Author Topic: My Tool-Assisted Speedruns (TAS) for Turbografx  (Read 2226 times)

DarkKobold

Re: My Tool-Assisted Speedruns (TAS) for Turbografx
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 10:11:51 AM »
Yeah, and red is black, those cats lounging on your porch are really turtles, and the moon is actually a giant block of tasty cheddar f*cking cheese. WTF ever. A small league of supercheaters convene on a thread for a roundtable discussion taking place in the hopes of convincing their selves, and the world by proxy, that they are not really cheaters, and pat their selves on the back for doing such a great job of it and expect the rest of the world to buy it by linking to their discussion whenever these issues arise. Yeah, that totally not makes them cheaters, just like The Legion of Super-Villains would totally not be comprised of super villains after they decided to gather round for a roundtable discussion on how robbing the world bank or blowing up Hoover Dam or plotting to destroy JLA wasn't really evil or nuthin, and needed to be done for the betterment of mankind, declaring themselves to actually be superheros, then broadcasting a message worldwide stating the such, right?  :roll:

This is a reasonable, unemotional response, and demonstrates you clearly opened that link, and didn't make blanket assumptions about its content.

I mean, its not like the first page is someone laying out how TASes should be labelled as cheating for the good of all mankind.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:14:51 AM by DarkKobold »
Hey, you.

Arjak

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 10:13:24 AM »
How DARE someone have fun doing something I don't approve of! Everyone should see things in black and white terms just like ME! If you have fun trying to break the rules of gaming in a way that doesn't hurt anyone, you're WORSE THAN HITLER! I'm going to call you names because I disapprove of something you're doing that has nothing to do with me!

Fixed for ya.  :roll:
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Obfuscate

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 10:23:45 AM »

Prof is a stand-up guy

I don't know, I thought I heard he said that Override was a great game and we can't trust people like that (unless I'm thinking of someone else?).

nodtveidt

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2012, 10:39:07 AM »
Prof's a straight-up guy when it comes to business, but his taste in games is suspect. :)

( ...so says the guy who likes TG16 Turrican... :lol: )

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 10:48:12 AM »
Yeah, and red is black, those cats lounging on your porch are really turtles, and the moon is actually a giant block of tasty cheddar f*cking cheese. WTF ever. A small league of supercheaters convene on a thread for a roundtable discussion taking place in the hopes of convincing their selves, and the world by proxy, that they are not really cheaters, and pat their selves on the back for doing such a great job of it and expect the rest of the world to buy it by linking to their discussion whenever these issues arise. Yeah, that totally not makes them cheaters, just like The Legion of Super-Villains would totally not be comprised of super villains after they decided to gather round for a roundtable discussion on how robbing the world bank or blowing up Hoover Dam or plotting to destroy JLA wasn't really evil or nuthin, and needed to be done for the betterment of mankind, declaring themselves to actually be superheros, then broadcasting a message worldwide stating the such, right?  :roll:

This is a reasonable, unemotional response, and demonstrates you clearly opened that link, and didn't make blanket assumptions about its content.

I mean, its not like the first page is someone laying out how TASes should be labelled as cheating for the good of all mankind.

Actually I did look at it, for like a min or two, and I never stated TAS supporters started the thread. I stated they convened on it, which in itself is hilarious (Do you not know what the definition of convened is?). Am I going to read 10 pages of bullshit and counterpoint, accusations, arguments, whitewash, and spin about cheating on speedruns and why its ok or not ok? No, I'm not.

And Arjak, yeah, that's totally what I meant to say. Thanks for fixing all that for me. I was like totally having trouble putting it all in the right wording. Thank god for people like you, ready to put on that shining armor, gallop in on that white steed, step up, and stuff words in peoples mouths. For serious.  :roll:

DarkKobold

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 10:57:09 AM »
Actually I did look at it, for like a min or two, and I never stated TAS supporters started the thread. I stated they convened on it, which in itself is hilarious (Do you not know what the definition of convened is?). Am I going to read 10 pages of bullshit and counterpoint, accusations, arguments, whitewash, and spin about cheating on speedruns and why its ok or not ok? No, I'm not.

So basically, You never had any intentions of considering that hey, maybe TAS runs aren't cheating. Gotcha.

Hey, you.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 10:58:18 AM »

So basically, You never had any intentions of considering that hey, maybe TAS runs aren't cheating. Gotcha.

Why would I lie to myself like that? I'd rather not live in denial.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 11:19:55 AM »
Thanks for the post, vestcoat.  I wish 2/3 of my posts weren't in those two threads, but, you know.  Gotta respond to responses.  I'll sew some seeds in other threads and see what grows.  I'll always be respectful of others' opinions, but never back down from my own unless they change... which of course is why most people express those things in the first place.

Oh, and JibbaJabba, I like your analogy.  I don't think it is perfectly applicable to the forums or the context of my odyssey here thus far, but I get it and appreciate the effort. 

See dude?  With an attitude like that, you'll be just fine around here.  Just keep your head down and your chin up.  Philosophically speaking, since physically that's impossible. 

Chris

glazball

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 11:45:53 AM »
  Well DK, you said elsewhere no one said a word about your TAS's and now look!  hehe

For years now, I thought that video of Super Mario 3's last level, where the player is jumping from one baddie to the next with insane precision was the work of some incredibly awesome Japanese dude who had been playing the shit out of it for years.  Now I'm crushed to know it was a TAS.  I don't do emulation so TAS's were new to me.  Thanks for sharing.

glazball's game collection and wantlist

nodtveidt

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 11:59:14 AM »
Who cares if a TAS is cheating? The whole point of gaming is to have fun. If it's fun, who gives a smurf sausage?

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2012, 01:38:56 PM »
Who cares if a TAS is cheating? The whole point of gaming is to have fun. If it's fun, who gives a smurf sausage?

Who cares? Care Bears do.

Tatsujin

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2012, 02:08:02 PM »
lol, I assume the term "tool" in there isn't there for nothing.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2012, 02:35:33 PM »
X-Ray:

TASers:

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Arjak

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 03:07:21 PM »
And Arjak, yeah, that's totally what I meant to say. Thanks for fixing all that for me. I was like totally having trouble putting it all in the right wording. Thank god for people like you, ready to put on that shining armor, gallop in on that white steed, step up, and stuff words in peoples mouths. For serious.  :roll:

No problem. If you have any difficulties with this in the future, let me know and I'll use my editorial skills to help out. :twisted:
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Sparky

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 06:38:47 PM »
When you beat a game by using cheatcodes, save states, exploits, etc, its called cheating, so don't sit there trying to spin it or justify it any other way. Its weak. I don't care if you're doing it to shave off time or whatever. The game wasn't meant to be played that way.

No cheat codes are used. The idea isn't always to just "shave off time," its meant to entertain. A perfect example is
  or

And cheating... Who is being cheated? I'm not claiming these are real-time speedruns; that would be cheating. I'm explicitly stating these are Tool-Assisted. With that statement comes the understanding of the tools that were used. 

Why do games only have to be played "the way they were meant to be played?" Would you get angry if a Lego kit were not put together like the instructions show? Video games are a toy, and TASes are just another way to play with them. Why does it make you so angry?

I get it, you don't like them. No one is forcing you to watch them. 

Darkobold this is the over reacting you do that gets you in trouble, prof only disagreed and said a few points and then the shit storm happened.... Accuse him of being angry? Hahaha.. Wow you need to grow some thicker skin around here and take some criticism