Author Topic: Megaman PCE thread  (Read 13464 times)

esteban

Re: Megaman PCE thread
« Reply #345 on: September 20, 2015, 05:14:55 AM »

I had a thought.  Besides my soundtrack added to this, what about Rushjet1's soundtrack?  It uses the NES sound engine, however, it utilizes some of the extra chips, notably, the VRC6.  Would that be possible to hack into this?  If nothing else, maybe atleast his renditions could be redbook.  Here's what I'm talking about, I think he did a great job on these!

http://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/mega-man-remade

What a rich sound.

And in stereo.

I will offer PCE fans an a cappella rendition of entire soundtrack (I'll record it myself).
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #346 on: September 20, 2015, 11:04:29 AM »
Some of his ideas for expanding the MM1 soundtrack are similar to mine, though I tend to do more medley's with my tunes than he does.  Either way, it's a great soundtrack IMO.  Accapella sounds nice as well, maybe I'll take a stab at it! :D

esteban

« Reply #347 on: September 20, 2015, 03:48:40 PM »

Some of his ideas for expanding the MM1 soundtrack are similar to mine, though I tend to do more medley's with my tunes than he does.  Either way, it's a great soundtrack IMO.  Accapella sounds nice as well, maybe I'll take a stab at it! :D

I can't wait to hear your friggin' work! :)
  |    | 

technozombie

« Reply #348 on: September 20, 2015, 04:19:08 PM »
It's awesome to see that this is still being done. Bonknuts you are something else that's for sure.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #349 on: September 20, 2015, 06:32:41 PM »

I can't wait to hear your friggin' work! :)

Thanks!  To be clear, when I said it's a great soundtrack IMO, I meant his, not mine.  However, I enjoy my version as well, probably my favorite still being the final boss tune/medley I mixed up for Wily himself, sometimes that song gives me goosebumps, not even sure how I pulled it off!

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #350 on: September 27, 2015, 06:14:40 PM »
Decided that Ice Man was getting out of hand, so I shortened my plan for it, so I'm nearing completion of it.  However, I'm now leaning more towards adding 3 more songs to the game.  Basically, the Wily levels only have 2 tunes.  I'm thinking of making alternate versions of each of those.  Plus, I'm thinking of having a specific boss tune for Copy Mega Man.  I wanted to base that song on tunes that are related to any kind of copy of Mega Man thruout the series, like Quint in MMII GB(which barely has a tune for him) or Copy X from MM Zero(no song seems to fit from here however).  I haven't settled on anything yet though, I might skip that one.  Either way, this will mean the soundtrack itself will obviously take longer.....but that much doper! :D

I'm not 100% sold on this, so these would probably be the last songs I do, including after I do the Title screen.  But I do have some neat ideas for them, so, I probably will do it.  If anyone has any ideas of songs that might work well with Copy Mega Man, feel free to give me suggestions!  Quint, does also appear in MMV GB, but it just uses the standard boss theme.  Still, I have that one in mind as an idea.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 06:16:22 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

Windcharger

« Reply #351 on: October 01, 2015, 11:56:45 AM »
I had a thought.  Besides my soundtrack added to this, what about Rushjet1's soundtrack?  It uses the NES sound engine, however, it utilizes some of the extra chips, notably, the VRC6.  Would that be possible to hack into this?  If nothing else, maybe atleast his renditions could be redbook.  Here's what I'm talking about, I think he did a great job on these!

http://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/mega-man-remade

Wow, this really is great.  Very impressive...

NightWolve

« Reply #352 on: October 01, 2015, 05:03:24 PM »
Here's what I'm talking about, I think he did a great job on these!

Yeah, that's a nice find, I think the title screen music is great and better than the original, but honestly, going through the stage music I found I prefer the originals somewhat more.

Bonknuts

« Reply #353 on: October 02, 2015, 06:19:27 AM »
 I really need to put in a new PCE chip sound engine into the game, but converting over the sound FX too. Not a big deal, but it does mean either logging writes from the nes2pce sound emulation or learning the format of the original engine and decode the sound data.

I have Air Zonk's engine already rebuilt as source code, so I can probably modify that for use with it. Squirrel is more powerful, but might be too resource heavy for kind of thing (squirrel+sample streaming). Dunno. I need to look at it still.

For Air Zonk, I wrote a simple script engine to parse a text file. Though if anyone has more experience with writing script compilers, I could always use the help.

I definitely want the use of a sample channel in the game (both for sound FX and for chiptune use). That alone is going to take up a little bit of cpu resource (interrupt driven). That's why I'm thinking of something more light on the sound engine side (narrow down the features to what's needed for this kind of game related music).

Also, I'll just leave this here:
. Dayman? Hmm.

elmer

« Reply #354 on: October 02, 2015, 09:25:33 AM »
For Air Zonk, I wrote a simple script engine to parse a text file. Though if anyone has more experience with writing script compilers, I could always use the help.

Depending upon the complexity of the syntax that you want to use, I've generally found that either doing a simple CRC32 of a string to tokenize it, or using RE2C (http://re2c.org/) should be enough.

Most simple scripting isn't even going to need a serious parser at all, and you can just hand-write everything.

If you really want to do a complex language, then even though the rabid Unix folks love lexx and yacc, I prefer the simplicity and debugability of a recursive-decent parser.

At that point I'd personally steer you towards Coco/R (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coco/R) rather than ANTLR (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANTLR).

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #355 on: October 08, 2015, 09:59:39 PM »
Finished Ice Man!  I do have a few teeny touch ups to do to it, nothing serious at all, so, it's done(which I didn't think I'd be able to do right now with my hard drive problems holding me back).  Now it's time for my mind to get in the mode for Dr. Wily's 1st Stage & thinking/obsessing on how I want to expand upon what I already composed for it well over a year ago!

Bonknuts

« Reply #356 on: October 09, 2015, 07:43:07 AM »
If you really want to do a complex language..

Haha. I don't. Thanks for the links though. Writing the parser part wasn't that back actually. But I have no math support or embedding (stuff inside brackets), or symbol support (though I do have label support). So it's bare bones. It's enough for now though, if need be.

TailChao

« Reply #357 on: October 09, 2015, 09:21:00 AM »

Haha. I don't. Thanks for the links though. Writing the parser part wasn't that back actually. But I have no math support or embedding (stuff inside brackets), or symbol support (though I do have label support). So it's bare bones. It's enough for now though, if need be.
You're always welcome to tear apart any of the SASS compilers I've written.
The one in BupBoop is likely easiest to modify, it was written last and is the most documented.

Bonknuts

« Reply #358 on: October 09, 2015, 05:24:02 PM »

You're always welcome to tear apart any of the SASS compilers I've written.
The one in BupBoop is likely easiest to modify, it was written last and is the most documented.

You realize that means me bugging you with all sorts of questions - lol.

elmer

« Reply #359 on: October 09, 2015, 05:59:01 PM »
You realize that means me bugging you with all sorts of questions - lol.

Haha ... along as you stick within LALR(1), you're fine.

What you've already done in your NES-to-PCE work is years beyond what you're going to be asked to do going through CompSci courses.

You're going to hit all this stuff, and it's not that crazy.

At least until you contemplate C++ (created by a fraking academic) that's totally un-parsable without a complete knowledge of the language implementation and the precise current-state understanding of exactly what has gone before.

C++ breaks just-about-every maxim of sensible language design.  ](*,)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:01:00 PM by elmer »