Author Topic: Megaman PCE thread  (Read 13541 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Re: Megaman PCE thread
« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2013, 11:59:54 AM »
Browsing through the blog, I found this.

And finally, not MM related, Dragon Warrior. I never publicly released this game. It’s on CD. I’m gonna redo some the emulation code because this game was the very first NES2PCE project that I ever did, then release it publicly. I’ll have to figure out BRAM syscard lib and make a save option too.

This is the first time seeing this, and I surely hope it is still on the agenda.  I would love this!  Info taken from here http://pcedev.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/mm1-mm2/#comment-544

We did that several years ago, I think Tom had problems with memory being taken up by the map??  I don't quite remember, but Keranu & Fragmare both worked reworking the tiles & sprites, & I did several redbook versions of the tunes, but I never finished them all.  I think the castle & town tunes were done, the dungeon still needed more, as did the title screen.  The overworld theme was close to done.  I had a couple of different versions of the battle theme, I'm still not sure which one I liked best, but I did want to have 2 versions.  1 for regular battles, & 1 for "boss" battles, & I think we were going to make the "bosses" look slightly different, since in the original, they're just repaints of other enemies.  I'm sure there's another tune or 2 I'm forgetting.  I was working on an evil town theme, where I mixed the music of the dungeon, with the instruments of the town theme.  IIRC, Tom was going to try n' hack the game, so that when you wanted to talk or search, you didn't have to open up a menu each time!  Oh, I think either Black Tiger or Frag (or both) reworked the title screen, so that it looked like the usual Dragon Quest logo, but said Dragon Warrior.

We also tossed ideas around of seeing if we could make some limited cinemas, maybe taking snippets from the old Dragon Quest anime.  That's all I can recall at the moment. 

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »
Please tell me it's something not forgotten...

Edmond Dantes

« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2013, 01:03:23 PM »
Boss, by chance is the Megaman 2 CD image going to release anytime soon? I wants to play!!!  :lol:
Pure speculation: Bonknuts is only releasing the hucard ROM at this time to avoid another anime4ever debacle.

What "debacle" would that be?  I googled and didn't find anything that sounded similar to this.

Keranu

« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2013, 04:09:06 PM »

And finally, not MM related, Dragon Warrior. I never publicly released this game. It’s on CD. I’m gonna redo some the emulation code because this game was the very first NES2PCE project that I ever did, then release it publicly. I’ll have to figure out BRAM syscard lib and make a save option too.

This is the first time seeing this, and I surely hope it is still on the agenda.  I would love this!  Info taken from here http://pcedev.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/mm1-mm2/#comment-544

We did that several years ago, I think Tom had problems with memory being taken up by the map??  I don't quite remember, but Keranu & Fragmare both worked reworking the tiles & sprites, & I did several redbook versions of the tunes, but I never finished them all.  I think the castle & town tunes were done, the dungeon still needed more, as did the title screen.  The overworld theme was close to done.  I had a couple of different versions of the battle theme, I'm still not sure which one I liked best, but I did want to have 2 versions.  1 for regular battles, & 1 for "boss" battles, & I think we were going to make the "bosses" look slightly different, since in the original, they're just repaints of other enemies.  I'm sure there's another tune or 2 I'm forgetting.  I was working on an evil town theme, where I mixed the music of the dungeon, with the instruments of the town theme.  IIRC, Tom was going to try n' hack the game, so that when you wanted to talk or search, you didn't have to open up a menu each time!  Oh, I think either Black Tiger or Frag (or both) reworked the title screen, so that it looked like the usual Dragon Quest logo, but said Dragon Warrior.

We also tossed ideas around of seeing if we could make some limited cinemas, maybe taking snippets from the old Dragon Quest anime.  That's all I can recall at the moment.  

I'd still be down with finishing that project if everyone else was committed. Some great work was put into that, shame to see it go to waste.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Bardoly

« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2013, 05:19:23 PM »

This is the first time seeing this, and I surely hope it is still on the agenda.  I would love this!  Info taken from here http://pcedev.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/mm1-mm2/#comment-544

We did that several years ago, I think Tom had problems with memory being taken up by the map??  I don't quite remember, but Keranu & Fragmare both worked reworking the tiles & sprites, & I did several redbook versions of the tunes, but I never finished them all.  I think the castle & town tunes were done, the dungeon still needed more, as did the title screen.  The overworld theme was close to done.  I had a couple of different versions of the battle theme, I'm still not sure which one I liked best, but I did want to have 2 versions.  1 for regular battles, & 1 for "boss" battles, & I think we were going to make the "bosses" look slightly different, since in the original, they're just repaints of other enemies.  I'm sure there's another tune or 2 I'm forgetting.  I was working on an evil town theme, where I mixed the music of the dungeon, with the instruments of the town theme.  IIRC, Tom was going to try n' hack the game, so that when you wanted to talk or search, you didn't have to open up a menu each time!  Oh, I think either Black Tiger or Frag (or both) reworked the title screen, so that it looked like the usual Dragon Quest logo, but said Dragon Warrior.

We also tossed ideas around of seeing if we could make some limited cinemas, maybe taking snippets from the old Dragon Quest anime.  That's all I can recall at the moment. 

I'd still be down with finishing that project if everyone else was committed. Some great work was put into that, shame to see it go to waste.

Do it!!!!!!!!

vestcoat

« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2013, 05:31:29 AM »
What "debacle" would that be?  I googled and didn't find anything that sounded similar to this.
Anime4ever, AKA Fudoh, is a forum lurker that took an early version of Bonknuts freely-available ISO of the first Megaman PCE port, burned it on high-quality CD-Rs, made some packaging, and is selling it for €49. Not only is his gouging price insane, but he's passing it off as a legitimate PCE release. He neglects to inform his customers that they're paying fifty euro for a CD-R, he doesn't tell them that it's a free homebrew hack, he doesn't tell them that it's not the latest version, and he doesn't credit Bonknuts for doing all of the work.

Edmond Dantes

« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2013, 05:50:23 PM »
I hope that guy got banned or something.  Anime4ever, I mean.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2013, 10:58:53 AM »
Someone made this comment on an old video of mine:

"You guys ought to look up a blog done by a member of numerous forums with the username "Fudoh". He's got a LOT of info about the XRGB series, as well as other varieties of scalers and video processors to use with retro consoles."

I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't look up his blog.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:04:53 AM by Joe Redifer »

Keith Courage

« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2013, 09:39:13 PM »
I loved that video. I stand by a CRT TV myself and think it's great that you guys showed and explained why.  Not to mention I laughed a lot. You two have worked your favoritism for certain consoles into your videos in an informative yet comical way. Keep it up
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:55:35 PM by Keith Courage »

seieienbu

« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2013, 11:44:39 PM »

I would love to play through Dragon Warrior on my turbo cd.  That's one of my favorite NES games.

I made a bunch of videos!

I like your videos a lot!  Informative and pretty funny.  Since I saw that last one linked I've spent a while watching your stuff.  Good work.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:47:44 PM by seieienbu »
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NightWolve

« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2013, 07:06:23 AM »
"You guys ought to look up a blog done by a member of numerous forums with the username "Fudoh". He's got a LOT of info about the XRGB series, as well as other varieties of scalers and video processors to use with retro consoles."

Kudos, that was fun!

mac

« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2013, 10:31:09 AM »
Although I'm not so sure about a Zonk themed Megaman clone, I threw this together for fun.

Oh my ? Started throwing money at the screen when I saw this.

So where do we send funds to support these projects ?

Bonknuts

« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2014, 02:25:01 PM »
Cleaning up some old stuffs...  :dance:
(meh, just read the video description)

Keith Courage

« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2014, 02:41:19 PM »
I just noticed that you now have this available for download on your website with the Redbook CD audio. Awesome! I am playing it right now and the music definitely adds to the game. My only question is that in your video here I see a nice CD icon when the CD is loading when on my DUO I sometimes get a quickly shown garbled screen of some type the CD loads before a boss battle. Also, not sure if it has something to do with my setup but the screen has almost a half an inch of black at the top all the way across. Other then those things this is great! Thank you
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:44:49 PM by Keith Courage »

Bonknuts

« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2014, 03:44:56 PM »
The video is a newer version than the download. I want to add a few more things, before I release this version.

The screen is purposely clipped, because the NES (this game anyway) shows garbage up there when it scroll vertically (Same on the real nes). If your TV is adjusted to show more than normal overscan - then the border will be bigger (top/bottom). Or you TV might be shifting the image down (TV isn't centering the image correctly). I could probably add vertical adjust to the boot menu of the game. Wouldn't be that hard. I'm already making a boot menu for other things (easy mode, PSG volume, etc).

But yeah, the garbage screen is the old version. The CD icon is the new version ;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:51:09 PM by Bonknuts »