Author Topic: Genesis Plus GX Sega CD Support Coming Very Soon.  (Read 1181 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: Genesis Plus GX Sega CD Support Coming Very Soon.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »
I'm willing to bet that the emulation detractors in this thread have never actually experienced good emulation. When I play stuff like Ninja Spirit on the Wii the experience is, if anything, better than on a real PCE because the video signal is rock solid and comes out in component with a lot less noise on the audio side as well.

So the Wii controller sucks for Genesis? Who gives a f*ck? The Genesis controller sucks for a lot of Genesis games too. You just buy a different controller. f*ck, man.

And nobody is suggesting that if you want to play Sonic you go to Target and buy all this stuff. If you have a Wii, which many many millions of people do, this is something you might like to try. That's all he's saying.

When the Wii U comes out I'll be hacking the hell out of my Wii. Until then it's staying stock.

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 10:17:19 AM »
Sorry my mistake, for some reason I thought it would be integrated into WiiWare. Still, console emulation isn't exactly a new thing. Like I said, emulation is great for casual retro fans or for trying out a game before you purchase it, but I think you'll find a lot of purists on this board. Nowadays I won't even bother with anything not on the actual hardware aside from some impossible to find arcade-only releases. There's just something lifeless about emulation to me. And it really doesn't make any sense when it comes to the Genesis, which is probably the cheapest of the older consoles to collect for asides from a handful of rare releases.

And SoZ, I have played emulated games on the Wii and Xbox and yes, they do look as good as they can on a flat screen, but I'm also of the opinion that anything pre-Dreamcast looks better on a CRT. It's hard to explain but I just like playing the actual games on the actual hardware. Emulation is fine for playing and all, but for me it's more than just what goes on on the screen. I think I'm just weird when it comes to games.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 10:22:45 AM by Samurai Ghost »

Burnt Lasagna

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 11:35:24 AM »
And it really doesn't make any sense when it comes to the Genesis, which is probably the cheapest of the older consoles to collect for asides from a handful of rare releases.
Keep in mind this thread is geared towards Sega CD emulation, which has it's handful of stupidly over priced collectables. Such as Snatcher and pretty much all Working Designs games.

http://burntprojects.wordpress.com/
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 12:09:29 PM »
Who said anything about LCD TVs? The Wii can output fully analog 240p component video which is basically the best thing possible for 16 bit era gaming on CRTs. The Wii doesn't even do HD!

Seriously, it's not 1996 anymore. Emulation has its advantages. I too play virtually everything on real hardware, but I would rather play something in an emulator than, say, a shitty port, or just not play it at all. I mean, I'm *never* going to own a Cannon Dancer PCB, for example, or a US Snatcher.

Tatsujin

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 01:11:16 PM »
I got my RAM cart for 1 buck. and I didn't even use it yet..lol.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

SignOfZeta

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 01:23:47 PM »

That's another thing: the emulation versus real hardware thing is irrelevent unless you actually play games.

Tatsujin

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »

That's another thing: the emulation versus real hardware thing is irrelevent unless you actually play games.

That's true too, I play my Wonder Mega quite often, but rarely play games on it that really need a save function :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Samurai Ghost

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 03:46:13 PM »

That's true too, I play my Wonder Mega quite often, but rarely play games on it that really need a save function :)

Yeah same here. I mostly play shooters and the like for the Mega CD so I don't really save anything but when I do the internal backup works fine.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 04:17:37 PM »
All the talk about dead batteries and all, did people forget that they can be replaced?

spenoza

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »
Not at all, but it's just another thing to have to fiddle with, especially if the battery is not intended to be user-accessible, like the battery in the Dreamcast, or in game cartridges, or, likely, in the Sega CD RAM cart.

Hell, I've been busy so I haven't had much time to play the Saturn lately, and about every time I sit down with it the battery I put in just a year ago is dead again and has to be replaced.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Tatsujin

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 06:27:52 PM »
Dead battery society
www.pcedaisakusen.net

SignOfZeta

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 09:07:34 PM »
Not at all, but it's just another thing to have to fiddle with, especially if the battery is not intended to be user-accessible, like the battery in the Dreamcast, or in game cartridges, or, likely, in the Sega CD RAM cart.

Hell, I've been busy so I haven't had much time to play the Saturn lately, and about every time I sit down with it the battery I put in just a year ago is dead again and has to be replaced.

That's probably because you are using garbage batteries. You'll get 3-5 years out of a good one, easy. Those ones they sell in huge blister packs in eBay @ $0.05 each? Like maybe 9 months. In a DC VMU they last about two weeks.

soop

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 12:31:36 AM »
I say anything that helps retain the retro gaming is a damn good thing, and Gens sounds great.  The reason I personally prefer real hardware is twofold;

I find when I pay $0 for 100's of games, I've got no incentive to stick with them during the frustrating parts (my attention span is bad enough), but if I've just dropped some actual bucks, I'm gonna try and tough it out.  Emulators are just too tempting to try out the next game all the time.  However, for things like the PSP, it is nice to have your favorites there.

And secondly I love owning and collecting the stuff, poring through the manuals, marvelling at the HuCards (I'm back to PCE here), and the ritual of inserting the card, clicking the switch, then flop back and start playing.

Oh and third, I own a Nomad and a GT, so I can play original wherever.

Dead battery society

spenoza

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2012, 04:09:28 AM »
That's probably because you are using garbage batteries. You'll get 3-5 years out of a good one, easy. Those ones they sell in huge blister packs in eBay @ $0.05 each? Like maybe 9 months. In a DC VMU they last about two weeks.

Yeah, the Maxell cell batteries I buy that are made in Japan in 5 packs are crap batteries... Heaven forbid I should pick a brand name battery, because it's probably crap.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 04:25:13 AM »

Yeah, the Maxell cell batteries I buy that are made in Japan in 5 packs are crap batteries... Heaven forbid I should pick a brand name battery, because it's probably crap.
I replaced my Saturn and Sega CD batteries with name brand batteries back in 2003.   They still work.    The money you spend replacing shit batteries that keep dying could have just went towards 1 useful battery. 

Changing batteries in any console/cartridge is retard-easy.   You just need the appropriate tool to open the console or cart.   Past that, it's a GIANT METAL CIRCLE.  JUST SWAP IT OUT.

If you can't handle that, you probably can't handle putting an emulator on the Wii, so you're f*cked either way.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.