Author Topic: Megaman PCE thread  (Read 13509 times)

deubeul

Re: Megaman PCE thread
« Reply #210 on: February 03, 2014, 12:44:20 AM »
As far as I know, he's not selling the Megaman one in the pic. That's his personal copy. As long as he's not selling a preloaded Megaman+label (which I'm ~pretty~ sure he isn't, from looking at the forum) - then I'm fine with it. People can make their own personal repros. People can make repro's for other people too, as long as there's no profit involved (including community pressings of anything I release for free. Do as you want, just don't pull a profit from it). As long as there's no profit involved, you can do whatever you want with said free stuffs/works.

I'm a member of this forum, the blank hucard has been created recently by someone who wants to put a french translated Neutopia on it. The member who did the Megaman hucard is a long long time cartmodder on many hardwares, and being able to make hucards was an old dream came true for him. Selling it is not his purpose and is even a joking subject in the thread.

Black Tiger

« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2014, 01:51:34 AM »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

deubeul

« Reply #212 on: February 03, 2014, 05:55:25 AM »
What do you mean?

fragmare

« Reply #213 on: February 03, 2014, 06:03:35 AM »
Was dicking around with hi-color megaman tiles this morning and came up with this

:)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:10:21 AM by fragmare »

saturndual32

« Reply #214 on: February 03, 2014, 06:37:30 AM »
Was dicking around with hi-color megaman tiles this morning and came up with this

That looks so sweet!!
I love all the improvements that are going to take place, but there is something, that maybe isnt necesary at all, but i will just throw it out there: Mega Man chiptunes taking advantage of the awesome PCE soundchip. Maybe having an option between CD tracks or the chiptunes. I know its a lot of extra work, hehe, but i have curiosity about how good they could sound.
This project is awesome!

esteban

« Reply #215 on: February 03, 2014, 07:40:56 AM »

That looks so sweet!!
I love all the improvements that are going to take place, but there is something, that maybe isnt necesary at all, but i will just throw it out there: Mega Man chiptunes taking advantage of the awesome PCE soundchip. Maybe having an option between CD tracks or the chiptunes. I know its a lot of extra work, hehe, but i have curiosity about how good they could sound.
This project is awesome!

Yes, I think many folks would love have both PSG and Red Book options...but I'll take whatever is given to me  .
  |    | 

Bonknuts

« Reply #216 on: February 03, 2014, 08:53:47 AM »

That looks so sweet!!
This project is awesome!

That is on my option list. Especially since this is going to be both a hucard and SuperCD version (possibly ACD version as well, for cutting down on loading). I'll be replacing the NES music engine with a PCE one. But that's probably one of the last things I'll be working on. I'll need a chiptune artist, but I can't really go looking for one until I ready/at that point. Mostly, because I want to modify/design the sound engine around what the chiptune artist wants, feature wise.

Fragmare, nice work. I'll be extending the number of 'tile' available for the BG. So more unique tiles. I also want to extend the length of the stages as bit. Also, did you log into the forums yet? I'm working on the enemies for Cutman's stage. I have one left to do (boss door guardian). They're just place holders for now, though. I'll post the place holder graphics on the site, so you have an idea of what I'm working on.

deubeul: That's what I gathered, from reading the forum (though french->english translators aren't the greatest yet). I love the white silk mark over the whole hucard - makes it look all fancy :D

Off topic; I noticed that Megaman has a few bugs in the sprite handling routine. That is to say, some frames are not being shown in game - but the graphics are there. The 'Flea' enemy has three frames of animation in vram, but only two are shown via the sprite handler. The Wily Wars port shows all three. Like wise, some enemies have more frames of animation - but they don't exist in vram - so they point to redundant frames. I've been toying with the idea of adding a few extra frames here and there to enemies.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:03:33 AM by Bonknuts »

nodtveidt

« Reply #217 on: February 03, 2014, 09:24:16 AM »
I have an idea for chip music:

-Get a NSF rip of the original music
-Get nsf2midi and convert the tracks to MIDI
-Get 3MLE and convert the MIDI to MML
-Squirrelize it :D

I don't know if that would work but hey, it was an idea. :)

fragmare

« Reply #218 on: February 03, 2014, 11:34:23 AM »
Fragmare, nice work. I'll be extending the number of 'tile' available for the BG. So more unique tiles. I also want to extend the length of the stages as bit. Also, did you log into the forums yet? I'm working on the enemies for Cutman's stage. I have one left to do (boss door guardian). They're just place holders for now, though. I'll post the place holder graphics on the site, so you have an idea of what I'm working on.

Yea, I'm on the forums now.  Username fragmare.

As for extra tiles and extended stages, go for it.  I'm down to draw new ones.  :)  Though, I'd say get the tile map 1:1 with the NES version first, then go from there.

Here's a little comparison pic btw.  left = NES, middle = Wily Wars, right = PC-Engine:

Dare I say it?  The PCE version looks as good, if not better than, Wily Wars, while remaining more faithful to the NES original.

Edit: Tweaked sky/cloud colors for MAX NOSTALGIA  haha
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:37:01 PM by fragmare »

nodtveidt

« Reply #219 on: February 03, 2014, 12:28:35 PM »
Yeah, I think it looks a bit better than Wily Wars. It's close, but better.

esteban

« Reply #220 on: February 03, 2014, 01:01:03 PM »

Yeah, I think it looks a bit better than Wily Wars. It's close, but better.

Agreed! 
  |    | 

saturndual32

« Reply #221 on: February 03, 2014, 01:15:25 PM »
Great idea to put them side by side, fragmare.

Judging from those pics, i like your sprite better than the Sega one. I particulary dont like the ears on the Sega sprite.

Having parallax was cool on Wily Wars, but i prefer the colors and artwork on your version, overall.
Man, it looks so much better than the NES version, its not even funny. Make me wonder what a Rockman game, written from scratch to take full advantage of the PCE, would look like.

As it is, you guys sure are kicking ass!. Keep it up!

NightWolve

« Reply #222 on: February 03, 2014, 01:19:47 PM »
Here's a little comparison pic btw.  left = NES, middle = Wily Wars, right = PC-Engine:

Dare I say it?  The PCE version looks as good, if not better than, Wily Wars, while remaining more faithful to the NES original.

Hey, that's fantastic! I might just have to give the game a whole playthrough when you guys are finished. I think the CD version is the most appealing. It's nice to know a HuCard version will be available though if one wanted to play it on a TurboExpress with TurboEverdrive, etc.

fragmare

« Reply #223 on: February 03, 2014, 02:29:28 PM »
One thing I'll say about the Wily Wars version of the Cutman stage... IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE INDOORS!  At least i never got that impression playing the original NES game.  I made mine outdoors, the way it should be!  :)

TheOldMan

« Reply #224 on: February 03, 2014, 02:55:55 PM »
Very nice, Tom. I've been using the old build to test the Ab cards; maybe it's time to upgrade :) (BTW, I suck at the game.) Does it still fit in 512K? :)

For those of you asking about cards, get together and make a plan. The circuit layout is dead easy, getting the physical boards made isn't too expensive, and the EPROM chips are about $5 each (you need parallel ones). Find people who can solder small chips, and a few folks with eeprom programmers (yes, I have one), and we could do it. Just need someone to oversee it all.

Tom: Sorry to hear about the concussion.  I'm like that when I don't get enough sleep. Here's hoping work doesn't interfere quite so much until you get done with this :)

Keep up the good work. We're rooting for your.
Saw your post on the ipl palette problems. I had to laugh at that - it's almost as bad as the one in the irq routine [save A,X,Y and restore them. But not the flags register? What if the irq occurs in the middle of a cmp / branch pair? ]