Author Topic: My Tool-Assisted Speedruns (TAS) for Turbografx  (Read 2230 times)

HercTNT

Re: My Tool-Assisted Speedruns (TAS) for Turbografx
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »
Don't TASe me bro..............

:mrgreen:

Drakon

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2012, 02:04:08 AM »
I love both skill runs and tas runs.  I can appreciate them both for what they are.  I don't mind if tas is cheating I still find it entertaining to watch.  I think it's fun to see how much you can mess with a game.

*reading more and editing this post the more I catch up on what was said*

Of course a tas is cheating, but it's still fun to watch.  I don't think the idea of a tas video is to "cheat to win".  The idea is to see the fastest inhumanly possible speed to beat a game would be.

I don't get why professor accuses darkobold of not enjoying improving on a real time speedrun.  I don't think he ever said he doesn't enjoy doing speedruns, just because you make tas videos doesn't mean you don't also enjoy doing the real thing.  That's quite a big assumption to make isn't it.  Telling someone to spend their timing making something other than tas videos in his tas video thread is kind of pointless is it not?  It's like....oh I don't know....a little bit of off topic trolling.  Yes it's kind of stupid to say that making a tas video isn't cheating, but it's also stupid bashing tas videos in a tas video thread for the sake of.  Nobody ever stated that making tas videos is a "huge accomplishment" they're just meant for entertainment.

I'm cool with continuing these arguments in fighting street as that's a great place to do so (and I'm glad we have it).  If you want to "get the last laugh" and retort to my comments before continuing in fighting street that's cool.  I just don't want to make this thread any more of a pointless mess than it is.

Here's a topic I started to move all the anger away (hopefully):

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=13382.0

As for this whole argument, I'd rather be an "idiot" than an over-opinionated troll.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:58:22 AM by Drakon »
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2012, 02:38:30 AM »
You can't be a troll if you're a regular.

duhr.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

glazball

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2012, 03:26:53 AM »
  Dammit, now I might be getting addicted to these TAS videos!  Just watched the Punch-Out one last night, and I know it's emuation/cheating/yadda yadda but boy it's nice to see someone beat the SHIT out of Bald Bull in like 52 seconds!  The Excitebike and Gradius vids are awesome too.  It's like watching Billy Mitchell on crack play all those old games.
glazball's game collection and wantlist

Tatsujin

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2012, 03:50:36 AM »
Tas your mom in the wheelchair on the monolith.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2012, 04:23:40 AM »
I love both skill runs and tas runs.  I can appreciate them both for what they are.  I don't mind if tas is cheating I still find it entertaining to watch.  I think it's fun to see how much you can mess with a game.

*reading more and editing this post the more I catch up on what was said*

Of course a tas is cheating, but it's still fun to watch.  I don't think the idea of a tas video is to "cheat to win".  The idea is to see the fastest inhumanly possible speed to beat a game would be.

On the contrary, you are using every cheat possible to your advantage to make the fastest possible run, and beat others TAS releases. The point is to beat the other person and basically prove who is the bigger, badder, bestest cheater evah, though they wont call it that outright, because it doesn't sound as nice on paper.

I don't get why professor accuses darkobold of not enjoying improving on a real time speedrun. 

Cheating is not a improvement.

I don't think he ever said he doesn't enjoy doing speedruns, just because you make tas videos doesn't mean you don't also enjoy doing the real thing.  That's quite a big assumption to make isn't it. 

Maybe he does enjoy constantly reloading save states over and over again after every minuet screw-up, and playing games in slow motion, etc. If so, I'm sorry, point of, and joy of, the game has been lost either way at this point.

Telling someone to spend their timing making something other than tas videos in his tas video thread is kind of pointless is it not?  It's like....oh I don't know....a little bit of off topic trolling. 

Asking why someone cant just improve on a original non-cheat speed run instead, and stating your own opinion on TAS is not in anyway telling anyone else what to do, and is definitely not trolling. Don't read into things. He has had his own opportunity to explain his stance in complete detail, etc also, and try to present a convincing case. He failed to do so, instead insisting others were angry, and insisting cheating isn't really cheating. This is a bit different to like when you trolled tech threads due to your deep seeded hatred for other techs or whatever personal dilemma you had going on, where in one in particular you went on a wild tangent, doing name calling, making false accusations, and lying, saying someone made statements they never made, constantly re-editing your post over and over ad nauseum, simply because you couldn't get your insult worded just right... Please, don't confuse the two, and don't try to pretend you are now some kind of benevolent, wise, worldly, all knowing member of the forum and come here stating how everyone else is in the wrong, because you "know better" and suddenly feel you are above it all.

Yes it's kind of stupid to say that making a tas video isn't cheating, but it's also stupid bashing tas videos in a tas video thread for the sake of.  Nobody ever stated that making tas videos is a "huge accomplishment" they're just meant for entertainment.

On the contrary, people have made it out like its a major accomplishment. These videos used to crop up all the time under the guise that they were normal play throughs. How long have you actually been on the internet? Also, no one is bashing it for the sake of doing so. That is implying people are posting just to boost their post count or something. Expressing an opinion and questioning the reasoning behind using cheats and exploits is not just "bashing for the sake of doing so". Its posting with a purpose.

I'm cool with continuing these arguments in fighting street as that's a great place to do so (and I'm glad we have it).  If you want to "get the last laugh" and retort to my comments before continuing in fighting street that's cool.  I just don't want to make this thread any more of a pointless mess than it is.

No one cares wtf you are cool with. Who in the hell do you think you are exactly? And also, stop confusing debating the moral implications of cheating with a all out conflict. And no one said, or even suggested, this thread was pointless mess, other then you yourself. Kinda ironic, huh? The only people trying to carry out any real argument of some type seem to be the white knights rushing to the aid of some guy who failed to convince others that cheating in games is cool cause its called TAS, not cheating. Even more ironic is they are white knighting a guy who had no qualms about starting shit with multiple members in other threads, simply because they fail miserably when it comes to things like paying attention to forum activity on a regular basis.

Here's a topic I started to move all the anger away (hopefully):

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=13382.0

As for this whole argument, I'd rather be an "idiot" than an over-opinionated troll.

The irony being you yourself are a over-opinionated troll who has been banned from another forum and had to even be dealt with here by some members because your ego got too big.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2012, 04:28:30 AM »
Let's say that you move into a new neighborhood.  And that neighborhood has a little local bar.  So you're thinking, "cool, that'll be a cool place to hang out."  So you go in, and predictably it's a bar full of neighborhood regulars who all know each other.  So you go in there for a couple of days and try to integrate yourself into this little "community" of people who really only know each other because they've all been hanging out in the same bar forever.  Being comfortable with each other, they give each other shit ("how's your wife and my kids"), get in the occasional drunken argument, buy each other beers, etc. 

At this point, you basically have two options.  Just start hanging out at the bar, slowly becoming a familiar face, being friendly to the regulars, etc. until you eventually become just another regular on the same level as everyone else.  Or you could walk in there, have a few beers, and start acting the exact same way everyone else does as though you've been there forever.  People are thinking "who the f*ck is this guy?", but since you haven't really done anything to offend anyone, you're tolerated.  But then you push it too far.  "Hey Bob, nice shirt.  Didn't they have it in your size?  By the way, your wife left her bra at my place last night."  Or let's just say that a few of the regulars get in to an argument over something.  Politics, football, the best brand of shaving cream, whatever.  You interject yourself into the discussion instead of just hanging back.  Again "who the f*ck are you" will be the common thought amongst the regulars, and you'll have a harder time eventually becoming "just one of the guys."  You finally give up, leave, and tell people that "it seemed like a cool place, but not very friendly to new customers."

This isn't just aimed at you, nullity, but basically any new members who instantly have problems with people here.  Newbs basically need to learn to chill the f*ck out, and if someone gives you a little too much shit, you might just have to take it on the chin.  Or at the very least, tell the person to f*ck off and leave it at that.  Complaining that you're being attacked because you're a newb is the absolute WORST thing you can do.

Chris
:clap:
Truly words to live by.  This should be pasted on the front of the forums!

I really have no opinion either way about the decision on whether a person should be posting videos of gameplay tool assisted or otherwise, but I personally see so many game playthroughs on youtube now that are just the games bare bones, I think I'd rather watch the gameplay untouched by tools.  Sometimes they die, sometimes it's all in one life, the video looks just like if I were to pick up and play it.  It's more legit and authentic, ya know?

Not to say it doesn't have it's audience out there, it's still cool to see more vids out there displaying turbografx.  I just hope a guy doesn't watch a TAS turbob vid and think: "Oh man, I can fly through 'Shockman' in 11 minutes just like that guy!"  Cause he'll be sorely disappointed.  LOL

DarkKobold

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2012, 05:59:40 AM »
...try to present a convincing case. He failed to do so...

So basically, You never had any intentions of considering that hey, maybe TAS runs aren't cheating. Gotcha.

Why would I lie to myself like that? I'd rather not live in denial.

Declaring yourself victor! Congrats, you win Prof. Here is your award.

Lets all give him a round of applause.

Now, I'm going to declare all further posts about TASes being cheating as off-topic in this thread. Since I started it, I need to do my best to keep this thread on topic, so only further posts stating that TASes are awesome, and not cheating are considered on-topic. That is the way things work around here, right ?

Hey, you.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2012, 06:08:19 AM »
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

SamIAm

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2012, 07:09:54 AM »
DarkKobold, please keep making Turbo TAS videos. They're interesting, and people will watch them. Just not the Professor, apparently.

Drakon

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 07:09:57 AM »
I'm not the one causing sh#t in here, I was trying to move it away from here, I don't see you putting in any effort.  Although I know that you have never and probably will never admit that you're ever wrong, about anything.  This thread isn't the "do you think tas videos are good?" thread, you're completely off topic and just plain badmouthing his work.  I don't consider myself above anyone, but I do find your posts to be ruining this thread.  I love how when someone posts against what professor believes he labels it as "trolling" but when professor posts against what someone else believes it's "posting with a purpose!"

I don't know what darkkobold did in other threads but just because he did it to other members doesn't make it okay for you to do it to him.

In the words of others in this thread, Professor, STFU, please.  Or even better, find something positive to post about instead of thread crapping.  Your opinion is annoying and could have been worded much more nicely, but you like to prove the internet wrong.  I don't see why you're so obsessed with proving your point anyway, did darkkobold hurt your feeling somehow and you feel it's your duty to be annoying in return?

The irony being you yourself are a over-opinionated troll who has been banned from another forum and had to even be dealt with here by some members because your ego got too big.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 07:33:23 AM by Drakon »
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2012, 10:36:39 AM »
That is the way things work around here, right ?

No, sadly that isn't the way things work around here. Even if you totally disagree with whats being said, if it pertains specifically to the topic itself basically, and the mud hasn't been flinging so bad that people are being sent home crying, then its still on target. To try to kick others out simply because you disagree with what they say, because they wont hero worship you, wont fly. This is a bit of a different situation compared to just jumping into like the ebay gouging thread and going out of your way to pick fights with people, then carrying that feud over specifically to FS in the hopes of continuing it.

If you really don't like what someone says, you can always hit ignore, but to be honest, by your own words, you already seemed to be aware that TAS was a hotly debated topic on other forums, so you should have expected some critical responses towards it when starting this thread here too. That does not mean you should not have started the thread though. It's great debate material, and it keeps the forum fresh. Do you realize just how boring every subject would be if every single person agreed on it and no one had differing opinions? Then everyone would basically say the exact same thing. There would be no interesting content to read.

I'm not the one causing sh#t in here, I was trying to move it away from here, I don't see you putting in any effort.
Actually, I kinda tried to take it to a lighthearted  approach with a care bear. Dont blame me if you're a Johnny-come-lately

Although I know that you have never and probably will never admit that you're ever wrong, about anything.
Oh, I wouldn't say that exactly. I make mistakes like anyone else. But, I happen to be quite right about you.

This thread isn't the "do you think tas videos are good?" thread, you're completely off topic and just plain badmouthing his work.  I don't consider myself above anyone, but I do find your posts to be ruining this thread.  I love how when someone posts against what professor believes he labels it as "trolling" but when professor posts against what someone else believes it's "posting with a purpose!"

You post your work like this, you will be open to criticism, same as you would if you posted art in a gallery, or a short story online. Its a bit different posting a speed run involving cheating in gameplay, and going and thread crapping on tech threads like you did. Not actually being critical of the actual work posted, because it was correct to begin with, and you had no way to help improve upon it, but actually just aiming to prevent or discourage others from learning how to do tech work, because of your inflated ego.

What was it, something about you feeling that if someone cant read a sloppy messy schematic like the one you did, then you feel they shouldn't be doing soldering work to begin with, because they will ruin their expensive hardware, and you want to protect their investment, by taking a blow torch to the back of their Nes and carving out a sloppy mouse hole and filling it with a ton of hot glue? Oh, and lets not forget complaining about pics being used as a example for educational purposes, with no names mentioned, and you making a public spectacle of yourself over it, stating you'd never do something like that, only to find out you did exactly that yourself, and worse, by calling people out by name specifically in same lame attempt to trash their rep.

I don't know what darkkobold did in other threads but just because he did it to other members doesn't make it okay for you to do it to him.

This is a odd point to address. I mean, by stating this, that basically means you yourself should have STFU during the Xray event, and prior ones, and any other future conflict that comes to mind, instead of jumping in as you saw fit. You cant pick and choose like that, otherwise it just makes you a hypocrite. And also, I got nothing against him. I have not tossed disparaging remarks towards his family, called him a slew of names, etc. His feud with someone else is exactly that, his feud with someone else. I'm sure he's a big boy too, I doubt he really needs you lamely attempting to rescue him. If nothing else, you are doing him a disservice considering your own rep as it is, in some ways in a effort to make the situation more about yourself and your own shortcomings then about TAS itself and the criticism surrounding it.

In the words of others in this thread, Professor, STFU, please.  Or even better, find something positive to post about instead of thread crapping.  Your opinion is annoying and could have been worded much more nicely, but you like to prove the internet wrong.  I don't see why you're so obsessed with proving your point anyway, did darkkobold hurt your feeling somehow and you feel it's your duty to be annoying in return?

Yeah, bout that, you care to quote every post concerning me where someone had stated STFU? Just because a opinion is annoying to you (because of you're secret admiration/hate thing you have going for me) doesn't make it thread crapping, if its pertinent to the subject matter. You'll just have to learn to deal with others opinions here Drakon, even if you don't like said person, just like how you'll have to learn to deal with the fact that as a modder, your status here is the lowest on the totem pole here possibly, due to the sloppiness of your work, which is sad, because you have the smarts.

If it makes you feel any better, you can always go back to your own forum and verbally trash others work again, calling them out by name, knowing full well more likely then not said people will never see you talking shit about them behind their back. Or you could suck it up, practice harder, and put out some real quality stuff on a consistent basis instead of ragging on others work in a effort to make you feel better about your own shortcomings. You could also learn to bite your tongue and learn to accept peoples advice in said work a little better. It will help prevent you from being banished from yet another forum.

I continue to stand behind that statement.

DarkKobold, please keep making Turbo TAS videos. They're interesting, and people will watch them. Just not the Professor, apparently.

Myself and others, yeah, but hey, lets keep pretending the forum is made up entirely only of 7 people, and one of them is me, and the other 6 totally disagree with me on every level.  :roll:

DarkKobold

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »
No, sadly that isn't the way things work around here. Even if you totally disagree with whats being said, if it pertains specifically to the topic itself basically, and the mud hasn't been flinging so bad that people are being sent home crying, then its still on target

I realize this, it was a subtle jab at the gouging thread. I simply said to Bigus that it was silly to call a specific auction gouging. That brought the hellfire. Funny how you can disagree and post here that TASes are cheating, but I can't post disagreeing that a specific auction is not, in fact, gouging.

If you really don't like what someone says, you can always hit ignore, but to be honest, by your own words, you already seemed to be aware that TAS was a hotly debated topic on other forums, so you should have expected some critical responses towards it when starting this thread here too. That does not mean you should not have started the thread though. It's great debate material, and it keeps the forum fresh. Do you realize just how boring every subject would be if every single person agreed on it and no one had differing opinions? Then everyone would basically say the exact same thing. There would be no interesting content to read.

I find it amazing that you have all the sudden become eloquent, and use the word "debate."

The part of my post you didn't respond to shows you had no intention of even considering my side. That doesn't make for a productive debate. That makes for a screaming match. If you are actually interested in having an intellectual debate over the merits of TASes, I'm always up for it. Screaming Cheater Cheater Cheater is not in anyway interesting.

So basically, You never had any intentions of considering that hey, maybe TAS runs aren't cheating. Gotcha.

You instead compared me to Lex Luthor, when I clearly have way more hair than he does. Plus, I'd never steal 40 cakes. That is too many cakes.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:23:58 AM by DarkKobold »
Hey, you.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
No, sadly that isn't the way things work around here. Even if you totally disagree with whats being said, if it pertains specifically to the topic itself basically, and the mud hasn't been flinging so bad that people are being sent home crying, then its still on target

I realize this, it was a subtle jab at the gouging thread. I simply said to Bigus that it was silly to call a specific auction gouging. That brought the hellfire. Funny how you can disagree and post here that TASes are cheating, but I can't post disagreeing that a specific auction is not, in fact, gouging.

I find it amazing that you have all the sudden become eloquent, and use the word "debate."

The part of my post you didn't respond to shows you had no intention of even considering my side. That doesn't make for a productive debate. That makes for a screaming match. If you are actually interested in having an intellectual debate over the merits of TASes, I'm always up for it. Screaming Cheater Cheater Cheater is not in anyway interesting.

You instead compared me to Lex Luthor, when I clearly have way more hair than he does. Plus, I'd never steal 40 cakes. That is too many cakes.

If you are simply stating a certain auction is not gouging, that's one thing. Constantly interjecting yourself into a argument is another, and as explained prior, you have not really earned any rep here to be comfortable doing that. As far as the TAS goes, you have in fact made no such valid defense. You linked to someone elses defense, expecting people to read 10 pages worth of it. And just because there is 10 pages worth of people saying they are not cheating, does not make it suddenly not cheating. Save states are a cheat tactic. Playing games in slow mo are also a cheat tactic. Using stage exploits are also a cheat tactic. Using invincibility, also a cheat tactic.

You may not consider a TAS to be on the same level as a legitimate speed run, because you are purposely demonstrating how many rules in the game you can break to get to the finish line faster, and that's fine, because its not. But being able to acknowledged the such does not suddenly make the appliance of the word "cheat" null and void concerning the matter of using said cheats, nor justify calling it something other then what it actually is. You can rename them to "tools" all day long to make it sound better to you, but in reality, they will always be cheats, and any normal person would be able to acknowledged this without issue. I'm not going to whitewash it in order to make you feel better by calling it tools, because in most games you were already provided the tools necessary by means of which to win the game, via earning power-ups, maps, extra lives, etc. Call a spade a spade. Cheating is cheating, regardless of the goal, or the purpose of reaching it.

Oh yeah, also, I never compared you personally to Lex Luther, nor did I mention Lex specifically I believe for that matter. Actually, I compared the people in the thread you linked to to the The Legion of Super-Villains, of which Lex Luther was not a member of if I remember right, though he did collaborate with them. You read into it a bit too much there.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:51:12 AM by ProfessorProfessorson »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2012, 11:51:24 AM »
I fall in the group that has little interest in watching TAS videos and that the "tools" are most definitely cheats, but who cares?  I ain't gonna watch 'em, nor do I care if the creators think they're cool for making 'em.

I'm not sure why I bother responding to such an obvious troll job, but anyways...

When you defined price gouging, you did not state that it applied solely to that one specific auction, thereby declaring that all auctions that start low but end at unreasonable prices can't possibly be gouge jobs.  It's called semantics.  Look it up some time.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles