.

NightWolve

« Reply #339 on: September 14, 2015, 07:51:28 PM »
Hey, he's looking more like SNES Megaman! :) You are very leet hacker.

esteban

« Reply #340 on: September 14, 2015, 10:18:59 PM »

This hack is going to bust the SuperCD ram limit. So it's gonna be rom/flashcard, with CD audio support, or flash card with extended ram (Stupid CD 4.0, ED v2.0, etc - to load off the CD). I don't need work ram per se, just space for graphics. Unless I have it load in between levels... but that sounds like a pain.

When you say "pain" you are referring to your side of the table (coding), correct? :(

In the off-chance you were referring to the player's experience, I would not mind each level loading. :)

Anyway, it's great to see this project resume.
  |    | 

Dicer

« Reply #341 on: September 15, 2015, 06:59:20 AM »

Why not AC CDrom? Loading between levels seems fine, because the audio tracks will have to jump as well anyway

Limiting it to Stupid/ED 2.0 seems like shrinking an already small audience even further...

spenoza

« Reply #342 on: September 15, 2015, 12:11:48 PM »
I really like the idea of ROM with CD support. That seems the best option, because then you could choose to leave in the original music for folks who want to play on the go or without CD. It also ensures the widest possible enjoyment.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #343 on: September 19, 2015, 07:45:01 PM »
I had a thought.  Besides my soundtrack added to this, what about Rushjet1's soundtrack?  It uses the NES sound engine, however, it utilizes some of the extra chips, notably, the VRC6.  Would that be possible to hack into this?  If nothing else, maybe atleast his renditions could be redbook.  Here's what I'm talking about, I think he did a great job on these!

http://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/mega-man-remade

Opethian

« Reply #344 on: September 20, 2015, 04:23:41 AM »
speaking of RUshJet his sounds of the 2A03 is legendary

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me