Author Topic: Ouya game console?  (Read 3415 times)

nodtveidt

Re: Ouya game console?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 03:45:53 AM »
Isn't the XNA framework free?  I mean not to actually produce the games, but to code them?
Yes. The difference is that you are bound to XNA if you're an indie; that means you're stuck with C#, the 2GB limitation, and unable to produce physical media. You are also limited in the amount of money you can charge for your game. With this, you're still essentially stuck with the Android SDK, which means java-like developing (which is close to C# anyway), but all the other restrictions are thrown away.

The main difference, for me, is going to be the machine's capabilities. If this can't compete, on a physical level, with the 360, there won't be any reason to jump ship. The 360 can do more than what I need, and I can certainly keep most productions under 2GB in size.

Nando

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 03:57:22 AM »
The main difference, for me, is going to be the machine's capabilities. If this can't compete, on a physical level, with the 360, there won't be any reason to jump ship.

Specs wise you mean?

It looks decent:
Tegra3 quad-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
USB 2.0 (one)
Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
Android 4.0

and the Tegra chip is supposed to be able to do this?

termis

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 03:58:56 AM »
right there. who's gonna raise up a lot of monies for something which in the end may only raise a stink?

20,968 BACKERS <--- apparently that many

$2,637,075 PLEDGED OF $950,000 GOAL

28 DAYS TO GO

Right, $2.6M sounds like peanuts to me to so far... Hell multiply that figure by 100, and it still doesn't sound like that much TBH... But I still wouldn't know yet whether that's enough to make this venture a success... BECAUSE THERE ARE NO NUMBERS!

Quote from: kotaku
...Venture capitalists, Uhrman said, "are still scared away from hardware."

Yeah, no venture capatalist in their right mind would put up healthy amount of cash with just fluff which is what's posted there.  How sizable is the total market?  What are the different market segments?  Who are they targeting from this segment (need more much specifics than "console player")?  How much market share do they expect to achieve?  What's their action plan for that?  What are the the expected revenues?  Expected expenses?  Why do they need ~$1M to start-up, and how did they come up with that figure?  And on and on and on... and NONE of this is answered. 

Look, don't get me wrong.  I'd love to eat my words.  An open-source console platform sounds pretty rad, but I'm nowhere near convinced that this will be a success - hell, truth be told, it almost sounds more like a scam!

soop

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 04:11:12 AM »
It kind of does.

More to the point though, once all that is answered, who is down to develop for it.  It's one thing to say that one could code games, but you don't want to get into a chicken/egg situation where nobody's buying it because there's no games, and no-one is developing for it because no-one is buying it.

I mean look at the GP32.  Pretty much anologous, right?  Open sourced hardware that could run emulators and existing software.  Don't know the numbers, but I think it was pretty niche.

nodtveidt

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 05:22:00 AM »
Don't forget that in Gamepark's case, the original product was essentially squashed by Nintendo. Even after they fragmented, both sides still couldn't produce enough interest due to Nintendo's previous interference. This time, it's an upstart against all three... if all three bare fangs, it's gonna be bloody obvious that they all have something to lose.

Quite honestly, I hate wireless controllers. My 360 has wired controllers on purpose. Is this thing HDMI-only? That'd be dumb... not everyone has an HDMI-capable set yet... we're lucky we have one here (it was free). Aside from those details, I could see myself coding something for this... if it actually comes out. I was kinda psyched for OpenPandora, but that thing's been a trainwreck over the years and I lost all interest in it.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 05:38:01 AM »
It's basically a fancy tablet in a box with a controller.

Fancy casing and stuff.

Sucks the dev thing is sold out, and cost 700$ in the first place.

If I am going to do Android, I can do it for less than 700$. 

I anticipate an armada of touchypoke flashlike games that I sit and play on my laptop while I'm crapping, or games that offer about as much depth as a kiddie pool.

There will be a handful of cool games, I am sure.

but I bet they show up elsewhere too... so this thing seems like an idea thats about 20 years too late.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

storino03

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 08:04:52 AM »
Not 20 years, more like 5 years too late. snap

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 09:58:28 AM »
Not 20 years, more like 5 years too late. snap

If they had a device like this at a time where there were no other viable options for independent game making aside from PCs, it would have killed.

20 may be a bit of a stretch, but its sure more than 5.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Nando

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 10:17:11 AM »

There will be a handful of cool games, I am sure.

but I bet they show up elsewhere too...

Well I thought that was the point. You can get the box and start playing right away, cause any dev could take their current android game and "port it" and one would also be able to do console specific stuff for the WOW factor. 

I would imagine they would have to have a couple of heavy hitters games/developers in their pockets with release games in order to make a dent.

RegalSin

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 01:32:14 PM »
Oh I know what their plan is. Get everybody riled up, on the internet, and then get inspired to build the perfect console.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:35:44 PM by RegalSin »

Nando

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2012, 03:30:24 PM »
...and then get inspired to build the perfect console.

start pce manufacturing again? Brilliant!

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 02:16:51 PM »
If someone can build a PCE cart port, & add a CD Rom via USB(though, preferably it'd be nice to have them as part of the console, rather then connected), maybe have SGX support, & possibly have the Arcade Card built in, not to mention being able to use original PCE pads, that would rock!  We could call it The Obey! :D  I wonder if it'd have to run on emulation, perhaps some variation of Mednafen for accuracy.  If the total price for all that is low enough, that might be worth it, as an alternative to people who can't afford a TG & the CD, or a Duo, etc.  Plus, it'd be nice to play all my games on it, to keep my Turbo's from getting the wear n' tear.

soop

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2012, 09:38:07 AM »
If someone can build a PCE cart port, & add a CD Rom via USB(though, preferably it'd be nice to have them as part of the console, rather then connected), maybe have SGX support, & possibly have the Arcade Card built in, not to mention being able to use original PCE pads, that would rock!  We could call it The Obey! :D  I wonder if it'd have to run on emulation, perhaps some variation of Mednafen for accuracy.  If the total price for all that is low enough, that might be worth it, as an alternative to people who can't afford a TG & the CD, or a Duo, etc.  Plus, it'd be nice to play all my games on it, to keep my Turbo's from getting the wear n' tear.

Again, we need a PCE on a chip!

Nando

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2012, 01:47:16 PM »

That would be pretty tight.

I like what is being done with PCE.emu by Robert Boglia. It's what I've been running on my phone for over a year now. Has all the features already built it. Worth every penny.

http://www.explusalpha.com/home/pce-emu

tsuran

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2012, 08:05:05 PM »
This looks..... eh. Pretty much like the OnLive, and as far as I know, that didn't do too well. I was talking with a friend and reading up on it and there was a good point: this console is doing the moonwalk. Seeming to go forward, but actually going back.  :lol:
Posting is overrated.