Author Topic: Ys III for SNES... comparable to Turbo version?  (Read 1323 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: Ys III for SNES... comparable to Turbo version?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 12:24:30 PM »
Too bad I can't understand any of it in IV, so the voice acting there is pretty much useless to me.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 02:38:12 PM »
The short answer is to get every version.  The more Ys the merrier.  

Yep. That's what I did. I also own the 8bit Famicom version (which is crap), the X68k version, and the original PC-8801 version.

I've probably played through Ys 3 more times than any other game. These days I usually tend to play the X68000 version. Aside from the short length and difficult end boss (which is easy in the Turbo version BTW), I still think Ys 3 is one of the best video games ever made. I am definitely in the minority on this one, but I think they definitely had some good ideas game-format-wise, and it comes close to approaching what I would describe as my perfect game. Falcom continued these good ideas in Popful Mail, which, while also imperfect, also comes so close to my ideal. (If you ever want to see what "Ys III-2" would have looked like, just play the Super Famicom version of Popful Mail.)

Ah, somehow I forgot!  You could also buy the PSP/PC version of Ys 3 titled Oath in Felghana.  This is my favorite version, truly, a complete remix of Ys 3, it's fantastic IMO.

Yeah. Except it's not Ys 3; it's an entirely new game. Also an excellent must-play of course, but no substitute for the original.

I disagree.  To me, it's the same game with the same levels, but now it's overhead rather then sidescrolling.  The levels themselves are greatly expanded upon, as is the story.  Infact, one of my gripes with Wanderer's, is that it doesn't really connect to the rest of the series, aside from Adol & Dogi being in it.  

Spoilers????

In Oath in Felghana, the story connects it more to the Romun Empire with it being a province or state of the Romun, connecting it to Ys 4 & 6.  You got Emelas & the influence of the Eldeen(though I don't think Genos is Eldeenian), connecting it to Ys Origin, 1, 2, & 6.  You got Galbalan connecting it to Ys 6(though I suppose Wanderer's has that as well).  There's probably a few other connections I'm forgetting.  We really need a good Wiki on the Ys series!

Anyways, the only thing to me that's truly different, is the overhead view & the combo attack's.  Everything else feels like "home" to me, but with just more of it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 02:39:52 PM by ParanoiaDragon »

RegalSin

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 03:33:52 PM »
The turbo version??????? Look, uhm the PCE version is the best out of all versions, however each game system has their own taste, including the Mega Drive. I own a PCE, so duh I am going to say the PCE version. I couldn't even bare to play the SNES game anymore after the PCE, and the MD has that 1980's overtone to it.

blah blah blah remakes, are for the children, the youth, who thinks like oh wow, pi system cool resolution, and all of that rubbish. I am using a real 20" television screen,
with what the 1990's had to offer for a regular consumers. The hell, I need that stuff, the same could be said to all of the pre-rendered art of the late generation games before they switched to 2d.

Somehow RPG and Halloween are just ways to sneak in DAD and Midevil undertones.
Especially nowadays, and the fact, that some in game characters are designed to replicate 1980's puppets, and stop motion characters.

What makes me displeasing about the SNES game, is the wolf attack scene, but that is made up for the art of the fourtune teller. It is like in Slayers, try where the statue of the badguy from the first film started to dance around.

....................................................................................

Y's 3 was sappose to be last game, in the series ( even after Y's 4 PCE, Y's 4, and Y's 5, etc and that is it's purpose. Lets go back to Dogi's stomping grounds meet his ole gal, and save some villagers.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 04:47:16 PM »
The turbo version??????? Look, uhm the PCE version is the best out of all versions

I'd rather play the Turbo version than the PCE version.  I'd like to at least be able to read the text, ya know.  The Japanese language does nothing for me.  I don't get off on it.  It doesn't make me feel cooler than my friends.  So yeah, the Turbo version.

Black Tiger

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2012, 05:56:31 AM »
Too bad I can't understand any of it in IV, so the voice acting there is pretty much useless to me.

That is too bad for you, but thankfully there is a version coming in Earth language.

Ys III in English is a mixed bag of minor useful directions and random confusing garbage. Before you get to control Adol for a second, you learn that Ys is actually a science fiction series and Adol is some kind of Doctor Who immortal body swapping character, who has been planet hopping throughout time battling alien Godzilla monsters and actually plays dumb throughout the entire game, even though he and Demanicus go back hundreds of years or more. It also makes absolutely no sense, that when Demanicus was at full strength and size, that Adol could slay him without Demancus even touching him, yet at the end of the game, you barely manage to survive fighting a micro Demanicus torso.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2012, 06:13:56 AM »
I was going to suggest Keranu's Ys III comparison as well, but it has been lost to the fog, apparently.

I know, LaZer Dorks has been down for the past couple years :( ! I really should bring it back up.

In the mean time, here's my Ys III comparison on archive.org .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Dyna138

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2012, 04:05:37 PM »
Obye rule #253

Never buy an alternate version when there is a PCE version.

That's an awesome rule.  :mrgreen:

There's always something about a PCE/turbo version of a game that makes it worth playing...at least except Golden Axe for PCE...

esteban

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2012, 03:52:57 AM »
Yeah, it was nice how there was more voice acting in III than I and II, but I agree. The quality of the voice acting (actors) weren't very good.

I think that there is only proportionately more voice acting in III compared to content. The speech is less frequent in I & II because the game is several times longer, but there is a lot of it. IV has the most by far.

Agreed. Everything is relative to the length of the game proper.

Has anyone written up an intensive Zelda II vs. Ys III article?
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2012, 02:21:27 PM »
Yeah, it was nice how there was more voice acting in III than I and II, but I agree. The quality of the voice acting (actors) weren't very good.
I think that there is only proportionately more voice acting in III compared to content. The speech is less frequent in I & II because the game is several times longer, but there is a lot of it. IV has the most by far.

Agreed. Everything is relative to the length of the game proper.

Has anyone written up an intensive Zelda II vs. Ys III article?

Ys III>Zelda II overall, but broken down it wins for music, art, style, atmosphere, gameplay, fun, replayability, graphics, saving/transfering, etc. I can't think of one way that Zelda II is better, other than ability to run on an NES, but Ys III Famicom still crushes it.

There's not much material for an intensive comparison since it's pretty one-sided.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

kazekirifx

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »
I never much cared for Zelda II.
There isn't really any sidescrolling action RPG which compares well to Ys 3 in my opinion.

NightWolve

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2012, 08:38:14 PM »

No worries, BurntLasagna says the dubbing work is coming along nicely, a majority of the actors have sent in all of their lines, and all the minor technical problems have been solved, so it's going to happen for sure this time!

Once again, it's always a pleasure getting a snapshot of RegalSin's thoughts on things. ;)

storino03

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 09:47:12 PM »
Just completed Ys Oath in Felghana on the PSP. Good game overall. Followed, at least, the Turbo Grafx CD version almost exactly, with expanded story/background information. Funny, I bought it sealed when it first came out in 2010, and never got around to playing it until now. :P

Chuplayer

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 03:10:48 AM »
Just completed Ys Oath in Felghana on the PSP. Good game overall. Followed, at least, the Turbo Grafx CD version almost exactly, with expanded story/background information. Funny, I bought it sealed when it first came out in 2010, and never got around to playing it until now. :P
It was my favorite game of the year that year. I couldn't believe how good it was.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2012, 12:17:14 PM »
It was my favorite game of the year that year. I couldn't believe how good it was.

I concur!  Well, that & Ys Seven, of which I want to play thru again, but I have a ridiculous backlog I'm trying to catch up on!

storino03

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2012, 12:26:15 PM »
Yeah, Ys Seven was much better imo. Downloading Ys Chronicles 1 and 2 to see how it holds up to the TG16 version. I have the psp version sealed.