Author Topic: Thought I would post this eBay auction  (Read 392 times)

FiftyQuid

Thought I would post this eBay auction
« on: May 29, 2012, 02:05:17 PM »
I've overspent this month on TG-16 so I have to lay low for a bit (from my wife).  However I saw this auction today and thought the price was pretty fair so I wanted to share it here.  This is NOT my auction.  I can't even buy it as the seller will not ship outside of the United States.  I was mainly looking at it for the TurboBooster, but then I saw Bomberman '93 included.

Anyway, here it is...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TurboGrafx-16-Console-Turbo-Booster-tested-and-works-Turbo-Grafx-/261019513696?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3cc5f9b360#ht_956wt_1189

I couldn't get it to come up in a regular search using "TurboGrafx" as the search term.  I just happened upon it with a Google search.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

roflmao

Re: Thought I would post this eBay auction
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 03:26:09 PM »
Well it just sold.  :)  Not to me.  I don't need a TurboBooster and already have Bomberman '93, though if it was purchased by a forum member and they want to get rid of Sidearms for cheap, let me know.  I currently only have Sidearms Special.

SMF

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 03:27:03 PM »
Dam that's a steal. Bomberman 93 and a turbo booster.

People sell Bomberman 93 for what he's asking for everything.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

PikachuWarrior

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:30:04 PM »
I have Bomberman 93....except it's only the 'case', not the hucard or manual LOL.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 03:30:36 PM »
Yeah, I wish I would have saved some money for this purchase.  The booster alone I haven't been able to find under $75.  Looks like it sold fifteen minutes after I posted the link.  Congrats to whoever got it.  Looks like it's in real good shape.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:35:04 PM by FiftyQuid »

roflmao

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »
I honestly don't know if I'd consider it a steal.  Personally, I'd much rather put that money towards a Duo-r/rx and get PCE Bomberman '93 or Bomberman '94, but I guess some folks are nutty about having US versions of games. 

For example, within the past year I was able to pick up a region modded PCE Duo (here on the forums) for $165 shipped and Bomberman '94 for maybe $12 (Hit-Japan on ebay).  I think spending the additional $25-30 is way better than being limited to HuCard-only games. 

But to each their own. :D

SMF

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 04:52:23 PM »
Well it just sold.  :)  Not to me.  I don't need a TurboBooster and already have Bomberman '93, though if it was purchased by a forum member and they want to get rid of Sidearms for cheap, let me know.  I currently only have Sidearms Special.

Not to go off course, But what's the difference between sidearms an sidearms special?

SMF

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »
I honestly don't know if I'd consider it a steal.  Personally, I'd much rather put that money towards a Duo-r/rx and get PCE Bomberman '93 or Bomberman '94, but I guess some folks are nutty about having US versions of games. 

For example, within the past year I was able to pick up a region modded PCE Duo (here on the forums) for $165 shipped and Bomberman '94 for maybe $12 (Hit-Japan on ebay).  I think spending the additional $25-30 is way better than being limited to HuCard-only games. 

But to each their own. :D

I love my bomberman 94, Its the type of game you done need great engrish to understand to enjoy lol

city41

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 05:06:30 PM »
Not to go off course, But what's the difference between sidearms an sidearms special?

From Wikipedia:

A TurboGrafx-CD version titled Side Arms Special was released on December 15, 1989 exclusively in Japan. This version featured an arranged version of the original soundtrack composed by Alph Lyla. In addition to the standard game mode from the TurboChip version, the CD version also features a "Before Christ" game mode that changes the game's rules completely. In BC Mode, the player can only change their weapon upon picking a power-up, only Combination Alpha is available, and the Mega Bazooka Launcher can only be used by holding down either fire button to fill the Laser gauge below the screen and launch it

But as I understand it, sidearms special is just missing the Hucard music?

roflmao

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »

Yep, the original game is there but has an arranged soundtrack.  The BC mode is much more forgiving, you change weapons Gradius style. But it can't be played on an Express since it's a disc. :P  So that's why I'd like to pick up the HuCard version again.

EDIT: SMF, yep, I enjoy both Bomberman '93 and Bomberman '94, but I think as far as gameplay goes, '94 slightly edges out '93 in my book.  And it can be found for dirt cheap.  (It costs less to mod your US system and import '94 than to get US '93, which is dumb. '93 is a great game and a superb improvement over the original Bomberman, which is fun in its own right, but the amount of money it goes for right now is just absurd, imo.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:32:29 PM by roflmao »

SMF

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 05:33:52 PM »

From Wikipedia:

A TurboGrafx-CD version titled Side Arms Special was released on December 15, 1989 exclusively in Japan. This version featured an arranged version of the original soundtrack composed by Alph Lyla. In addition to the standard game mode from the TurboChip version, the CD version also features a "Before Christ" game mode that changes the game's rules completely. In BC Mode, the player can only change their weapon upon picking a power-up, only Combination Alpha is available, and the Mega Bazooka Launcher can only be used by holding down either fire button to fill the Laser gauge below the screen and launch it

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess its something I'm gonna have to pick up in the next few months.

roflmao

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 05:41:22 PM »
I picked up Sidearms Special off Hit-Japan within the past year and it was in the $10-$15 range (shipped) so I'd keep an eye out on his auctions. 

Sidearms was one of those games I had bitd and it was so hard I sold it with a vengeance.  But I picked up Sidearms Special on a whim because it was so cheap and it claimed to have an easier version (which it does, but I still haven't been able to beat it).  So now I'd like to be able to play it on the Express again. :D

swiss780

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 05:52:24 PM »
same reason why people buy fords instead of kias.

soop

FiftyQuid

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 05:37:50 AM »
I've never seen one with silkscreening on the hu card like that.  Is that the PC Engine version?