Author Topic: Are the "RPGs" on the TurboGrafx16/CD worth playing?  (Read 2358 times)

storino03

Are the "RPGs" on the TurboGrafx16/CD worth playing?
« on: April 23, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »
Being a huge RPG fan, can't help but notice that Working Designs made a few, and other non-RPGs, like Parasol Stars, etc.

Are those any good? Feedback welcome!

suikoman444

Re: Are the "RPGs" on the TurboGrafx16/CD worth playing?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:31:38 PM »
I'm right there with you. I almost exclusively play RPGs, easily my favorite genre. I recently got a few for the Turbografx but have only played a couple.

The Ys games are pretty awesome. They've been ported many times, but the TGCD versions are very great.

Double Dungeons is a dungeon exploring game, I'd probably pass on this unless you're really into this kind of game.

I'll be trying out Dungeon Explorer 1 and 2, Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Dragon Slayer as soon as I get my TurboDuo back.

KingofGames

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »
The Neutopia games are great, though they are more Zelda-clone than RPG's. The Y's series is very old school, but not without it's charm. The soundtrack for Y's I & II is pretty rockin', but the combat is bizarre. You walk into enemies to damage them. I'd say give them a try, see if they gel with your tastes.

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 04:41:55 PM »
Lady Sword and Hi-Leg Fantasy all the way!!

storino03

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 04:44:39 PM »
Are all the games mentioned playable in English?

KingofGames

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 04:50:34 PM »
The Neutopia series and Y's are available in English. Neutopia 2 is pricey, but the others are affordable.

Sadler

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 04:52:33 PM »
Oh man, yeah. The system may have a reputation for shooters, but there are plenty of awesome RPGs. On the US side you've got Ys I & II, Ys III, Exile, Exile: Wicked Phenomenon, Cosmic Fantasy 2, Dragon Slayer, and Dungeon Explorer 2 at a minimum. There are a few FPS RPGs (MM3, DD and OotG?) and depending on how you stretch the definition of RPG, there's also Shape Shifter, Dragon's Curse, Dynastic Hero, Dungeon Explorer. I don't consider the Neutopia's RPGs, but they are awesome games.

If you go to the PCE side, there's even more! LoX 1 and 2, Anearth Fantasy Stories, Gulliver Boy, hentai, Xak, etc...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 04:52:52 PM »
Every RPG on the PCE is worth playing

Srsly.

If its an RPG, get it.  Play it.

Even if you can't read it.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

vestcoat

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 05:08:34 PM »
Do you like JRPGs or western RPGs?  JRPG fans tend to be disappointed with the U.S. offerings - Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Dragon Slayer.  CF2 has decent acting and an involved story if you like that linear stuff, but the gameplay hasn't aged well.  I like DS a lot, but most seem to be unhappy with the tiny graphics and bad acting.

If you're into western RPGs, weird shit, and mixed genres, the U.S. CDs have a lot to love, if you have deep pockets: Beyond Shadowgate, Dungeon Explorer 2, Dynastic Hero, Dungeon Master, Might and Magic III, Loom, Exile, Exile: Wicked Phenomenon, Shape Shifter.

The Working Designs games are:
Parasol Stars (hucard, Bubble Bobble)
Cadash (hucard, arcade sidescroller with RPG elements)
Cosmic Fantasy 2 (CD, JRPG)
Exile (CD, action/RPG)
Vasteel (CD, war strategy)
Exile: Wicked Phenomenon (Super CD)

Are all the games mentioned playable in English?
All except Lady Sword and Hi-Leg Fantasy.

There are a few FPS RPGs (MM3, DD and OotG?) and depending on how you stretch the definition of RPG,
"Stretch the definition"! If Might and Magic isn't the epitome of an RPG, you're out of your mind.

storino03

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 05:13:42 PM »
Every RPG on the PCE is worth playing

Srsly.

If its an RPG, get it.  Play it.

Even if you can't read it.

Uh, so what's the point in getting it if you can't understand it. I know there are probably translation guides/patches or something, but I don't do that route.

spenoza

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »
Wow, some of you guys have pretty loose definitions of what constitutes an RPG.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Sadler

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 05:30:47 PM »
There are a few FPS RPGs (MM3, DD and OotG?) and depending on how you stretch the definition of RPG,
"Stretch the definition"! If Might and Magic isn't the epitome of an RPG, you're out of your mind.

I haven't played Might and Magic, but from what I've seen I agree with you. The "stretch the definition of RPG" was meant for the games that followed: Shape Shifter, Dragon's Curse, Dynastic Hero, Dungeon Explorer, and the Neutopia's.

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 05:37:20 PM »
I can read Japanese well enough to get through games without a walk-through for the most part, but am I the only person who plays RPGs for the gameplay rather than the story? I'm a huge reader of fiction, and maybe because of this almost every RPG I've played has an incredible trite, cliched, and predictable story, especially those which came out through the 80's and early 90's. Sure, when I was a kid I enjoyed the stories of a few RPGs, but considering you spend 90% of your time fighting battles, traversing through dungeons, buying items, searching for clues, etc., to me that's where the meat of a game lies. The story is fairly unimportant to me, so usually I just skip through it unless it provides some information as to how to progress.

SMF

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 06:30:42 PM »
Yes..... I think that about sums it up lol.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

vestcoat

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 08:01:53 PM »
Wow, some of you guys have pretty loose definitions of what constitutes an RPG.
Yeah. In my book Metal Gear is an RPG and Cosmic Fantasy is a button masher.