Author Topic: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project.  (Read 3680 times)

Arjak

Re: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English Dub Project.
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »
It's been about two weeks since we last got an update. How are things going with this, BL? Alright, I hope.

If my constant bugging you about this is getting tiresome, I apologize. I'm just really excited that this project is almost done, for the last time. :P
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

NightWolve

« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2012, 04:07:45 PM »
Good news is coming shortly... ;)

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2012, 05:35:23 PM »
It's been about two weeks since we last got an update. How are things going with this, BL? Alright, I hope.

If my constant bugging you about this is getting tiresome, I apologize. I'm just really excited that this project is almost done, for the last time. :P

Though,
http://burntprojects.wordpress.com/
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

Joe Redifer

« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2012, 05:42:19 PM »
How will this update be distributed?  As one massive (and hopefully uncompressed) ISO download?  Or will the user need the original Ys 4 CD and the patch will just replace the CD-DA tracks that have new dubs on them as well as the PCM data and English text on the game ROM?  Please don't compress the audio to MP3s.  Though I imagine everyone who is recording their voices is sending in their samples as MP3s (and a whole bevy of different microphone types).  Hopefully as high of a bitrate as possible.  In this day and age there really is no use for MP3 on the internet for this type of thing, so hopefully they are sending raw 44.1khz (at least) AIF or WAV files back and forth.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:45:27 PM by Joe Redifer »

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2012, 05:58:47 PM »
It's being distributed as a dub patch only, which you will apply to a ISO/WAV/CUE archive of the game that's been already patched with NightWolve's text patch. 

All the recordings were done in WAV and the new CD-DA will be distributed as ape files (which are basically zipped WAV files) then unpacked wile the patching takes place.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 06:03:42 PM by Burnt Lasagna »

NightWolve

« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »
Yeah, just like his Dracula X dub patch: distribution is a zip archive with a batch file, etc. It'd work something like this:

1) Use TurboRip to rip an ISO/WAV/CUE image file set from your Ys IV disc or get an image from someone else.

2) Download the text patch, unzip in same folder as image file set, double click "PATCH.BAT" - (This step not needed if already text-patched!)

3) Download the dub patch, same thing...

4) Burn CUE to a CD-R to play on real NEC hardware, or, mount CUE with a virtual disc emulator to play with a NEC emulator.

*For now, yeah, I decided to keep my text patch separate from the dub patch. So you'll have to run 2 batch files. When I get around to making a new patch with all the minor text edits like 'Romn' to 'Romun' in the future, then we'll have one Windows based patcher that does it all!

*Since most of you already have an Ys IV image that's patched textually, you could just rip that instead of an original and just use the dub patch which I think most will be doing... Will work either way, with or without an extra step.)

*There are crazed Japanophiles that don't want the dub patch, believe it or not! They can burn in... eh, nevermind! Heh-heh!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:09:47 PM by NightWolve »

Joe Redifer

« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2012, 07:42:09 PM »
OK cool, sounds pretty easy.  Looking forward to whatever news is coming up.  

I played a translated English Ys 4 a long time ago but never got very far (probably got distracted by another game).  Not sure what I did with it but it was from a CD-R version of the game made with MP3s.  I have the real thing now and want to do it again with better quality audio.  The updated text version will appear when the dub patch appears?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:45:17 PM by Joe Redifer »

NightWolve

« Reply #142 on: September 07, 2012, 08:36:22 PM »
The updated text version will appear when the dub patch appears?

Nah, that'll appear at some unknown time in the future (read: when I get back in the mood to work on it)! ;) In the meantime, you'll have the new dub and the current text patch. Since it's all about minor text edits, it's not worth the wait... One day, it would be nice to get someone to retranslate the whole script though. I figure I'll ask around here when I'm ready for that since I know we got some translators.

OK cool, sounds pretty easy.  Looking forward to whatever news is coming up.

It'd be cool to make a GUI version of TurboRip some day - I thought about it. Where people run into trouble here is using command line software unfortunately... You need to open a Command Prompt first and CD to the folder where you're gonna rip and patch everything, etc. Windows Explorer should've had that "Command Prompt Here" context menu option by default when you right click on a folder! I did tech support for people who were completely GUI-oriented in how they use Windows, and it took a while to teach 'em how to handle a DOS-type prompt.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 09:16:52 PM by NightWolve »

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2012, 05:05:10 PM »
*Minor Update*
I recently finished the first play test of the dub! Sadly It looks like I'm going to be needing to do another play through of the dub to help put to death some minor issues I found with ADPCM shortly after finishing my initial testing.

In theory it shouldn't take nearly as long as the first play test. After this small issue is ironed out the dub should be ready for release.

Arjak

« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2012, 06:10:02 PM »
Good to hear progress is being made. I hope you're able to fix the problem soon, and release this long-awaited patch. Know that I am always cheering for you. :clap:

Arjak

« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2012, 09:57:42 AM »
I feel like the talking dog from Dexter's Laboratory by this point. FOOD FOR ME!? FOOD FOR ME! =P~

I must be so annoying to keep bugging you about this. Just remember, it's not because I'm upset. It's because I'm so balls-out excited. If I was upset, I would probably be demanding a "tentative release date" just so I could bitch even more when it doesn't get released by then. :P

In a way, I'm actually pleased when a developer doesn't give a "tentative release date", because those just usually lead to disappointment and frustration. I prefer something to be released "when it's done" instead of it being rushed to meet a deadline. Of course, that doesn't make the actual wait any less painful...

So...how's that second play-through going? :wink:

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2012, 12:43:29 PM »
So...how's that second play-through going? :wink:
Coming along very well.

Sadler

« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2012, 05:49:05 AM »
Just saw your letter art and request for help on the retronauts blog. Congrats! :D

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:52:23 AM by Sadler »

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2012, 06:58:15 AM »
Ah, I completely forgot that I sent that! My brother who is a big fan of retronauts really wanted me to inform them about this project and he made the art for the envelop and what not.
Funny that they just now talk about it when auditions are over and I'm getting ready for its release.

In either case this very cool! :)

NightWolve

« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2012, 09:24:31 AM »
Oh wow, I didn't know you guys did that, Mike! Talk about some dedication and "getting the word" out! Figures that it would take some youngbloods to finally complete the project. ;) How come your brother doesn't post around here ??

(That was a cool review of Suikoden II on that link - One of the many games I bought BITD and left untouched, that continue to collect dust).