Author Topic: Megaman PCE thread  (Read 13549 times)

BlueBMW

Re: Megaman PCE thread
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2012, 03:51:01 PM »
I listen to a lot of video game music but the only stuff I regularly listen to from the NES era is the soundtracks to the original Mega Man games.... some fantastic stuff they did with so little to work with.

Of all mega man music, this one is one of my favorites.  I just love it at about 6 or 7 seconds...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

TheClash603

« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2012, 04:14:47 PM »
It feels like they had a good game in the works and then someone jammed the Gradius demo from Blades of Steel in the middle of it.

Now that's what we call metaphor folks.  Hah.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:25:32 PM by TheClash603 »

Bonknuts

« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2012, 04:54:30 PM »
The music for the first Wily's Castle level is quite possibly the most spine tinglingly nostalgia inducing 8-bit music track ever created:

*Shivers* Damn, that song kicks ass! Capcom's early work is the stuff of legends! :dance:

It's a great track (check out the remix .. ignore the second song in that video).

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2012, 06:31:06 PM »
Shockman is an average game with big pluses for music and two players. What killed it are the slow, boring stretches of auto scrolling and the half-assed shooter segments. It feels like they had a good game in the works and then someone jammed the Gradius demo from Blades of Steel in the middle of it.

Exactly, it's gotta be one of my favorite chip soundtracks ever.  There's really not alot you can do in the game though.  They really should've either made it more Contra'ish, by adding weapons  you can switch out, or Mega Manish by earning new weapons as you proceed.  It's a very subpar game in general unfortunately.

Drakon

« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2012, 03:02:29 AM »
I donated 30$ usd to the author so far.  It would have been more but me and my girlfriend literally just bought our first house.  Once we're more settled I'm sure I'll pump some more money into this.  2 player megaman would be so awesome.  However I'm not going to start making requests I'm just happy that this even exists, the idea of megaman 2 with cd audio makes me giddy enough already.

I think I'd rather have the cd audio be synths and computer generated instruments rather than live stuff.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:06:56 AM by Drakon »
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

Marll

« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2012, 05:44:02 AM »

The music for the first Wily's Castle level is quite possibly the most spine tinglingly nostalgia inducing 8-bit music track ever created:

I can listen to that track over and over, such a good tune.

A debate that friends and I have had about game music is how as the music got better in games over time (subjective I know) it has lost something, feels almost soul-less while the older 8 and 16 bit stuff is just awesome and inspiring. Early CD games also have that quality I think, I can easily conjure up tunes from 8 and 16bit games in my head, as well as music from games like Ys I&II, while a modern game I couldn't tell you what the music sounds like at all to be quite frank.

Rabid Turbo fan since 1989!
Happy F@ck eBay member since 2010

esteban

« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2012, 12:19:13 AM »
So with that in mind, I was thinking about making a megaman type of game (clone) for the PCE. Feedback?

This makes a lot of sense to me. I am sure there would be a lot of support for this (from us, at least).

SO, YES, DO IT!

Now, I know that it is difficult for folks to agree on what artistic direction a MM-clone for PCE should take (it's your baby, after all). So, I'll give my 2 cents, but you don't have to humor me (I won't be offended).

2 cents
You should make a clone, but with a twist. I wouldn't change the mechanics (since they are the essence of MM), but I would love for the PCE clone to exist in a TOTALLY DIFFERENT cosmos. Again, I'm talking aesthetics only. Stage design and enemy behaviors can mimic the original game. I hate to be lame, and I know there is the very real fear of "turning off" fans of the orginal, but would a cute medieval reboot of MM be interesting? Take MM's sterile high-technology and make it crude, gritty, and rusty. Iron, canvas, dirt, sand, leather, stone, timber...

Oh crap, I don't like this idea. :(

Just make sure our hero is a kick-ass lady (a young witch?) instead of a generic dude in a blue suit and I'll be happy. Yes, I'll trade one cliche for another.

IGNORE ALL THIS CRAP I WROTE. What I really want is Mega Man set in the Bonk Universe. Bonk has the organic cute world I love, but it mixes in some technology. Crude prehistoric technology. Awesome. But that doesn't solve your IP (intellectual property) dilemma. OH WELL.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 12:34:04 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2012, 11:03:46 AM »
Just because it's set in the Bonk universe, doesn't mean that Bonk or the Chikkun's have to exist, it could be a Bonkish styled world.

esteban

« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2012, 12:26:46 AM »
Just because it's set in the Bonk universe, doesn't mean that Bonk or the Chikkun's have to exist, it could be a Bonkish styled world.

You are absolutely correct. I don't need the Chikkuns.

BONK-STYLEE* IT IS!

ASIDE: Does anyone here remember Musical Youth and Yard Stylee? I was just listening to my old singles (33's & 45's). Good times. In my defense, I was only 8 when I bought the damn thing.

BACK ON TOPIC: Bonk-stylee.
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2012, 12:08:53 PM »
Ofcoarse, another way to go, would be to use Zonk in Bonk's world, since he's a bot like Megs.

Sadler

« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2012, 12:12:01 PM »
Ofcoarse, another way to go, would be to use Zonk in Bonk's world, since he's a bot like Megs.

I was just thinking the same thing! :D Without walking sprites that's probably a pain in the ass though. Actually probably a pain in the ass either way. :) But damn it'd be cool!

SamIAm

« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
What about Zonk in Zonk's world? That makes the most sense to me.

Hey Bonknuts, I'm very excited about Mega Man 2. Your port of the MM1 was the first time I ever properly played that game, and the same will hopefully be true of MM2 soon. :)

Sadler

« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2012, 02:01:19 PM »
MASSIVELY OFF TOPIC: The more I think about this, the more I think this would be the perfect homebrew hommage to TG fans. We got jacked late in the system's life. Air Zonk was amazing, but SAZ and Bonk 3 (including the CD) were such a let down. Just imagine a platforming Zonk game Megaman style. You could have shooting stages like Air Zonk, throw back stages in the Bonk universe, etc. It could be so, so awesome! :D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 02:03:27 PM by Sadler »

Bonknuts

« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2012, 05:26:34 AM »
MASSIVELY OFF TOPIC: The more I think about this, the more I think this would be the perfect homebrew hommage to TG fans. We got jacked late in the system's life. Air Zonk was amazing, but SAZ and Bonk 3 (including the CD) were such a let down. Just imagine a platforming Zonk game Megaman style. You could have shooting stages like Air Zonk, throw back stages in the Bonk universe, etc. It could be so, so awesome! :D

I admit, I also thought of Zonk when Bonk was mentioned in this thread. Especially when you consider the different weapons you get in Air Zonk. It's like a Megaman Shmup, in a way. Zonk in a megaman platform style universe sounds decent.

So, I've been kicking around the idea of multiplayer mode some more. 1-4 player modes; 2 player co-op, 2 player competitive, 3 player competitive, 4 player competitive, 4 player as two 2player teams competitive. In competitive mode, you compete for score. More enemies come out and you don't share resources (life or weapon energy). You're given a fixed amount of lives and no continues. But you can purchase additional lives using your 'score' points (at the time of death) and rejoin right back in. At first, I thought doing a mutiplayer mode would be hard to balance the original game design, but if the focus of the goals relative to the game are fairly different - then I don't have to worry about balancing 1 player design with multiplayer design. Matter of fact, I could add additional changes to the stages and such for multiplayer mode.

4 player mode would be taxing on the sprite scanline limit ( four 32x32 sprites is half the bandwidth for the scanline and then add in bullets and enemies - ugh). I could limit the bullets to one at a time, per player. That would be 12 out of 16 cells per scanline. Or alternate the bullets between two frames (some games do this) so you can shoot two at a time. There's definitely gonna be some flicker though in some instances.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #119 on: October 29, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »

I admit, I also thought of Zonk when Bonk was mentioned in this thread. Especially when you consider the different weapons you get in Air Zonk. It's like a Megaman Shmup, in a way. Zonk in a megaman platform style universe sounds decent.

So, I've been kicking around the idea of multiplayer mode some more. 1-4 player modes; 2 player co-op, 2 player competitive, 3 player competitive, 4 player competitive, 4 player as two 2player teams competitive. In competitive mode, you compete for score. More enemies come out and you don't share resources (life or weapon energy). You're given a fixed amount of lives and no continues. But you can purchase additional lives using your 'score' points (at the time of death) and rejoin right back in. At first, I thought doing a mutiplayer mode would be hard to balance the original game design, but if the focus of the goals relative to the game are fairly different - then I don't have to worry about balancing 1 player design with multiplayer design. Matter of fact, I could add additional changes to the stages and such for multiplayer mode.

4 player mode would be taxing on the sprite scanline limit ( four 32x32 sprites is half the bandwidth for the scanline and then add in bullets and enemies - ugh). I could limit the bullets to one at a time, per player. That would be 12 out of 16 cells per scanline. Or alternate the bullets between two frames (some games do this) so you can shoot two at a time. There's definitely gonna be some flicker though in some instances.
What if you went the Arcade card route? Would that help with the flickering?