Author Topic: Are the "RPGs" on the TurboGrafx16/CD worth playing?  (Read 2381 times)

Colossus1574

Re: Are the "RPGs" on the TurboGrafx16/CD worth playing?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 10:08:57 PM »
Wow, some of you guys have pretty loose definitions of what constitutes an RPG.
Yeah. In my book Metal Gear is an RPG and Cosmic Fantasy is a button masher.

I kinda agree with the CF comment...if i remembered right, it made nearly no difference whether u attacked with spells or weapons. They all looked the same, same effect, and practically the same damage. pretty much turn the rapid up on the I button and the fights over....

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 12:22:30 AM »

I kinda agree with the CF comment...if i remembered right, it made nearly no difference whether u attacked with spells or weapons. They all looked the same, same effect, and practically the same damage. pretty much turn the rapid up on the I button and the fights over....

There were some corners cut, especially with the battle system. But the game had great art, story and characters.
--DragonmasterDan

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 01:34:55 AM »
Every RPG on the PCE is worth playing

Srsly.

If its an RPG, get it.  Play it.

Even if you can't read it.

Uh, so what's the point in getting it if you can't understand it. I know there are probably translation guides/patches or something, but I don't do that route.

You don't have to beat it, but at least wiggle around in it for awhile and experience it.  Most of them are worth at least like 5 hours of your "I Dunno wtfs going on" time, since the cutscenes, music, graphics, and gameplay are all pretty awesome.

Most of the RPGs are like 5-10$ anyway, so you aren't out alot of money to at least half assedly experience some awesome shit.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

kamiboy

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 06:10:54 AM »
I can read Japanese well enough to get through games without a walk-through for the most part, but am I the only person who plays RPGs for the gameplay rather than the story? I'm a huge reader of fiction, and maybe because of this almost every RPG I've played has an incredible trite, cliched, and predictable story, especially those which came out through the 80's and early 90's. Sure, when I was a kid I enjoyed the stories of a few RPGs, but considering you spend 90% of your time fighting battles, traversing through dungeons, buying items, searching for clues, etc., to me that's where the meat of a game lies. The story is fairly unimportant to me, so usually I just skip through it unless it provides some information as to how to progress.

Wow, finally someone who feels the same about RPGs. In the last decade I've only played three of the sort whose design spoke to me, Vagrant Story, Demon's and Dark Souls. Incredibly rare for me to find an RPG that grabs me like those three did, but when they do, I retreat from reality for a good two to three months.

The ones from the cartridge era are more tolerable though. Space concerns did wonders for cutting down needless dialog boxes. Unfortunately gameplay was still select Figh to win almost every encounter.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:14:15 AM by kamiboy »

Keith Courage

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 07:52:29 AM »
There are many English RPGs that are worth playing.

Definitely the YS games and Neutopia series which have already been mentioned. I also enjoyed
Cosmic Fantasy 2, Dragon Slayer, Might and Magic III, Dungeons & Dragons: Order of the Griffon, Loom .

Here are games that I think would be classified as more of an action adventure game and not so much RPG but are also english.
Exile
Exile II
Cadash
Dungeon Explorer
Dungeon Explorer II
Dragons Curse
Final Lap Twin
Double Dungeons
Dungeon Master. Theron's quest
Shape Shifter

There are also 3 good CD fan made translations of RPGs to english that you can burn and play on the actual system
Ys IV
Xak III
Startling Odyssey 2
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:54:31 AM by Keith Courage »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 07:56:55 AM »
Don't leave out some PCE CD games that you can play without reading and still enjoy:

Xak 1/2/3
Fray
Efera and Jiliora
the LoH games
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Keith Courage

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 09:56:29 AM »
Yeah as far as those go it's personal preference. I tried to play Xak 1&2 as well as Efera and Jiliora before and I just couldn't do it. I played each one I think for about 30 minutes a piece and kept getting so pissed and bored that I couldn't tell what the hell was going on. I know there are walkthroughs for the games and all you have to do when you get stuck somewhere is to talk to as many people as possible etc....

I just don't have the patience for that or the will to want to play something where I don't know what people are saying.

SamIAm

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 10:33:13 AM »
I can read Japanese well enough to get through games without a walk-through for the most part, but am I the only person who plays RPGs for the gameplay rather than the story? I'm a huge reader of fiction, and maybe because of this almost every RPG I've played has an incredible trite, cliched, and predictable story, especially those which came out through the 80's and early 90's. Sure, when I was a kid I enjoyed the stories of a few RPGs, but considering you spend 90% of your time fighting battles, traversing through dungeons, buying items, searching for clues, etc., to me that's where the meat of a game lies. The story is fairly unimportant to me, so usually I just skip through it unless it provides some information as to how to progress.

I think we feel at least a little similarly about this. Having to fight through dungeons, against bosses, and a climactic final boss means no matter how many plot twists and funky characters you introduce, all RPGs have to be the same story at their core.

That said, the reason why I enjoy older RPG stories is because I think that in their simplicity, they do a good job serving to enhance to atmosphere of a game. When it comes to what's important to me in games, number one is gameplay, and number two is atmosphere.

PCE RPGs often have some pretty unique atmosphere going on. Whatever your language ability and preference in games, if you can appreciate this aspect of PCE RPGs, you'll enjoy them in general. As long as you can get along with the gameplay, that is.

On a final note, I'd say that the one RPG I've ever played that still strikes me as having truly elegant plot structure and storytelling by any standard is Chrono Trigger.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 11:15:02 AM »
For shame, no one mentioned the awesome Wizardry remakes which are essentially 90% English especially the overlooked Wizardry IV which (to my knowledge) has never been remade outside of Japan.

vestcoat

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 12:02:54 PM »
For shame, no one mentioned the awesome Wizardry remakes which are essentially 90% English especially the overlooked Wizardry IV which (to my knowledge) has never been remade outside of Japan.
I didn't mention is because he asked specifically about Turbografx-CD games and this is the U.S. forum.

Uh, so what's the point in getting it if you can't understand it. I know there are probably translation guides/patches or something, but I don't do that route.
I generally feel the same way. IMO, the only game you absolutely have to get even if you hate language barriers is Ys 4.  For action RPGs, you might to give some thought to the PCE versions of Dynastic Hero, Dungeon Explorer 2, and Exile 2 because they're only $12/each and the English versions are hundreds.
In the last decade I've only played three of the sort whose design spoke to me, Vagrant Story, Demon's and Dark Souls.

Wow. I don't even know what systems those games are on.

storino03

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 12:06:59 PM »
Vagrant Story is on the original Playstation.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are both on PS3.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 12:14:43 PM »
you might to give some thought to the PCE versions of Dynastic Hero, Dungeon Explorer 2, and Exile 2 because they're only $12/each and the English versions are hundreds.

And the US Exile 2 is broken.
--DragonmasterDan

Lilgrafx

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 12:18:05 PM »
Not traditional RPG but Cadash, Dungeon Explorer, Neutopia are all reasonably cheap action RPG. There's also World Court Tennis and Final Lap Twin, a racing and tennis RPG. There not that great but it's cool to have something so unique.

Keith Courage

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »
So the wizardry games are 90% english? I had no clue. Maybe I should pick them up.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 04:00:01 PM »
So the wizardry games are 90% english? I had no clue. Maybe I should pick them up.
Mostly yes, at least 1-4, haven't really played much of the 5th one but I finished the others with little issue.