Author Topic: Ys III for SNES... comparable to Turbo version?  (Read 1333 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Re: Ys III for SNES... comparable to Turbo version?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »
Ah, somehow I forgot!  You could also buy the PSP/PC version of Ys 3 titled Oath in Felghana.  This is my favorite version, truly, a complete remix of Ys 3, it's fantastic IMO.

storino03

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 07:06:21 PM »
Just bidded it up! hope i win!

Joe Redifer

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 08:33:47 PM »
I wrote this article over at Sega-16 which compares all 3 versions:

Side by Side: Ys III (Genesis, SNES, TG-16)

tpivette

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 02:18:07 AM »
Hmm... didn't know there was a Genesis version. Interesting!

Looks like I'm just gonna hold out for the Turbo version though. The auction ends today around midnight... who's going to walk away the winner?
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

esteban

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 03:11:43 AM »
I wrote this article over at Sega-16 which compares all 3 versions:

Side by Side: Ys III (Genesis, SNES, TG-16)

I was going to suggest Keranu's Ys III comparison as well, but it has been lost to the fog, apparently.

Anyway, I always encourage people to play different ports/versions of the same game, especially when they are marketed with captivating taglines such as "Dragons & Wizards... OH MY!"

Consider the audience that they were targeting for SNES Ys III. Oh, wait--are you suggesting that the tagline is universally UNAPPEALING and that it fails to capture the hearts of youth and adults alike?

Personally, "Dragons & Wizards... OH MY!" is good for attracting one specific demographic: the folks who sing children's songs.

Back on topic: tpivette, at the very least, I would suggest listening to the music from the different versions. While the Red Book soundtrack for Turbo/PCE is legendary (rightfully earned, of course), I love listening to the SNES and Genesis tunes as well.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 03:19:50 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

SuperDeadite

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 03:18:40 AM »
With this game, the Sharp X68000 wins for sure.  By far the best version overall. Though I keep my PCE copy for the music as well. :)
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

kazekirifx

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »
The short answer is to get every version.  The more Ys the merrier. 

Yep. That's what I did. I also own the 8bit Famicom version (which is crap), the X68k version, and the original PC-8801 version.

I've probably played through Ys 3 more times than any other game. These days I usually tend to play the X68000 version. Aside from the short length and difficult end boss (which is easy in the Turbo version BTW), I still think Ys 3 is one of the best video games ever made. I am definitely in the minority on this one, but I think they definitely had some good ideas game-format-wise, and it comes close to approaching what I would describe as my perfect game. Falcom continued these good ideas in Popful Mail, which, while also imperfect, also comes so close to my ideal. (If you ever want to see what "Ys III-2" would have looked like, just play the Super Famicom version of Popful Mail.)

Ah, somehow I forgot!  You could also buy the PSP/PC version of Ys 3 titled Oath in Felghana.  This is my favorite version, truly, a complete remix of Ys 3, it's fantastic IMO.

Yeah. Except it's not Ys 3; it's an entirely new game. Also an excellent must-play of course, but no substitute for the original.

tpivette

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 05:20:17 PM »
well... got outbid on the Turbo version of this game tonight, as well as 3 other Turbo games that went off in the same time frame. Guess I'm just not willing to pay what the average ebayer dishes out for these titles. oh well... next time maybe
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

roflmao

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 06:19:05 PM »
well... got outbid on the Turbo version of this game tonight, as well as 3 other Turbo games that went off in the same time frame. Guess I'm just not willing to pay what the average ebayer dishes out for these titles. oh well... next time maybe

A lot of those games tonight sold for WAY more than I expected them to.  :|

storino03

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 09:04:35 PM »
The Ys III one went for $42 I think. Lost it by a few bucks, but oh well. Didn't really need it that badly.

TR0N

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 09:37:54 PM »
The Ys III one went for $42 I think. Lost it by a few bucks, but oh well. Didn't really need it that badly.

You're not missing much the english dubbing for Ys III is hilariously bad.
Still if you realy want the game try pce version it's usely dirt cheap.Any ways i consider the remake,oath in felghana to be the definite version of Ys III.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Black Tiger

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 07:39:02 AM »
Yep. That's what I did. I also own the 8bit Famicom version (which is crap), the X68k version, and the original PC-8801 version.
I picked up every version of Wanderers of Ys, but don't have much interest in the 3D hack 'n slash Ys games.

What don't you like about the Famicom version? It holds up amazing well next to the rest.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 07:51:18 AM »
Go for the cheap SNES version and pick up the import PCE.  That way you can play the game in english, and also experience the turbo version.

I personally think the music is the best in the PCE/turbo version, but the grafx are best on the SNES.

storino03

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 10:40:53 AM »
Yeah, it was nice how there was more voice acting in III than I and II, but I agree. The quality of the voice acting (actors) weren't very good.

Black Tiger

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 11:12:43 AM »
Yeah, it was nice how there was more voice acting in III than I and II, but I agree. The quality of the voice acting (actors) weren't very good.

I think that there is only proportionately more voice acting in III compared to content. The speech is less frequent in I & II because the game is several times longer, but there is a lot of it. IV has the most by far.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum