Author Topic: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project.  (Read 3715 times)

Burnt Lasagna

Re: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project.
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »
Thank you!
(Email sent)
http://burntprojects.wordpress.com/
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 06:41:04 PM »
Something I just thought of, you mention maybe Leo having a french accent.  In the Ys world, the Romuns are litterally Ys version of the Romans, so maybe an Itallian accent would be better? :-k  And now that I think about it, I believe Ys is basically around France, so any native Esterian's should be speaking with a french accent...guess we'll have to redub Ys 1 & 2! :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:40:43 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

Keranu

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »
Ys Book I & II: Oui! Oui! Edition
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 02:03:00 AM »
Something I just thought of, you mention maybe Leo having a french accent.  In the Ys world, the Romuns are litterally Ys version of the Romans, so maybe an Itallian accent would be better?
Duh, I should of thought of that. Leo is even an Italian name.
I've added it to the VAA page. Though I'm still up for any kind of accent as long as it sounds good and fitting. 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 03:00:56 AM »
Something I just thought of, you mention maybe Leo having a french accent.  In the Ys world, the Romuns are litterally Ys version of the Romans, so maybe an Itallian accent would be better?

It'sa me, Mario Leo!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Bonknuts

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 04:39:23 AM »

I'll try and PM tomaitheous to see if he has the time to shed some light on the situation.    

I'm out of town at the moment, but I'll be back home this weekend. I can trace the pin of the 5205 ADPCM chip to see what clock signal is driving it. I don't remember off hand and Charles MacDonald's doc doesn't give any specifics about it. I also don't have the source code to mednafen with me to look at (I'm sure the emulator has the exact rate other wise audio would slowly get out of sync in HuVideo stuffs).

NightWolve

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 05:25:25 AM »
It'sa me, Mario Leo!

Nooooo! If that happens, I will withdraw my support of the project... Hehe.

I'm out of town at the moment, but I'll be back home this weekend. I can trace the pin of the 5205 ADPCM chip to see what clock signal is driving it. I don't remember off hand and Charles MacDonald's doc doesn't give any specifics about it. I also don't have the source code to mednafen with me to look at (I'm sure the emulator has the exact rate other wise audio would slowly get out of sync in HuVideo stuffs).

Excellent! Thanks! It'd be good to clear this up, and not just for this, for other dubbing projects as well (although it's a very minor difference in value, you do want precision). Shadoff's judgement is excellent, but a 2nd opinion won't hurt and maybe you'll likely just wind up verifying what he used. Oh, I'll see if Charles is hanging around on IRC and raise the issue. I met him a few weeks ago, pretty cool guy.

EDIT: I got a response from Charles and it looks like we will need to change that sample rate! He pointed me to a document that he wrote long ago that's only available through a wayback internet archive so I uploaded it to my site, and linked it below. I highlighted the table row in question:

http://www.ysutopia.net/special/MSM5205.htm#MSM5205_timing

The value would have to be somewhere around 16,043.75 Hz! We are gonna need some changes made to the batch files after all! It appears the info I ran into back in '05 (Khz = 32 / (16 - _DH)) about a divider and only 16 possible sample rates was on to something. Problem is Shadoff's ADPCM tools don't handle decimal points and a possible audio tool that developers used at the time (SOX) doesn't either! Which brings us to that:

http://sox.sourceforge.net

Charles says the ADPCM format of the Oki MSM5205, which is what NEC gaming systems were using, is identical to the Intel/Dialogic VOX format which this 'Sound eXchange' utility ('sox') supports! Meaning, the ADPCM tools that Shadoff made may not have been necessary! I downloaded SOX and am currently reading the documentation on its use. Example:

; Convert WAV file to 32 KHz ADPCM data
sox music.wav -r 32000 music.vox

Thinking about it some more, if developers couldn't use a decimal point when encoding to ADPCM format, then this raw 16,043.75 Hz can't be the value that was used! I would have to assume that at the commandline, they ran, "sox music.wav -r 16000 music.vox" or "sox music.wav -r 16044 music.vox" perhaps ???

Well, we still need your help, Bonknuts!! I'm glad I never forget about this issue, I thought that there still might be a minor problem here.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:50:42 PM by NightWolve »

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 02:43:21 PM »
Oh gosh, the plot thickens :?

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 02:17:59 PM »
Quick note!
I just added a "Length" section to every characters description on the VAA page that says the amount of minuets/seconds of spoken dialogue that character has. This should help you to get an idea on how much time commitment each role will have. Some of you might be surprised on how short most of the roles really are :)

burn_654

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 05:06:16 AM »
I might look into auditioning, going through some life stuff right now (moving) but I'll send you something if I can. I have professional gear I can use.
Quote from: RegalSin
You know for that r-tard who goes like "oh something retro, let me put down my vabagelina, stop drinking my cheeze wine, and get to playing".

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 06:08:43 AM »
I have professional gear I can use.
That's good!
That alone gives you good chances of getting some kind of part!
Though it goes with out saying that acting quality still counts.

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 02:11:44 PM »
(Mirror from my VAA post)
Quote from: Burnt Lasagna
I've decided to leave out the timing requirements for auditions, since this is just to get a feel for the voice and for me to get an idea of your acting abilities.

Now with that being said I would like to make relevant that I'm still in dire need of auditions! More specifically in the female department.
There is literally zero competition for anyone of the female roles.

Most of the roles are not that long either. With the longest being ~7.7 mins (Leeza).
If you think this project sounds interesting please try to audition or inform someone who you think might be interested. I would greatly appreciate it.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 06:07:24 PM »
Well, you can knock down the Bami role if need be, since you techinically have all her lines, but I don't know if I like the way it sounds(& I believe you expressed similar sentiments).  I guess you could consider it a last ditch if no one pegs the Bami role.

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 02:36:23 AM »
but I don't know if I like the way it sounds(& I believe you expressed similar sentiments).
I'm considering Bami as a fully recorded audition for now. My plan B, so to speak.

Arjak

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 07:49:41 AM »
My little sister is wanting to try out for Leeza, so you might get an audition from her at some point.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit