Author Topic: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project.  (Read 3695 times)

NightWolve

Re: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project.
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2012, 04:20:33 AM »
Just FYI, all technical issues were solved this past Sunday and the project was fully converted to work with the SOX (Sound Xchange) utility! The sample rate used at the command line by videogame programmers when encoding the dubbing clips to ADPCM was most likely 16000 Hz (99% sure, slightly possible it was 15989Hz so close enough), and it was definitely NOT 15789 as had been used, so that mistake was caught and taken care of (it caused slightly longer audio lengths (by a second) and presented syncing issues if it had been used). Justus, the prior project leader of the dub that there was, is helping once again having his friend record Dogi's lines (same guy that was used last time). Anyway, to celebrate, I put up two videos for your viewing pleasure.

Darm Opening Battle :  (Made back in 2004 - Preserved on youtube finally for all time!)

Dogi Opening Old Sample : (This is from the same actor that Justus is using again, though it is getting re-recorded - the audio to lip-synching is almost perfect in-game, but Justus is a sound engineer and really focused on getting the timing right, so we're not gonna get such a great result as this with the other actors.)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 05:01:51 AM by NightWolve »

roflmao

« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2012, 04:27:09 AM »
Holy cow, that opening battle scene is badass!  I can't wait to play this game. :)

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2012, 04:57:07 AM »
This is from the same actor that Justus is using again, so I doubt this has to be recorded again, but here it is
Justus told me he plans on fully re-recording Dogi's lines. Because we only have half of his lines recorded from 2004 and he wants re-record everything to ensure complete continuity in his voice. 

EDIT: Also, I just sent you a sample for Garuda via email, voiced by Lawrence Simpson (He played Goku in the parody series Dragon Ball Z Abridged.)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 05:16:44 AM by Burnt Lasagna »
http://burntprojects.wordpress.com/
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2012, 12:36:19 PM »
You guys are kicking ass on this project. Lots of love from this side of the USA!  :)

Arjak

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
Doh! Now I'm even more disappointed that I didn't make the cut! :-({|=
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2012, 02:47:36 PM »
Um, I sent you an Email about whether you would like to be cast for one of the soldiers. Did you not receive it?

NightWolve

« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2012, 11:25:50 PM »
Justus told me he plans on fully re-recording Dogi's lines. Because we only have half of his lines recorded from 2004 and he wants re-record everything to ensure complete continuity in his voice.

Fact-checked and corrected! Well, probably a good thing anyway since the actor is 8 years older now, so his voice should be a little thicker/older sounding making him a more closer match to what I think Dogi *should* sound like. He was excellent back then, but a little older sounding would be an improvement technically. I just wonder if he can repeat the great timing that was accomplished in that video. The youtube video was recorded with MagicEngine and it was pretty good I thought, but when I played the game with the Japanese Ootake emulator, the lip syncing was damn near perfect!

EDIT: Also, I just sent you a sample for Garuda via email, voiced by Lawrence Simpson (He played Goku in the parody series Dragon Ball Z Abridged.)

He sounded very appropriate for a villain. Just the "mwhahah" laugh was excessive as we talked about. ;)

Arjak

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2012, 10:50:29 AM »
Um, I sent you an Email about whether you would like to be cast for one of the soldiers. Did you not receive it?

Apparently not. Still, I'll take any role you are willing to give me!

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2012, 12:49:12 PM »
Alright, I'll make a dub pack for one of the soldiers. Expect to see it in your inbox soon, so watch for it.

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2012, 05:01:54 PM »
Expect to see it in your inbox soon, so watch for it.
I'll right, it's sent.

Arjak

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2012, 05:56:05 PM »
Received! Thank you so much! I'll try to get started tomorrow! :D

dairugger

« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2012, 09:13:27 PM »
god i hope this comes to fruition. makes me long for the days of rigg.. fun times!  :P

Keranu

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2012, 04:44:25 PM »
god i hope this comes to fruition. makes me long for the days of rigg.. fun times!  :P
Word! Fellow RIGGer here -- those were the days!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

NightWolve

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2012, 11:26:12 AM »
This is a Karna dub by an actress that Justus Johnston used back in '04 with the first attempt at this project. It's all defunct since all her lines weren't completed and BL now has a new actress, so this won't be in the new dub patch, but I thought I'd share it anyway. It's too bad her lines weren't finished, I think she did an excellent job.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:38:20 PM by NightWolve »

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2012, 01:20:18 PM »
The new actress for Karna is Mizura (internet name).
I would say she's definitely a great voice for Karna. I would go as far as saying that she's just as good, if not better, then the actress from JJ's 2004 attempt.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:23:00 PM by Burnt Lasagna »