Author Topic: So I ask the people under Twenty Five, about arcades.  (Read 772 times)

420GOAT

Re: So I ask the people under Twenty Five, about arcades.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 12:11:04 PM »
we still have some 'round here. redondo beach pier, gameworks in long beach, santa monica pier, i take the kids to chuck e chees's and there some cool games there at times, when i was a kid we had alladins castle out at the del amo fashion center, and time out in carson mall. my mother and grandma would shop and id be in there for hours...those were the days.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

thesteve

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 05:31:07 PM »
we had a place called (TILT)
had a ton of cabs.
played a ton of TMNT there.
and the last thing i played there was a SEGA hologram game.......it sucked.
pizza place 2 blocks from me here has 4 or 5 cabs running now, but at 50c a cred they dont get much play.
last time i was there they had a NEO cab running 1941

HercTNT

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »
I live about half an hour from funspot in New hampshire. they have a huge arcade and many guiness records come from there.

Tatsujin

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 05:49:13 PM »
My arcades name were:

Lunapark
Skill I
Skill II
Joker
Piazza

Luna was always the biggest and most used of 'em.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Gogan

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 02:12:06 AM »
Had a two story TILT in the mall by me in the 90s. That place was awesome!
Nothin beats the real thing.

futureman2000

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 02:48:03 AM »
Yeah, Tilt was pretty good while it lasted. I recall it was made family-friendly shortly before their demise, at least at our location. I think the coolest arcade I ever visited was in Toronto around 1990, but I have no idea what the name was. I recall tons of Japanese cabs that I had never seen before, dim lighting, smoking, shady fellows, etc.
Take off yer flip flops and set up the tripod: it's bag kickin' time!

TR0N

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 08:43:57 PM »
The arcade i went to as a kid when they were owned by sega great,but afther namco bought them out it went down hill  :(

Time-Out was a chain mostly on the east coast.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:45:58 PM by TR0N »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Tatsujin

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »
Nightmares - The Bishop of Battle

Damn, why didn't I see or even heard of that movie ever before :shock:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:39:56 PM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Tatsujin

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 06:24:28 AM »
lol just watched the bishop of battle. was a funny 80s arcade homage :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Colossus1574

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »
The Vancouver scene is barely holding on. The only arcade in the area still doing well is only because it's in the mall and 1 floor beneath the movie theatres. It's called CHQ @ Metropolis, i give the owner props cause it's still pretty steady business and he keeps his games pretty up to date. He also understands he cant charge ridiculous prices to keep the crowds coming in. Downtown, the Movieland Arcade is still there...but they only have old ass games there, dirty, they used to have peep show stalls in the back long ago. There are still a few arcades in Richmond which is a city about 10 minutes drive from Vancouver, mainly an asian community so hence....arcades still attract. E-Spot is probably the most popular, huge with pool tables. Last i heard, they hold SF4 and MvC3 tourneys there once in awhile.

The favourite arcades through my lifelong journey of video games in the Vancouver, Canada area are:

Satch's (classic stinky, smoky, dark arcade on E.Hastings back in 1988)
Pie in the Sky
Johnny Z's
Lazer Illusions
Circuit Circus (both locations)
Lester's (which only closed down year and half ago)
and CHQ (only one still standing  :cry:)

khog143

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 04:55:16 PM »
We had a Tilt here is Dallas too.  that place was pretty great to go to when your parents would be around the mall shopping, and you just sat there and played in the arcade.  Good times.

tggodfrey

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 04:34:11 AM »
The haunted trails in Justice area IL had a decent arcade if I remember.  No doors, it had a pull up garage door that would open and you just walked in and hung out.  Rows of game after game, industrial short cut red carpet that was stained as shit from knocking your pop off the game table.  Coin machines chinging, pinball machines pinging, electronic blips......it was an awesome time.

If you were lucky to be there when the game truck showed up, you just might get to be the first to try out a new game being delivered!

There were plenty of the upscale indoor sort of arcades, PGN I am pretty sure is still in hickory hills and enchanted castle had an arcade.

For us most of the time if we couldnt get a ride it was off to the local bowling alley where they had a dozen machines.  wasnt much but it was a great time bowling and playing.  my favorite there was when I was real young (35 now) was Rastan

« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 04:42:00 AM by tggodfrey »
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 04:50:54 AM »
We had a Tilt here is Dallas too.  that place was pretty great to go to when your parents would be around the mall shopping, and you just sat there and played in the arcade.  Good times.

Last I knew there was still a Tilt arcade operating in Mid Rivers Mall in Saint Peters MO. Around Christmas time it was still there.

There were plenty of the upscale indoor sort of arcades, PGN I am pretty sure is still in hickory hills and enchanted castle had an arcade.

Enchanted Castle had an awesome arcade back in the day. Around 7-8 years ago they had a nickle arcade with both arcade games and redemption games. That area got turned into a roller coaster and go-kart section. I was there a few months ago, there was a Terminator Light Gun game and may be one other actual video game still remaining. Despite that the place is as busy as ever.
--DragonmasterDan

tggodfrey

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 05:02:31 AM »

Enchanted Castle had an awesome arcade back in the day. Around 7-8 years ago they had a nickle arcade with both arcade games and redemption games. That area got turned into a roller coaster and go-kart section. I was there a few months ago, there was a Terminator Light Gun game and may be one other actual video game still remaining. Despite that the place is as busy as ever.

Thats too bad.  I was only there once or twice years ago.
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

soop

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 05:04:32 AM »
I remember when my mum used to take me swimming they had a couple of arcade machines.  There was an Ikari Warriors style game at one point, and later there was the Sega Spideman game, which was awesome.  I didn't always get to play them, so sometimes I would go watch the attract screens, hoping someone else would play so I could watch.

Swimming was cool, but the snacks after and the games were awesome.