Author Topic: Nintendo Captain Skyhawk  (Read 340 times)

CPTRAVE

Nintendo Captain Skyhawk
« on: June 15, 2012, 09:16:31 AM »
Was thier a problem with the game Captain SkyHawk, I had two of those games and both stopped working.

Mishran

Re: Nintendo Captain Skyhawk
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 09:35:07 AM »
I've had this game from brand new, and it still works like a champ. Pretty cool shooter, btw. Except the docking station... pain in the ass. :lol:

jperryss

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 09:39:05 AM »
I have it also and it still works. I know this is obvious but give them both a good cleaning and try again.

vestcoat

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 11:15:19 AM »
I have Skyhawk and it works. Some old NES carts are just really hard to clean. I bought the Contra games a couple years ago and couldn't get them to work even after repeated cleaning with a standard Doc's Cleaning Kit. The seller confirmed that both played fine in his swanky top-loader, but my front-loader with a new 72-pin connector just wasn't cutting it. I eventually got them to work by opening up both cartridges and using cotton swabs and alcohol to polish each individual pin while leaning on them with a significant amount of pressure.  

csgx1

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 08:10:17 PM »
A few weeks ago I bought a Captain Skyhawk cart for a $1 that was pretty dirty and beat up, but still loads fine after I cleaned the contacts.   I've never come across any NES cart that didn't load after a good cleaning. 

CPTRAVE

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 08:34:37 PM »
Really, wow thanks for the suggestions I will definitely open it up and try to clean it. Then hopefully it will work.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 09:16:51 PM »
Take apart the cart, lightly sandpaper the pins, then clean well with alcohol and a cloth.

Colossus1574

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 12:59:16 AM »
Yep, great game! Just curious, when u say stopped working, were u getting the stupid flashing grey screens? or it'd load and freeze kinda thing?
Graphics were neat cause the stages had that hexagonal look, and for some reason the look reminded me of Cobra Triangle for some reason...

jperryss

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 03:18:04 AM »
You might try cleaning the pins with a pencil eraser, I hear that works really well.

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 04:13:52 AM »
You might try cleaning the pins with a pencil eraser, I hear that works really well.
Yep, it does.  Take it apart tho.  I had to recently take a few apart and clean them really well with one of those pink wedge erasers.  I then used a q-tip and alcohol to clean the residue off the contacts.  Now the games that didnt want to work, work perfectly.  :)  I say take it apart, since it is so hard to actually get to the contracts with an eraser.  And believe me, I had to go over em pretty good. 

SegaCD

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 09:16:57 AM »
A few weeks ago I bought a Captain Skyhawk cart for a $1 that was pretty dirty and beat up, but still loads fine after I cleaned the contacts.   I've never come across any NES cart that didn't load after a good cleaning. 

I have a 52-in-1 multicart that worked on and off a few years back. I cleaned with some of my cleaning stuff and a cotton swab. When I inserted it into my NES, none of the games on the "third" menu screen would load (in other words, a 1/3 of the games) and it has never worked since, even after more cleanings. So I guess this is an example of an NES cart that wouldn't load AFTER a good cleaning. LOL

But on a more related note, CPTRAVE, my copy Captain Skyhawk has worked well since day one. You must either have rotten luck or poor contacts on your NES!

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 10:30:13 AM »
I have Skyhawk and it works. Some old NES carts are just really hard to clean. I bought the Contra games a couple years ago and couldn't get them to work even after repeated cleaning with a standard Doc's Cleaning Kit. The seller confirmed that both played fine in his swanky top-loader, but my front-loader with a new 72-pin connector just wasn't cutting it. I eventually got them to work by opening up both cartridges and using cotton swabs and alcohol to polish each individual pin while leaning on them with a significant amount of pressure. 

This goes along with a general experience I've had, even toaster style NES's with changed 72-pin connectors just do not read cartridges as well as the top loaders do. Also, some of the replacement 72-pin connectors grip the carts like a vice grip and make it hard to get cartridges out.

As a general rule, outside of NES games with batteries that exploded over time. I've not run into any licensed NES carts that haven't worked after a bit of cleaning on a top loader. Unlicensed cartridges are another matter entirely. I have a copy of John Elways Football as an example, I have two toasters with replaced 72-pin connectors. After repeated cleaning neither will boot the game. However, both of my top loaders boot it without a problem and even my handheld NES clone the Retro Mini-X boots it fine. Using original toaster NES's can be a problematic experience as they just weren't designed that well as far as reading cartridges go.
--DragonmasterDan

RegalSin

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 11:11:37 AM »
Rareware was pretty cool, when they were alive.

CPTRAVE

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »
Hey Colossus1574, when I put the game in it was just a grey screen nothing else, and this happened to Skyhawks games I could not believe it. This was a real fun game can't wait to play it again.