Author Topic: Does using a System Card 3.0 (instead of 2.0) improve load times in games?  (Read 217 times)

storino03

Just wondering. Talking about regular CD games.

Tatsujin

Yeah! It instantly turns your single speed into a 4x speed CD-ROM :D

unfortunately NOT :(
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

storino03

Yeah, I know that. I just read that it has increased ram. So it's probably just to allow Super CD games to run. :)

BigusSchmuck

Yeah, I know that. I just read that it has increased ram. So it's probably just to allow Super CD games to run. :)

Unless its one of those cdrom 2 games that work either version 2.0 or version 3.0 then yes to a certain extent. If you really want to decrease those loading times I believe a gear replacement will help:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=10224.0

vestcoat

Unless its one of those cdrom 2 games that work either version 2.0 or version 3.0 then yes to a certain extent.
No. Terraforming and Sherlock 2 are just normal CD-ROM2 games marketed as SCD's.

nodtveidt

Just wondering. Talking about regular CD games.
No. At least not with the original CDROM hardware. The Duo has a faster laser sled and quicker spinup time so games sometimes start faster, but unless the sled has to move all over the place (like in games like Cosmic Fantasy 2 when it loads cutscenes), there's not gonna be much difference in load times.

Tatsujin

(\__/)
(。◕‿‿◕。)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^