Author Topic: Megaman PCE thread  (Read 13583 times)

RegalSin

Re: Megaman PCE thread
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »
Can Mega Man X be possible??

HuCard Only

No, the PC Engine isn't powerful enough.

The PCE can do RMX-X5. Their is nothing it can not do, that was done on the SFC.

Black Tiger

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2012, 04:43:11 PM »
Can Mega Man X be possible??

HuCard Only

No, the PC Engine isn't powerful enough.

The PCE can do RMX-X5. Their is nothing it can not do, that was done on the SFC.

He said HuCard-only.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

RegalSin

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2012, 02:46:07 AM »
The PCE Hu-card limitation is probably 256MB limit, if done correctly. If we compared the SNES carts, to the PCE HU, and was released simutameously, they would match up. I mean all the post MMX games after the first one, up till, X5.

We are thinking about limitation, but most of the effects in 2d videogames are programmed effects, not just sprite, or background overlapping. The voice, and audio waves could be stored as with TOPSNES, and video data could run as well, but most likely will be shorter.

Lets not think about the limitations of the past, however, lets think about the abundance, ( and cheapness ) of the future.

Black Tiger

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2012, 07:16:21 AM »
The PCE Hu-card limitation is probably 256MB limit, if done correctly. If we compared the SNES carts, to the PCE HU, and was released simutameously, they would match up. I mean all the post MMX games after the first one, up till, X5.

We are thinking about limitation, but most of the effects in 2d videogames are programmed effects, not just sprite, or background overlapping. The voice, and audio waves could be stored as with TOPSNES, and video data could run as well, but most likely will be shorter.

Lets not think about the limitations of the past, however, lets think about the abundance, ( and cheapness ) of the future.

Even with a large HuCard and no extra hardware, how can the PCE match the of Megaman X, let alone do the justice the way that only the SNES can?

Keranu

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2012, 01:25:08 PM »
...let alone do the
justice the way that only the SNES can?

LOL!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

MottZilla

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2012, 05:32:26 PM »
That's an impressive demo. Is it practical to do the same technique while running an actual game? In other words is the only limitation the lack of memory? Though I'm guessing you lose some sound channels for sound effects that way?

Though don't forget that SNES did audio streaming in games like Clay Fighter and Earthworm Jim 2 as I recall.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2012, 02:53:35 AM »
That demo only takes 2 channels, IIRC.

So you'd have 4 left.

I am not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure doing a demonstration such as that one does eat up CPU resources, so you'd be better off doing what the PCE does best:  real chiptunes.

:)
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Black Tiger

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2012, 05:29:26 AM »

So you'd have 4 left.

I am not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure doing a demonstration such as that one does eat up CPU resources, so you'd be better off doing what the PCE does best:  real chiptunes.

Straight chiptunes will always be the most efficient, but I've heard how sloppy many PCE devs were with efficiency in games that still did a lot. Doesn't the sound engine in Air Zonk use up something crazy like 30% cpu resource? Yet it still tosses around a ton of action with screens full of sprites and parallax. Something as slow and action-lite by PCE standards as Megaman X should leave a bunch if cpu power free for frivolous sound stuff like software adpcm.

MottZilla

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2012, 06:04:37 AM »
That depends exactly how much in the way of cpu resources is taken up. If you wanted a comparable MMX1 on PCE all you need is SuperGrafx and the Arcade CDROM format. No problem then. ;)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2012, 08:52:39 AM »

So you'd have 4 left.

Straight chiptunes will always be the most efficient, but I've heard how sloppy many PCE devs were with efficiency in games that still did a lot. Doesn't the sound engine in Air Zonk use up something crazy like 30% cpu resource? Yet it still tosses around a ton of action with screens full of sprites and parallax. Something as slow and action-lite by PCE standards as Megaman X should leave a bunch if cpu power free for frivolous sound stuff like software adpcm.

Air Zonk is misleadingly action packed.  You don't waste much CPU resources just flinging retarded enemies at the player in predetermined patterns, lol.

There isn't exactly a bunch of AI.  It's just a bunch of pre-done sprite pushing.   So yeah, it can waste tons of CPU on the audio.

a game that has considerably more intelligent AI wouldn't be able to pull it off so good.

Plus, horizontal scrolling line parallax isn't a CPU whore process either.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Nando

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »

let alone do the
justice the way that only the SNES can?

HOLY CRAP!

Black Tiger

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2012, 02:44:58 PM »

So you'd have 4 left.

Air Zonk is misleadingly action packed.  You don't waste much CPU resources just flinging retarded enemies at the player in predetermined patterns, lol.

There isn't exactly a bunch of AI.  It's just a bunch of pre-done sprite pushing.   So yeah, it can waste tons of CPU on the audio.

a game that has considerably more intelligent AI wouldn't be able to pull it off so good.

Plus, horizontal scrolling line parallax isn't a CPU whore process either.

I figured that Air Zonk isn't the same as a standard platformer (although I've heard that collision in shooters can be the cause of games like TFIV choking), since it'd be more like Metal Slug, but Mega Man X still doesn't seem like much for the PCE to handle, aside from however much dynamic tiles might be used for parallax. The AI in MMX games doesn't seem much deeper than the Famicom MM games.

Kaijuboy

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2012, 07:22:28 PM »
I'm sure other peeps around here still have it. Try asking nicely. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Can some kind, wonderful, altruistic soul lead me to this fine fine download?   :pray:

Keith Courage

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2012, 07:47:26 PM »
I'm sure other peeps around here still have it. Try asking nicely. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Can some kind, wonderful, altruistic soul lead me to this fine fine download?   :pray:

Yeah, I know. That is what I was hoping for as well.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2012, 08:41:55 PM »
Are you guys after the Megaman CD ISO? If so, I have it, does the original author (Bonknuts?) mind if I submit a download link?