Author Topic: Are the "RPGs" on the TurboGrafx16/CD worth playing?  (Read 2348 times)

esteban

Re: Are the "RPGs" on the TurboGrafx16/CD worth playing?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 04:32:46 PM »
To answer the original question: Yes. 
  |    | 

spenoza

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 04:48:36 PM »
I like a good story in an RPG, but a good story cannot make up for lackluster gameplay. The reason for this is that gameplay is, as has already been mentioned, most of what you are doing. As I get older, I find I have little patience for townspeople who have little nothings to say, leaving you hunting around town for the dialogue you need, fighting to separate it from all the "flavor" dialogue that's actually pretty bland, overly simplistic, and/or badly written. I love CF2 when I was a kid, but I would probably lose patience pretty quickly with it now because of the seriously hobbled combat system.

The best RPG combat system:

1. Is balanced in the challenge department. It is frustrating having to grind mooks for 2 hours because the next area is WAY harder than the earlier one. The flip side is wasting time fighting encounters that are just button mashing. If you don't have to engage your brain at all, why is the encounter even there? This balance can be pretty hard to achieve, and IMO separates the truly good RPG developers from the wannabes.

2. Is complex enough to be engaging, with clues about strategy. I dislike overly simplistic battles, because they often devolve into button mashing and disengagement. I also like to have an idea of what's going on. Final Fantasy 6 and 7 were particularly notorious about throwing weird enemies at you that had no place in the environment/ecosystem, with weaknesses that could not be guessed and/or made no sense without straight-out experimentation. I like strategic battles. That said, I don't want every RPG battle system to be like Tactics Ogre. I'm OK with the good guys on the bottom or the right and the baddies on the left or top of the screen.

3. Provides you the option to be turn-based instead of real time. I don't always like to be under a timer. Sometimes I have things to do, and the RPG is what I'm doing while I wait. I want to have to think, not to twitch. Nothing wrong with RTS games or real-time battle systems, but I like to have the option of turning it off so I can take my time and relax. For this same reason I don't like battle systems where to get the truly effective or powerful attacks you have to play rhythm games (hitting the right buttons in the right sequence with the right timing) in the middle of battle.

4. Distinguishes between character abilities. One thing I didn't like about Final Fantasy III/6 was that everyone could use any of the Materia spells. You could soup up every character with a list of spells the length of your arm. By the time you were done playing with Materia only the base character abilities were different. Everyone could heal, for example. Sure, some characters were a bit better at it, but at the higher levels it didn't matter, really. Everyone could cure status effects, too. You didn't have to have a dedicated healer at all. FF III/6 was tolerable, but other games in the FF series were worse, as were other games in other series. Grandia got this right, IMO. You could equip spell eggs on any character, but the spells they got from the egg were different because the characters were different. I don't want characters who can do everything. I want to have to strategize.

5. Is quick and user-accessible. Because balancing challenge is so difficult (see 1) and people may breeze through some areas or grind in others, you cannot always account for an absolute level of challenge (and to do so with auto-leveling enemies has its own share of problems). For this reason, combat needs to be fast. If text is super slow or complex animations are unskippable (I'm looking at you, FFVII summons) you can really got bogged down by easy encounters, in part because they are no challenge and not much fun but they take forever to get through. On the other side of this, if the menu and interaction systems are overly complex or badly designed, you can end up making silly mistakes in an important or difficult battle, or lose an important item in your inventory because you have to spend so long digging around for it. A complex interface can also slow down easy battles.

Yup, I'm pretty demanding, but any company that can hit all of those square on the head deserves my money, and lots of it.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 01:51:50 AM »
Did anyone mention M&M 1 and the 3 wizardry games (that actually amount to 5 wizardry games)?

Those are great, and they can be played with no moon rune knowledge whatsoever, basically.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

storino03

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 08:45:53 PM »
Looked up Cosmic Fantasy 2. Looks cool. Was there ever a Cosmic Fantasy 1? Just wondering why it seemingly skips to 2 as far as English releases go. Anyway, too bad Gulliver Boy wasn't localised. Looks nice!

TR0N

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 09:02:19 PM »
Looked up Cosmic Fantasy 2. Looks cool. Was there ever a Cosmic Fantasy 1? Just wondering why it seemingly skips to 2 as far as English releases go. Anyway, too bad Gulliver Boy wasn't localised. Looks nice!
Yes there is a CF1 but never released in the u.s the same for CF3&4.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

esteban

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2012, 05:09:55 AM »

There is a thread (recently active) that discussed Gulliver Boy (it is one of the few games that utilized "HuVideo", a compressed video format that looked nice considering the PCE hardware).

As for Cosmic Fantasy 2: the story in this game is what makes it endearing.  A lot of folks will tell you that the encounter rate is very high and off-putting to folks who are used to contemporary RPG's. I think Working Designs was interested in CF2 because Vic knew that the characters/story/cinemas would win over english-speaking nerds.

PICO!
  |    | 

storino03

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 11:35:27 AM »
Can you post the link to the thread here?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 04:04:24 AM »
Can you post the link to the thread here?

I think this thread is the one to which The Cook was referring (it's a little way in).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 04:12:37 AM »

As for Cosmic Fantasy 2: the story in this game is what makes it endearing.  A lot of folks will tell you that the encounter rate is very high and off-putting to folks who are used to contemporary RPG's. I think Working Designs was interested in CF2 because Vic knew that the characters/story/cinemas would win over english-speaking nerds.

PICO!

Story and overall presentation, great art, character designs, nice looking cut scenes and it has a very well written English script and scenario. Of the two classic style RPGs on the US Turbo CD, I've always felt Dragon Slayer is a better game mechanically but Cosmic Fantasy 2 is a more enjoyable experience due to the better art, story, characters, dub, dialogue and scenerios.
--DragonmasterDan

KingDrool

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 05:29:51 AM »
CF2 was the first RPG I ever played through 'til the end, and I still love it. The encounter rate is a bit off-putting, but I still pull it out and play bits from time-to-time. I would agree with DragonmasterDan that Dragon Slayer is probably the better game, gameplay-wise, but CF2 has better presentation.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

geise

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 06:06:41 AM »
MAROOGA NUTS!

Even with not knowing that much japanese I still love playing the Far east of eden games.  Once you get used to the menu system I find the games very enjoyable.  Don't forget the Legend of Xanadu games.  I would still like others have said check out CF2 and Dragon Slayer.  I love them, and the bad voice acting makes it what it is.  An early released japanese rpg in the states.

Duo_R

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 06:36:59 AM »
I breifly tried CF2, kinda got bored with it at first. Tried it again about a year ago and blitzed through the game. It's really old school, and extremely dated (even for the 16 bit era) but somehow it had its charm. The ending had me a little confused, but oh well.
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

storino03

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 06:39:13 AM »
Just bought these RPGs:

Gulliver Boy (even though it's in Japanese, the style looks nice)
Exile
Ys Book 1 and 2
Cosmic Fantasy 2

geise

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 01:38:25 PM »
Congrats man!  You will be very happy with those.  Ys Book I&II is by far my favorite game on the Turbo.  Normally if it was shooters it would be Spriggan and Gate of Thunder, but Ys Book I&II is just superb.  Now it's more the lines of action/rpg, and so is Exile.  They aren't turn based like CF2, or other traditional JRPG's.  I hope you enjoy Ys as much as I do.  Haha!  Even if you are playing it 22 years after it's US release I hope it still makes the impact on you tha it did with me.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:42:30 PM by geise »

JapanTokei

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2012, 03:04:12 PM »
The final lap twin bundled rpg is great fun for sure and all in english if u buy the tg version.

And to another dude who said it..  Chrono trigger on the SNes is prob the most engulfing atmospherical experience ive ever been thru.  Unforgettable. 
2nd to that would be us version of Ys 1&2.  Hall of fame video game stuff there

Not traditional RPG but Cadash, Dungeon Explorer, Neutopia are all reasonably cheap action RPG. There's also World Court Tennis and Final Lap Twin, a racing and tennis RPG. There not that great but it's cool to have something so unique.