Author Topic: [UPDATE] Got an extra 7 segment dual LED display? SUCCESS!!!  (Read 657 times)

FiftyQuid

With the help of KC (Keith Courage) I managed to get my broken CD unit up and running again.  Unfortunately, after powering it up I discovered one of the LEDs was burnt out.  Now I know this isn't a big deal.  I mean, how often do you look at the LED display on the CD unit?  Well, it's bothering me.  I don't like that my precious TG-CD is not displaying the numbers correctly.

Here's what it looks like with the number 19 displayed.  Looks good right?

Well not so much so when you get to track 20.

So I decided to desolder it and bring in down to my local electronics shop.  Unfortunately for me, they only carried single disply, not the dual's.  Here is what it looks like out of the TG-CD;

I would like to fix this.  On to my options;

1) Does any have a busted beyond repair TG-CD for sale with a working LED display?
2) Does any one have a spare 7 segment dual display kicking around?
3) Does any one know the dimensions of the 7 segment dual display in the TG-CD?  I don't have a digital ruler handy.
4) Could someone point me to a possible vendor on the internet for a replacement.  Yes, I'm familiar with Google, but I'm hoping someone has experience with ordering electronics of this type online.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:12:37 PM by FiftyQuid »
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

FiftyQuid

Re: Any one have a spare 7 segment dual LED display?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »
Jesus!  Sorry about the size of the images.  I figured the forum would auto size everything.

[EDIT] Okay, so apparently that number on the side is an actual part number.  So I no longer need any of the specs for this part.  However, 3 of my 4 questions are still valid.

1) Does any have a busted beyond repair TG-CD for sale with a working LED display?
2) Does any one have a spare 7 segment dual display kicking around?
3) Does any one know the dimensions of the 7 segment dual display in the TG-CD?  I don't have a digital ruler handy.
4) Could someone point me to a possible vendor on the internet for a replacement.  Yes, I'm familiar with Google, but I'm hoping someone has experience with ordering electronics of this type online.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:12:32 PM by FiftyQuid »

HercTNT

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »
If no one here has what your looking for, contact these guys, they may be able to help.

http://www.retrogamecave.com/

FiftyQuid

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 02:28:31 PM »
If no one here has what your looking for, contact these guys, they may be able to help.

http://www.retrogamecave.com/

Good idea.  I'll write up a message now, but I won't send it.  I'll wait a couple days to see if anyone here can help me.

thesteve

thesteve

thesteve

FiftyQuid

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 05:38:23 PM »
Thanks steve.  Looking at them now.  Looks like I need a digital ruler to make sure the new one has the proper clearance.  None of them have the same character high (6mm) as the original. 

GameFreak

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 05:51:22 PM »
If the blue one fits that would look awesome. But I think the light cover over the LED is already tinted red, but that could be modded with a clear lens easily. hmmm...ideas

FiftyQuid

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 08:06:22 AM »
If the blue one fits that would look awesome. But I think the light cover over the LED is already tinted red, but that could be modded with a clear lens easily. hmmm...ideas
I was just going to ask what everyone thought of the colour choices.  Green was my go to colour, but blue might be nice.  It would come out purple because of the cover over the LED.

Right now I'm trying to locate a digital slide ruler so I can measure the size of the original component.  I was hoping I could use the character height, but 6mm doesn't seem to be an option.  7.1mm is as close to original as I've been able to find.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 08:32:54 AM »
I was just going to ask what everyone thought of the colour choices.

I'd want yellow or orange to go with the TG-16 coloring.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

thesteve

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 08:48:36 AM »
if nothing else the original could be repaired, by drilling and inserting a new led

FiftyQuid

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 09:06:25 AM »
I'd want yellow or orange to go with the TG-16 coloring.
Nice!  I hadn't thought of that.

if nothing else the original could be repaired, by drilling and inserting a new led
I'm not sure I'm up for that, but I will if it comes to it.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 12:31:07 PM »
Posting this here as a reference.  LB-202VB datasheet.

Rohm Semiconductor produced the LB-202VB for NEC back in the 90's.  The company is still in business;
http://www.rohm.com/products/opto_device/led_display/numeric/#03

The LB-202VB was produced in four standard colours:  red, orange, green, yellow.  It is an Anode device.

Quote from: FQ's email to ROHM Semiconductor ~ Jul 7, 2012
This is going to be an odd request.  I want you to know this now.  Back in the 90's your company produced the LB-202VB for a video game peripheral called the TurboGrafx-CD.  Well I still have one and one of the LEDs has died.  I am looking for a replacement and you are my last hope.  Other LEDs on the market, including the ones you sell now, are too large.  I thought I would take a chance and see if you have a drawer of LB-202VB in storage gathering dust.  If you do, I would greatly appreciate being sent a 'sample' of this product.  If you do not have the VB version, the DB, YB, or MB would also be greatly appreciated.  Please feel free to contact me at my personal email address for more info (***************).  I would prefer to find the part that fits rather than modify and barnacle an equivalent part.  Thank you very much for your time.

This company may actually sell the original part:  http://www.sbonwe.com/StockEn/L/LB-202VB.html

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 01:24:11 PM by FiftyQuid »