Author Topic: Ouya game console?  (Read 3422 times)

thesteve

Re: Ouya game console?
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2012, 08:32:11 PM »
the controller looked promising

Nando

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2012, 06:39:42 AM »
DAYUM!

BACKERS

$4,903,704
PLEDGED OF $950,000 GOAL

DAYS TO GO

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2012, 07:11:04 AM »
Watch them deliver a subpar product and wipe their asses with the profits as they fall off the grid, pockets full of $$, and blow.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

soop

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2012, 03:06:49 AM »
Watch them deliver a subpar product and wipe their asses with the profits as they fall off the grid, pockets full of $$, and blow.

This is actually going to happen.  Unless, miraculously, it gets to the point where it snowballs.  But 38,000 people is nowhere near enough consumers to back a world class product.  IMO.

I reckon you'd need more like a userbase of a million.  Is it worth developing (free) games for an installed userbase of 40,000 people?  Even if it's a port, you'd have to be awfully confident to spend time and money developing a game which 40,000 people *might* give you micropayments for.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:11:05 AM by soop »

Nando

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2012, 04:05:36 AM »

This is actually going to happen.  Unless, miraculously, it gets to the point where it snowballs.  But 38,000 people is nowhere near enough consumers to back a world class product.  IMO.

I reckon you'd need more like a userbase of a million.  Is it worth developing (free) games for an installed userbase of 40,000 people?  Even if it's a port, you'd have to be awfully confident to spend time and money developing a game which 40,000 people *might* give you micropayments for.

True dat, smart dev's would make an android game and maybe add Ouya controller support or something.

Scary that the same folks doing this were the one's doing the Phatom....yeah..

nodtveidt

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2012, 04:30:01 AM »
Is it worth developing (free) games for an installed userbase of 40,000 people?
We make games here for a userbase of under 1000... and remember, the Ouya isn't about making free games, it's about making games that contain some kind of free play. You're still able to charge whatever you want for the full product.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2012, 04:33:10 AM »
Yeah, but the difference between doing it here in TurbobLand and RealWorldLand is, we aren't expecting to be wiping our asses with 100$ bills after we release games on the Turboboner

soop

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2012, 04:53:28 AM »
Yeah, but the difference between doing it here in TurbobLand and RealWorldLand is, we aren't expecting to be wiping our asses with 100$ bills after we release games on the Turboboner

Exactly. We're talking about full scale products with teams of employees who expect to be able to eat at the end of the month, purely on what they do.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/17/interview-ouya-ceo-julie-uhrman/

In other news, they haven't actually finished designing it yet.  I'm willing to bet they allow mission-creep to dictate the hardware.

and I bet Microsoft bought up most of those developer kits too :D  Probably the easiest way to shoot them in the kneecap!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2012, 05:09:34 AM »
Hope it don't fall on its face.

Wouldn't it be funny as f*ck if they turn out to be tablets inside, with the output routed out the back of the case, and a bluetooth controller?

That would be the biggest, funniest scam ever.

DrBread

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2012, 05:39:12 AM »
I don't like the idea it's just only android market games and it probably has a weak gpu. BUT it will make a great emulator and it's open for homebrewers.
I really like video games...

nodtveidt

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2012, 07:31:53 AM »
The Tegra3 is supposed to have decent graphics capabilities.

thesteve

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2012, 07:38:58 AM »
if it can bring clasic style gaming to HD compatability it would make a great retro console

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2012, 08:19:17 AM »
The Tegra3 is supposed to have decent graphics capabilities.

It's decent for a phone, but I can't see it looking good scaled up to more than double the resolution.  Aren't most PS3 and 360 games only 720p?  If they can't handle 1080p, there's not much chance the comparatively weaksauce Tegra3 is going to look great in HD.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

storino03

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2012, 10:48:57 AM »
Yeah, graphics are not as good as ps3/360 as a dedicated home console. The graphics are good for a cell phone though.

RegalSin

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2012, 11:34:49 AM »
I think the idea, is to have all of your cell phone games running on one console, instead of searching for cell phone emulators.

Like for example, Rockman Dash and Resident Evil CGI had Cell phone games in fully 3d. I would love to play those games on my Gamecube right now, but instead they are making a console to run something I could get run on a computer?

Meanwhile........Regalsin spends hundreds of dollars on Computer that is less then 14mhz.