Author Topic: Are the "RPGs" on the TurboGrafx16/CD worth playing?  (Read 2382 times)

vestcoat

Re: Are the "RPGs" on the TurboGrafx16/CD worth playing?
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2012, 04:00:30 PM »
Exile is a lot of fun to blast through in a few days. It has some of my favorite music.

I hate Chrono Trigger.

Black Tiger

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2012, 01:10:16 AM »
Exile is a lot of fun to blast through in a few days. It has some of my favorite music.

I hate Chrono Trigger.

I like Chrono Trigger, I just think that it isn't nearly as good as way too many other 16-bit RPGs.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

storino03

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 06:23:46 AM »
So the seller I bought Gulliver Boy canceled the transaction even though they made a shipping label. Bizarre! The notes said "seller did not want item" LOL. If I didn't want it, I wouldn't have paid for it. Oh well. I guess I'll have to buy it some other time.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 08:36:46 AM »

I like Chrono Trigger, I just think that it isn't nearly as good as way too many other 16-bit RPGs.

I like Chrono Trigger as well, to me it's more of a "what a fun scenario" game, rather than a game that focuses on an engaging central story. If you play J-RPGs for an exciting plot, then it's definitely not going to be your type of game.
--DragonmasterDan

Black Tiger

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 09:47:28 AM »

I like Chrono Trigger as well, to me it's more of a "what a fun scenario" game, rather than a game that focuses on an engaging central story. If you play J-RPGs for an exciting plot, then it's definitely not going to be your type of game.

I also like Chrono Trigger for being what it is. What I don't like most is the complete lack of difficulty which, like FFVII, leads to minimal use of skills and the showcased "system". The final boss is one of my least favorite from RPGs I've played. It's still cool for what it is, but every aspect of it (especially the plot) is held above all other RPGs by trendy game fans.

Keranu

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »
John Madden DUO CD Football: Best RPG for the Turbo.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SamIAm

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2012, 11:45:03 PM »
I'll say one little thing to try to explain what I think sets Chrono Trigger apart, and then I'll shut up.

RPGs in general, along with lots of TV and movies made in Japan, have a bad habit of relying on TONS of expository dialogue to convey their stories. Chrono Trigger, however, kept this to a minimum in spite of having a somewhat complex plot. You could make a hack of CT that removes every single line of dialogue and give it to a first-timer with a barebones FAQ, and they would still understand 80% of the story after beating it. It's very event/context-driven, and whether a game or movie or book, that tends to get people more emotionally involved. It's the old "show, don't tell" rule from Creative Writing 101.

I'll leave it at that.

JapanTokei

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 12:36:13 AM »
back on topic -
worthy RPGs for PCE:  Seiya Monogatari is a massive, scenematic epic one, letting you play the game with choosing what type of life/upbringing you would be.  Sol Moonarage is also very good.   Another one catching my eye is Ruin - though I haven't gotten to try it yet.  It looks very intriguing and a bit obscure. 

I played RPGs all the time growing up as a child, it was prob my fav genre.  Unfortunatelly as an adult, i tend to do so much less, perhaps due to lack of avail time to invest in a virtual world to explore, which is a shame.  I think that's why these days the RPGs I do touch are more linear in nature, like Ys and Beyond Shadowgate types.

esteban

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »
MAROOGA NUTS!

Even with not knowing that much japanese I still love playing the Far east of eden games.  Once you get used to the menu system I find the games very enjoyable.  Don't forget the Legend of Xanadu games.  I would still like others have said check out CF2 and Dragon Slayer.  I love them, and the bad voice acting makes it what it is.  An early released japanese rpg in the states.

Who gives a damn about marooga nuts when you can grab some seeds from a friggin' Roda Tree?

I mean, seriously
  |    | 

arromdee

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2012, 03:34:52 AM »
Cosmic Fantasy 2 has a bad bug: attacks are always plain attacks.  Monsters don't have special attacks.  You can run into a group of cockatrices and never get petrified, because there's no petrification in the game (although there are items that supposedly stop it, but of course have no effect whatsoever.)

motdelbourt

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2012, 01:20:23 PM »
Cosmic Fantasy 2 has a bad bug: attacks are always plain attacks.  Monsters don't have special attacks.  You can run into a group of cockatrices and never get petrified, because there's no petrification in the game (although there are items that supposedly stop it, but of course have no effect whatsoever.)

Was the PCE original also like this, or is this another bug introduced by Working Designs?

Black Tiger

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2012, 02:06:54 PM »

Was the PCE original also like this, or is this another bug introduced by Working Designs?

Yes, the PCE version also lacked status ailments. Working Designs removed further content instead of trying to improve the game like they occasionally did with future games.

Keranu

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2012, 04:55:22 PM »

I hate Chrono Trigger.
I gotta agree (on both accounts). There's a lot I love about Chrono Trigger, but it gets so boring! Funny how the battle system is suppose to be seamless without having to load new backgrounds, but I can't help but feel like the battles are slower than other RPGs.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

storino03

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
I tried Exile a wee bit the other day, and I while it took a while to beat the first boss (couldn't figure out the timing, and when I did, I would occasionally miss), I died afterwards before the cutscene where you move out of the desert area. lol I suck at this game.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2012, 04:21:55 AM »
I tried Exile a wee bit the other day, and I while it took a while to beat the first boss (couldn't figure out the timing, and when I did, I would occasionally miss), I died afterwards before the cutscene where you move out of the desert area. lol I suck at this game.

There's a spot early in the game where enemies constantly repawn, since most controllers have Turbo, and most people have some type of masking, packing or other adhesive tape tape, you can let Sadler auto level up by taping the attack button down on Turbo if you're having trouble.
--DragonmasterDan