Author Topic: TG16 RF problems  (Read 351 times)

tpivette

TG16 RF problems
« on: March 16, 2012, 07:23:42 AM »
So after finding my old TG16 in my parents basement (it has been sitting since 93/94), I became really interested in this system again and decided to hook it up and see if it still worked. While I managed to find the original A/C adapter, the RF switch was missing. So I picked up a universal switch at a local video game store, plugged it in, and to my surprise, the old TG16 worked flawlessly after all these years!

However, the picture is a bit fuzzier than I believe it should be. I'm guessing this has to do with the RF unit rather than the system itself. Would the picture quality improve with an original NEC RF switch? Or is there an aftermarket company you guys can point me to that makes quality replacements? Or perhaps there's anoher problem I'm unaware of?

Thanks for any help in advance
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Bernie

Re: TG16 RF problems
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:34:34 AM »
I would certainly try another RF cable.  Another alternative is to by a Turbo Booster Plus, and just use A/V cables.  :)  I say buy the Plus, since you can save games with it.

tpivette

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 07:52:35 AM »
Aren't they kind of rare and expensive (just to use A/V cables on a TG16)? I've looked into buying a CD base unit, which is the same thing, only cheaper right? However, I'll admit, the Booster Plus retains the original shape of the TG16 unit, while just adding a CD base makes the system look unfnished...

Will the CD base allow me to save as well?

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 08:10:32 AM »
Boosters and BoosterPluses are for collectors only; you're better off saving the money for a Duo or CD add-on.  Plus, if you're handy you can tap a/v off the expansion bus for pennies.

Will the CD base allow me to save as well?

Yep.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 09:20:53 AM »
Alternatively you can add RCA jacks to what you have if you are handy with a soldering iron. A set of panel mount rca jacks are only 3.99 at radio shack.

tpivette

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 10:11:49 AM »
Alternatively you can add RCA jacks to what you have if you are handy with a soldering iron. A set of panel mount rca jacks are only 3.99 at radio shack.
This is what I was thinking of trying. Getting a spare TG16 cover and modding it to act and look like a Turbo Booster. Guess I have to start searching the forums to see how its done

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

Bernie

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 11:40:35 AM »
This is what I was thinking of trying. Getting a spare TG16 cover and modding it to act and look like a Turbo Booster. Guess I have to start searching the forums to see how its done

These guys here can do it for ya at a reasonable rate.  Ive had many systems modded/repaired, right here in these forums.

tpivette

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 02:49:33 PM »
Did a temporary mod to a cheap set of RCA cables... opened them up, stripped the three wires, crimped them to some female pin connectors, and plugged them into the back of the TG16. Fired it up, and man what a difference! I never remember the picture being that clear, even when brand new! RCAs vs RF... there is no comparison!

Eventually, I'll do a permanent RCA mod, but in the meantime, this is functional enough so I can continue to play the system. When my PC Engine Duo arrives and I get started playing Dragon Slayer (and I won't be using the TG16 as much), then I'll permanently do the RCAs

Thanks for all who helped!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

meka

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 01:53:14 AM »
Can't you use any rf modulator, but a RCA mod would be a lot better.

esteban

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 02:57:36 AM »
I never remember the picture being that clear, even when brand new! RCAs vs RF... there is no comparison!

As Jon would say, "RF doesn't even compare to composite" (RCA).
  |    | 

incrediblehark

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 03:09:26 AM »
the title of your thread says it all, RF is the problem