Author Topic: My Tool-Assisted Speedruns (TAS) for Turbografx  (Read 2237 times)

DarkKobold

My Tool-Assisted Speedruns (TAS) for Turbografx
« on: June 02, 2012, 09:55:24 AM »
Hi all!
   I've made quite a few turbografx Tool-Assisted Speedruns; It turned me into quite the TG-16 fan. I joined this forum when I finally got TG-16 stuff, but I figured I'd share some of the runs I've done in the past:

Dungeon Explorer (uses 5 players!):
http://tasvideos.org/1645M.html

Shockman:
http://tasvideos.org/1690M.html

Bloody Wolf:
http://tasvideos.org/1703M.html

Legend of Hero Tonma:
http://tasvideos.org/1683M.html

I also made a Neutopia 2 TAS, but never got it published:

I realize some people aren't a fan of TASes, but some people on this forum might enjoy these. To those who don't know what TASes are, please look at this: http://tasvideos.org/WelcomeToTASVideos.html

Hey, you.

fraggore

Re: My Tool-Assisted Speedruns (TAS) for Turbografx
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 10:48:23 AM »
cool will give them a watch love speed runs.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

DarkKobold

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 07:25:41 PM »
Bump for esteban
Hey, you.

tggodfrey

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 04:28:04 AM »
Nice job.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

hizaygizirlz

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:26:21 AM »
i watched a few levels of DE.  That was pretty interesting.  Those bosses get rocked w/ 5 characters shooting at them.
Gypsies did it.

Got no luv for the krackers only slugs for the krackers!

Drakon

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 03:39:39 PM »
I love tas!  It's a great way to preview a game.  And it's also fun to see how you can abuse games.
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 04:18:53 AM »
Dammit, DK.  Now I want to learn to make these and play through the whole US TG16/CD library, but there's no way in hell I'll have time for the next few years.  Thanks a lot! lol... no, really... I didn't know TAS existed until this thread, and since I have very little time for games, this is a good way for me to experience a lot of games in a little time. So, thanks a lot!

You don't experience a damn thing if you TAS through the game.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 04:35:12 AM »
Why cant you simply enjoy doing a second run, optimizing your skill and clear time, without said cheating and exploits, thus improving game skills, and do videos of that instead?

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 05:03:42 AM »
I don't rely on FAQ's and the internet for anything in general, other then if I need a move list for a fighting game. Otherwise I go it alone.

DarkKobold

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 05:28:36 AM »
Why cant you simply enjoy doing a second run, optimizing your skill and clear time, without said cheating and exploits, thus improving game skills, and do videos of that instead?

Why not both?

TASVideos has a sister community, SpeedDemosArchive, which is about people doing exactly that. Neither community feels that one invalidates the need for the other.  In fact, I've been practicing Dungeon Explorer. Got my lowest time of 27:30 recently.

Anyway, TASes aren't cheating. This topic has been beaten to death in other spots on the internet. Some people get it, others don't.  If you don't like them, that is cool. 'nuff people do.
Hey, you.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 05:34:35 AM »
When you beat a game by using cheatcodes, save states, exploits, etc, its called cheating, so don't sit there trying to spin it or justify it any other way. Its weak. I don't care if you're doing it to shave off time or whatever. The game wasn't meant to be played that way.

DarkKobold

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 05:57:37 AM »
When you beat a game by using cheatcodes, save states, exploits, etc, its called cheating, so don't sit there trying to spin it or justify it any other way. Its weak. I don't care if you're doing it to shave off time or whatever. The game wasn't meant to be played that way.

No cheat codes are used. The idea isn't always to just "shave off time," its meant to entertain. A perfect example is   or

And cheating... Who is being cheated? I'm not claiming these are real-time speedruns; that would be cheating. I'm explicitly stating these are Tool-Assisted. With that statement comes the understanding of the tools that were used. 

Why do games only have to be played "the way they were meant to be played?" Would you get angry if a Lego kit were not put together like the instructions show? Video games are a toy, and TASes are just another way to play with them. Why does it make you so angry?

I get it, you don't like them. No one is forcing you to watch them. 
Hey, you.

Obfuscate

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 06:55:33 AM »
As long as you admit it I have no problem with tool assisted. It bugs me when you see a Youtube playthrough you know the did and they don't specify. I have no interest in tool assisted but I also have no interest in making videos either.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 06:57:48 AM »
It doesn't make me angry idiot, so don't go fishing for non-existent emotions regarding the subject. Using any type of "tools" not originally present in the gameplay, intended by the programmers to be utilized in normal game play, to clear a game, is cheating, regardless of your intentions for the video. Just because you somehow decided to make yourself unemotionally invested in the process of clearing the game, playing it like a robot programmed for one straight task, editing out all mistakes in your game play, doesn't make the cheat any less significant. Just because you label it as something other then a normal game clear doesn't mean its still not a game clear. You still cleared the game, but you cheated to do it. You are clearing the game in a fashion that uses methods of bypassing the challenges that were presented before you. The whole point of the game is lost due to this. And yeah, no one is forcing me to watch them, and I don't. Using games and Legos as a comparison to justify the such as not being cheating is idiotic. Legos are a form of model, not a game.

Why do games only have to be played "the way they were meant to be played?"
I never said they had to be. You can cheat all damn day for all I care with your emulation, save states, etc. But cheating to win, for the goal of shaving off time or whatever, I don't care the reasoning behind it, doesn't make you a better player, it just makes you a weak hack. You want to do a video specifically to show exploits in a stage, fine. But don't go bragging about how you cleared a game in 5-20 mins after using save states and other exploits and whatever else, and act like you faced some godly challenge even worth mentioning. There is NOTHING cool or impressive about that. You should just call the videos what they really are. Cheat/save state assisted speed runs. You call it TAS because it sounds nicer on paper. Its whitewashing your game play.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 07:04:38 AM »
Tool Assisted = cheating.

Especially when the tools involved allow you to pass through portions of a game frame by frame, see things you shouldn't see, rewind when you f*ck up, and dick around with things you weren't intended to dick around with.

That's cheating.

You don't experience the game as intended if you do that.   They exist as a laugh.  "Hey look how megaman just flew through the walls and flung himself around! That's funny!"

Watch the Wizardry TAS.  Tell me that's really experiencing the game.

45 seconds of gameplay, totally experiencing the thrills and chills of the proving grounds of the mad overlord.  Totally.

EDIT:
I had to graph paper my way through that f*cking game, and got pissed when my wizard got decapitated.   That's experiencing wizardry. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:06:44 AM by Arkhan »
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.