Author Topic: My Tool-Assisted Speedruns (TAS) for Turbografx  (Read 2239 times)

DarkKobold

Re: My Tool-Assisted Speedruns (TAS) for Turbografx
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2012, 12:19:19 PM »
Save states are a cheat tactic. Playing games in slow mo are also a cheat tactic. Using stage exploits are also a cheat tactic. Using invincibility, also a cheat tactic.

TASes never use cheat codes. The end result is always just a stream of inputs, that theoretically could be put into the console, and play the game perfectly. In some cases, the

Also, you mention stage-exploits. The World-record Speedrun (not TAS) for Ocarina of Time is 25m27s. It warps from the first dungeon to the final battle using a corrupted pointer and corrupted inventory items. Is that also cheating to you?

You may not consider a TAS to be on the same level as a legitimate speed run, ....

We haven't, never have. Speedrunning is about practice, and honing a skill. The two are not comparable, for the most part. TASing is about planning, and making perfection, by finding the fastest possible, not the fastest possible for a human. They aren't on the same level, and comparing the results is not fair, beyond a supposed max limit for a human.

That said, many members of SpeedDemosArchive are members of TASVideos, and vice versa. I'm actually practicing Dungeon Explorer, and have gotten my time down to 27:30. The TAS of Dungeon Explorer in no way replaces the need for a speedrun, and vice-versa. They exist for totally different reasons.

But being able to acknowledged the such does not suddenly make the appliance of the word "cheat" null and void concerning the matter of using said cheats, nor justify calling it something other then what it actually is. You can rename them to "tools" all day long to make it sound better to you, but in reality, they will always be cheats, and any normal person would be able to acknowledged this without issue. I'm not going to whitewash it in order to make you feel better by calling it tools, because in most games you were already provided the tools necessary by means of which to win the game, via earning power-ups, maps, extra lives, etc. Call a spade a spade. Cheating is cheating, regardless of the goal, or the purpose of reaching it.

Your carebear picture, and other posts seem to say the same sentiment, repeatedly. Yes, a TAS is not a comparable playthrough, nor is it meant to represent one or feel like one. Its just a different challenge, a different way to play the game, which is actually quite a bit of fun. I can give an example, from a recent one I was playing with, Final Lap Twin.

Now, the goal of a TAS is to produce the shortest time. Thus, you want to have as few random encountered as possible. Additionally, you want to make the random encounters as productive as possible, which means fighting the enemy with the best returns. Now I had to figure out how random encounters worked (its a step counter, which decreases by 1 every step, and is reset to a random number every time you get an encounter.) I had to figure out how to beat the first enemy and boss with no upgrades (an impossible feat in real-time - you have to basically bump him off the road.) The end result of this test TAS was... meh. Not very interesting to watch, so I won't be continuing it. However, it was a fun time to make. It was fun to see how the internals of the game worked. It was fun seeing if I could beat the first boss with no upgrades, something I originally thought impossible. 

A similar situation happens in Dragon Knight 3, which was my next planned TAS (I don't have much time for TASing these days). When you are in the first section, you can skip encounters by hitting zero on the step counter at the exact step you interact with a skeleton in the first cave. The planning for that isn't easy. It isn't at all comparable to the stuff you do for a speedrun. But it certainly is fun to do. It turns games into brain teasers.

I'm starting to realize, I don't really care if you call it cheating. It doesn't make them any less interesting, and if it helps you sleep at night, call'em whatever you want. TASVideos has enough people who enjoy them, that it is a thriving small community. No one there considers them cheating, and no one there considers them on the same level as speedrunning. No one in either the speedrunning community or the tasvideos community feels the way you do about TASes. Each has its place in the world, and we can all live in harmony, or some other hippy crap.

In short, I've had a blast trying to find the fastest way through a game. If you feel that is cheating, your choice. You are missing out on a cool and different perspective to games. Think outside the box.

Oh yeah, also, I never compared you to Lex Luther, nor did I mention Lex I believe. Actually, I compared the people in the thread you linked to to the The Legion of Super-Villains, of which Lex Luther was not a member of if I remember right, though he did collaborate with them. You read into it a bit too much there.

That was included just for joking purposes. You mentioned JLA, which includes Superman, so I assumed that Lex by default would be an enemy of JLA.
Hey, you.

Jibbajaba

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2012, 01:37:39 PM »
DK, please do us all a favor and shut the f*ck up. You want to post TAS videos?  Do it.  But if every post you make in every other thread is just going to be you arguing with the rest of us, then why bother?

I said it before and I'll say it again.  Why can't we have like 2 f*cking weeks of peace around here without some new f*cking trolls or Internet tough guys showing up here, f*cking our shit up?  Sorry if shit didn't go we'll for you here DK, but the net result of your presence here is that it makes PCEFX a slightly shittier place for those of us here who are on board with the way shit works.  

Chris

Edit: Why do you even give a shit if the prof (and several more of us) thinks that your videos are cheating?  Just like the fact that not everyone has to agree with him, not everyone has to agree with you.  Not anyone HAS to get the last word in all the time.  He thinks TASes are cheating, you don't, end of f*cking story.  Instead of wasting time typing out 2000 word rebuttals to everything prof says, why don't you spend that time making videos for the people that enjoy your work? 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:40:55 PM by Jibbajaba »

DarkKobold

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »
DK, please do us all a favor and shut the f*ck up. You want to post TAS videos?  Do it.  But if every post you make in every other thread is just going to be you arguing with the rest of us, then why bother?

I said it before and I'll say it again.  Why can't we have like 2 f*cking weeks of peace around here without some new f*cking trolls or Internet tough guys showing up here, f*cking our shit up?  Sorry if shit didn't go we'll for you here DK, but the net result of your presence here is that it makes PCEFX a slightly shittier place for those of us here who are on board with the way shit works.  

Chris

Edit: Why do you even give a shit if the prof (and several more of us) thinks that your videos are cheating?  Just like the fact that not everyone has to agree with him, not everyone has to agree with you.  Not anyone HAS to get the last word in all the time.  He thinks TASes are cheating, you don't, end of f*cking story.  Instead of wasting time typing out 2000 word rebuttals to everything prof says, why don't you spend that time making videos for the people that enjoy your work?  

Do you realize just how boring every subject would be if every single person agreed on it and no one had differing opinions? Then everyone would basically say the exact same thing. There would be no interesting content to read.

I don't go into threads with uninteresting topics (to me) and tell everyone to stop wasting their time, but I'd expect to get told off if I did.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:23:22 PM by DarkKobold »
Hey, you.

Bernie

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2012, 01:57:04 PM »
I cant believe that Super Mario 3 fast play through was a TAS, or whatever it is...  :(  Damn I loved watching that, and now I know it was all fake.  :(  My opinion on it, I dont really care one way or another.  It may interest some, others it wont.  If its a game I have already played through, I guess it would be neat watching somone do it, but other than that it would be a spoiler for me. 

nodtveidt

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2012, 06:17:03 PM »
Maybe he does enjoy constantly reloading save states over and over again after every minuet screw-up, and playing games in slow motion, etc. If so, I'm sorry, point of, and joy of, the game has been lost either way at this point.
Doesn't really matter... one's enjoyment is another's torment. If you don't wanna make or watch a TAS, so be it... if someone else does want to, so be it. Both opinions are equally valid unto one's self but also equally irrelevant to the other. The topic of "cheating" comes up from time to time in the DOOM modding community, and the general consensus every time is "who the f*ck cares".

420GOAT

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2012, 06:24:52 PM »
its not for me but the saving feature is the best to some of my homies.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

Drakon

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2012, 12:25:07 AM »
*bunch of low blows and childish comments*

You need to grow the f#ck up.  All you ever do is go around trying to hurt me feelings because you're mr. perfect.  You're just a non-stop cannon.  Instead of focusing on every little mistake you can dig up on other people when was the last time you tried to improve yourself in any way?  You derailed this thread with your cult following opinion, even if only a little, you did it, just please grow up and admit you made a mistake for once in your life.

I fall in the group that has little interest in watching TAS videos and that the "tools" are most definitely cheats, but who cares?  I ain't gonna watch 'em, nor do I care if the creators think they're cool for making 'em.
 but end at unreasonable prices can't possibly be gouge jobs.  It's called semantics.  Look it up some time.

Now if professor had made his point this way, I don't think people would have minded.  Thankyou necro for being respectful.  Anyone who takes professor's comments harshly professor will continue labelling as a "pussy" without any consideration.

Chris

Edit: Why do you even give a shit if the prof (and several more of us) thinks that your videos are cheating?  Just like the fact that not everyone has to agree with him, not everyone has to agree with you.  Not anyone HAS to get the last word in all the time.  He thinks TASes are cheating, you don't, end of f*cking story.  Instead of wasting time typing out 2000 word rebuttals to everything prof says, why don't you spend that time making videos for the people that enjoy your work?  

I really like darkkobold and his posts and his opinions.  I agree he should have kept his opinions in a separate thread but if anything I think he makes this forum a better place.  Darkkobold may have opinions and ways of appreciating the pc engine that the old forum members don't approve of but I'm sure we can find a way to get along peacefully which is all I've ever wanted.

Also please correct me if I'm wrong on this but sometimes I feel professor does the same 200 word retorts, and nobody is giving him a hard time about it.

Anyway....I'm looking forward to the next tas video.  I'm hoping when it gets posted people don't say "why don't you spend your time doing something else?"
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 12:43:51 AM by Drakon »
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2012, 04:54:56 AM »
You need to grow the f#ck up.

Are you saying this to me, or do you really mean this for yourself? You act like a paranoid teenage drama queen, throwing a huge hissy fit when you feel you've been attacked, when you in fact were not. You then lie about someone flat out, multiple times. You gossip about and insult others on your own forum (a virtual podium of self-worship). You gossip and bitch about people to their friends in the hopes of turning them against each other. All of it, high school drama shit. You want to start shit and attack people and talk shit behind their backs, prepare for the possibility you'll get curb-stomped, either here or IRL. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. It'll be dropped when you drop it, and stop injecting yourself into more drama.

At first via PM it was all like:
Just want to say your posts are so full of truthful wins!  I'm glad there's a guy like you running around warning members about people like xray.

But suddenly....

All you ever do is go around trying to hurt me feelings because you're mr. perfect.  You're just a non-stop cannon.  Instead of focusing on every little mistake you can dig up on other people when was the last time you tried to improve yourself in any way?  You derailed this thread with your cult following opinion, even if only a little, you did it, just please grow up and admit you made a mistake for once in your life.

and

Also please correct me if I'm wrong on this but sometimes I feel professor does the same 200 word retorts, and nobody is giving him a hard time about it.

If you feel persecuted, maybe you should take a step back and realize you get what you ask for Nancy. You started your own mess. You cant deal with it, then hit the road. Don't pick unwarranted fights, find out you don't have what it takes to finish them, continually inject yourself into more conflicts anyway,  then turn around, and cry about it like you are a victim when suddenly you realize you have no chance to survive the bullshit you brought upon yourself. Also, don't go crying about it to other peoples friends behind the scenes in the hopes that you can drag others into your conflict. No one here is going to be your little public life preserver bailing you out of every fight you start but suddenly find out you cant win. No one here is your little personal army either. Such a little drama queen, I swear.... :roll:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 04:59:58 AM by ProfessorProfessorson »

nodtveidt

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2012, 05:15:24 AM »
Such a little drama queen, I swear.... :roll:
Ain't this the pot calling the kettle black... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2012, 05:24:28 AM »
Such a little drama queen, I swear.... :roll:

Ain't this the pot calling the kettle black... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Being a king of the drama is a tad different my fine friend. The king never cries, retreats, and tries to drag others friends into the shit to do his bidding. :wink: Thats why the queen needs to stay in the kitchen, keep makin sammiches.

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot, OVERRIDE IS f*ckING AWESOME!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:40:28 AM by ProfessorProfessorson »

nodtveidt

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2012, 06:46:08 AM »
The queen has bitches to do that for her. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2012, 06:50:10 AM »
The queen has bitches to do that for her. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whats that mean for Drakon then when he haz no bitches to speak of?  :cry:

nodtveidt

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2012, 06:59:41 AM »
I dunno... get him some bitches? :lol:

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2012, 07:01:07 AM »
TAS WONDER MOMO then I'll be impressed
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2012, 08:08:51 AM »
I dunno... get him some bitches? :lol:

Too expensive, even in Canada.