Author Topic: Ys III for SNES... comparable to Turbo version?  (Read 1329 times)

tpivette

Ys III for SNES... comparable to Turbo version?
« on: July 04, 2012, 09:27:28 AM »
First off I wanna say what I'm about to ask (on a PCE forum) may be borderline blasphemous,... so I'm asking, please dont be to harsh in your responses!!

Anyway, I have Ys Book 1&2 on CD for the Turbo, and recently bought Ys 4 for the PCE. Now I'm looking to complete the set with Ys 3. Of course, I'd prefer to get it for the Turbo CD, however, its kinda costly (ebay prices seem to be around the $50 and I havent had much luck finding it elsewhere for cheaper). I have noticed the SNES version is much much cheaper, even on ebay. So... strictly for playing the game (and maybe eventually picking up the Turbo version when it presents itself), would playing the SNES version in the meantime be totally out of the question (from a Turbo fans point of view)?

Constructive comments, especially differences and pros/cons of each version, are welcome
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Chuplayer

Re: Ys III for SNES... comparable to Turbo version?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 09:54:50 AM »
Admittedly, I only played it briefly on my SNES PowerPak for comparison's sake and for the fact that it has issues saving on the flashcart, but I found the SNES version to be ridiculously underwhelming and obnoxiously difficult compared to the Turbo CD version.

$50ish might be a bit much for a 6 hour experience on the Turbo CD, but I thought it was worth it when I bought it last year. It has flaws, but the gameplay's great, the music's awesome, and the voice acting is amazing for its time.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 10:04:07 AM »
If you wait you can find it for around $35.
And don't bother with the SNES version, you will be very dissapointed with the flat music. The PCE version isn't hard to navigate through. You only have one small town to go to and 2 small shops with only a couple items so it's no biggy.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

NightWolve

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »
There's one day left on this one, $20.50 so far:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YS-III-Wanderers-from-YS-rare-Turbo-Grafx-16-NEC-CD-disc-/ - (It's from the Gouging thread)

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:32:50 PM »
The SNES version has smooth parallax and beefier enemies. No version has much to offer for dialogue or story, so you're better off with the PCE version which you can BIN for <$13 shipped on eBay. Everyone should own the Turbo/PCE version for the soundtrack alone, let alone the opening and intro cinemas. Just skip a fast food meal and buy the PCE version.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

tpivette

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 01:05:09 PM »
I'm watching the above auction... problem is, I think a few guys from the forum are as well. I have a feeling there's gonna be some crazy sniping in the last few seconds of that auction

I would get the PCE version, but if there was an english release of the same game (as in this case), id rather have the version who's dialogue I can understand
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 01:57:07 PM »
I'm watching the above auction... problem is, I think a few guys from the forum are as well. I have a feeling there's gonna be some crazy sniping in the last few seconds of that auction

I would get the PCE version, but if there was an english release of the same game (as in this case), id rather have the version who's dialogue I can understand

You only need to play through it in English once. It's worth buying the SNES version too simply because it's so cheap and you can just flip it for what you paid after anyway. The translations between the English versions aren't consistent either, so you're always only getting a pretty good idea of what was originally intended. The narrated opening of the Turbo version will only confuse you in English, since it makes no sense. :P

meka

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 02:26:43 PM »
The SNES version is a lot more difficult, and the sound is a lot better on the PCE

kazekirifx

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 03:13:14 PM »
Turbo CD version is a must-own just for the music, but the SNES version is graphically superior. I would take the Genesis version over the SNES since it is also graphically superior to the Turbo CD, and is also more faithful to the original Falcom game.

Turbo CD still wins though. Even with the bumpy parallax, the music trumps all. One of the greatest game soundtracks ever for sure.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 03:27:44 PM »
Its seems like most people(outside the PCE community) prefer the Genesis version.  I think it has a more balanced difficulty compared to the SNES version, & IIRC, besides gfx, people talk about the music being better then the SNES version as well, though, I'm no FM fan personally.  I don't have the Genesis version, so I can only speak from other's experience.

Black Tiger

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 03:59:08 PM »
No version has better graphics across the board compared to the others. There are many unique strengths to each version's visuals. The Turbo version has the best color/shading in many places and extra details at times. The Famicom version controls the best to me (using a dogbone pad) and the music is as good as any version most of the time.

roflmao

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 04:35:24 PM »
The short answer is to get every version.  The more Ys the merrier.  Ys III on the SNES is still a great game, even if the music and gameplay are better on the TG-CD version.  If you can find it cheap, I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.  When you eventually find a good deal for the TG version, you'll get to play it all over again with better gameplay, an enhanced soundtrack, and different cut scenes.  The background will scroll more chunky, which is unfortunate, but the game still looks great overall.

vestcoat

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 05:16:36 PM »
I prefer the SNES version. I haven't played it since I got TGCD version, so my memory may be deceptive, but I prefer the graphics and difficulty and the music is good enough, IMO.

15 save slots!

Tatsujin

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 05:54:24 PM »
Obye rule #253

Never buy an alternate version when there is a PCE version.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

CPTRAVE

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 06:19:01 PM »
That is a good rule  :P