Author Topic: Which hucard games save and is any extra hardware needed?  (Read 987 times)

Drakon

Which hucard games save and is any extra hardware needed?
« on: July 09, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »
I'm curious if I need to buy anything for my white pc engine to get hucard games to save.
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

BigusSchmuck

Re: Which hucard games save and is any extra hardware needed?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 11:11:48 AM »
Yes and no. A few hucard games like Populous have built in batteries. You'll have to get some sort of japanese equivalent to the turbo booster in order to save some of the other hucard games like Neutopia 2. Or just get the Super CDrom2 unit which I do believe has it built in already.

ApolloBoy

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 11:12:17 AM »
You'll need either some kind of CD add-on, the Tennokoe 2 or the Backup Booster.
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

vestcoat

Drakon

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 11:22:57 AM »
I'm also curious, when the data is saved to the system what type of hardware is the data saved on?  Is it flash?  Battery backed ram?

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 11:45:29 AM »
I'm curious if I need to buy anything for my white pc engine to get hucard games to save.

It may be too late for you now, but you could have bought a Duo system for the price of the Turbo Everdrive and a TG-16/PCE and just downloaded CD games for free. The CD library is much better than the HuCard library. It's still worthwhile in the short term to just buy a Duo system, since it supports game saving and is an inevitable purchase down the road.

Yes and no. A few hucard games like Populous have built in batteries. You'll have to get some sort of japanese equivalent to the turbo booster in order to save some of the other hucard games like Neutopia 2. Or just get the Super CDrom2 unit which I do believe has it built in already.

No HuCards support on-card saving. Populous only has extra ram for rendering the landscapes.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 11:51:22 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

cabbage

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 11:59:09 AM »
I'm also curious, when the data is saved to the system what type of hardware is the data saved on?  Is it flash?  Battery backed ram?
The internal Backup RAM uses a capacitor in the Duo and CD attachments, if I'm not mistaken. So, if you leave your machine off or in storage for a long time without powering it up, you risk the capacitor running down and losing all the saved data. Pick up a Ten no Koe card to back up important saves/make room for more saves. The internal BRAM is only 2K and can get full pretty quickly depending on what games you play.

Drakon

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »

It may be too late for you now, but you could have bought a Duo system for the price of the Turbo Everdrive and a TG-16/PCE and just downloaded CD games for free. The CD library is much better than the HuCard library. It's still worthwhile in the short term to just buy a Duo system, since it supports game saving and is an inevitable purchase down the road.

No HuCards support on-card saving. Populous only has extra ram for rendering the landscapes.

I like the look of the white pc engine and it gives me an excuse to engineer a decent s-video mod for one.  It was around 67$ shipped which is pretty good.  I'm not a fan of cd technology but having a flash device got me interested.

Keith Courage

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 05:40:07 PM »
Pick up one of these. Also, only certain games have a save option. Off the top of my head I know that Neutopia and devils crush can use it. Maybe some other members here can think of some others. So don't expect to be able to save any game you want. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tennokoe-2-Hudson-HC66-6-PC-Engine-Backup-Memory-Adapter-Japan-import-/221020390373?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item3375d783e5

storino03

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 06:01:18 PM »
Ys Book 1 and 2, Ys III, Cosmic Fantasy 2, Exile 1, and Neutopia are the ones I've noticed have actual saving (not password only).

vestcoat

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 06:43:33 PM »
Ys Book 1 and 2, Ys III, Cosmic Fantasy 2, Exile 1, and Neutopia are the ones I've noticed have actual saving (not password only).
See the link I shared. It's old info, but comprehensive.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 05:34:54 AM »
No HuCards support on-card saving.

Except the Tennokoe Bank.  :P
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SuperDeadite

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 05:42:24 AM »
See the link I shared. It's old info, but comprehensive.

Missing a lot of games though on the Japanese side.  Such as War of the Dead.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

pceslayer

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 06:15:18 AM »
a working or busted Super CDrom2 unit(even if the CD Unit doesn't work the storage should) and a Tennokoe Bank.

galam

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 06:42:24 AM »
No HuCards support on-card saving.

Except the Tennokoe Bank.  :P

Does this thing work on a US duo? I have never heard of this.  Pic anyone?