Author Topic: Ouya game console?  (Read 3418 times)

storino03

Re: Ouya game console?
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2012, 11:46:03 AM »
It depends if developers are willing to add support for game controllers and that specific console. I doubt games will be able to be adapted to work flawlessly right away.

nodtveidt

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2012, 01:25:19 PM »
The Tegra3 is already 1080p by default, or so it says on Nvidia's website. Many games use 720p because they would otherwise have to be scaled down for 720p or 480p, which might not give such good results... it's better to scale up than down. Also, fewer display lines means less work for the GPU.

Well, considering the vast amount of interest in this console from backers, I'm seriously considering it now... I may even back it myself with a substantial donation.

storino03

« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2012, 03:37:42 PM »
I'm just going to watch idle, and see if the product actually comes to fruition in the spring of 2013. If it does, and it looks promising, I may pick it up at that time.

soop

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2012, 10:35:38 PM »
Don't forget, phone screen resolutions can be higher than TVs.  The iPhone 4 is much higher res than any HD TV.  Not that it's android mind.

bob

« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »
I haven't read all the posts, and maybe somebody mentioned it already, but isnt Apple half way there with the Apple TV?  Couldn't they just essentially create a controller and be done with it?  It already plugs into iTunes and iTunes already has games, I'm surprised this hasn't happened already. I'm no apple fanboy by any means, but I like my AppleTV quite a bit for what it does.

soop

« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2012, 12:58:25 AM »
I haven't read all the posts, and maybe somebody mentioned it already, but isnt Apple half way there with the Apple TV?  Couldn't they just essentially create a controller and be done with it?  It already plugs into iTunes and iTunes already has games, I'm surprised this hasn't happened already. I'm no apple fanboy by any means, but I like my AppleTV quite a bit for what it does.

That's actually a really good point..  Didn't I see some kind of article mentioning something like this somewhere?

That alone would kill ouya. *edit*, well, maybe not, but it would dent them.

bob

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2012, 02:04:15 AM »
I haven't read all the posts, and maybe somebody mentioned it already, but isnt Apple half way there with the Apple TV?  Couldn't they just essentially create a controller and be done with it?  It already plugs into iTunes and iTunes already has games, I'm surprised this hasn't happened already. I'm no apple fanboy by any means, but I like my AppleTV quite a bit for what it does.

That's actually a really good point..  Didn't I see some kind of article mentioning something like this somewhere?

That alone would kill ouya. *edit*, well, maybe not, but it would dent them.

Right, there is already a well established platform and distribution ecosystem.  Sounds like ouya is trying to build this from the ground up.  Essentially, this is just an Android version of what apple is already positioned to do.  The kickstarter pledges all seem to reserve a username for the platform (iTunes is already there), create an affordable channel to buy games (iTunes), no media (iTunes), probably no netflix (iTunes has it).  It just doesn't make much sense to put another box in the market.  Maybe they should have partnered with Roku and just build the middleware to access the Android Play market...and build a controller.  It just seems this is late to the game, even though Apple has not pulled the trigger yet on making the games available.  Apple could even take it a step further since the products already contain AirPlay which pushes apple content to a TV if you have the AppleTV box.  Fire up a game on the iPad or iPhone, push it to TV using AirPlay and you're good to go.  Again, the controller is the missing piece.  Actually, don't some bluetooth pads/joysticks already work?

Not to sidetrack the post, but I have been having a hell of a time getting a wiimote to synch with my Samsung Glide to work with PCE.emu.
About the only games I can play are boxyboy and military madness with the onscreen controls because they don't take quick reflexes which always makes me miss the buttons.  I hate onscreen controls no matter how they are implemented.

Nando

« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2012, 02:11:22 AM »

Not to sidetrack the post, but I have been having a hell of a time getting a wiimote to synch with my Samsung Glide to work with PCE.emu.

If you have Root access and a PS3, the six axis pairing tool works really well. I have a Samsung Conquer.

bob

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2012, 02:22:45 AM »

If you have Root access and a PS3, the six axis pairing tool works really well. I have a Samsung Conquer.

I am borderline retarded with this stuff and I'm not afraid to admit it.  I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'm sure you do.
I have learned more from this forum in a couple of months than google has taught me in 5 years.  I stayed home from work for a week because I was so proud of myself to get the homebrew channel to work on my Wii.  Played all NES and Turbo ROM's during that time, then realized emulation kind of sucks, so I have been buying a lot more originals.  Only good thing about emulation, is it certainly steered me away from some games that I'm glad I didn't waste money on.  Once I got it working, I bought a second wii because I didn't want any system updates to wipe it out.  That one now sits in my gameroom with no internet connection and I won't play any new games on it.

Nando

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2012, 02:52:46 AM »
  Only good thing about emulation, is it certainly steered me away from some games that I'm glad I didn't waste money on.

Pretty much what I do as well.

Anyway, here ya go: http://www.dancingpixelstudios.com/sixaxiscontroller/about.html  should have everything you need to get you started. Samsung bluetooth protocol is a joke and they never kept up with the google pledge, in any event make sure you use the free test tool to check your compatibility.

If you can't get it to work, you can root it, just gotta make sure you disable the auto updates on your phone or you'll run into the Wii issues you mentioned.
Here's some info on that
http://www.androidauthority.com/captivate-glide-sgh-i927-root-50803/

esteban

« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2012, 05:10:57 AM »

I hate to be the eternal pessimist, but the Ouya reeks of wishful thinking.

Designing the hardware itself is simply the beginning of the challenges... I have little confidence in the experience and talents of the Ouya Team to pull this off. Heck, it would be difficult for one of the heavy hitters to pull this off (from scratch).

|    | 

soop

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2012, 05:17:28 AM »

I hate to be the eternal pessimist, but the Ouya reeks of wishful thinking.

Designing the hardware itself is simply the beginning of the challenges... I have little confidence in the experience and talents of the Ouya Team to pull this off. Heck, it would be difficult for one of the heavy hitters to pull this off (from scratch).

"I know, let's crowdsource everything!"

guyjin

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2012, 11:05:45 AM »

Tegra3 promo video. Nothing mind blowing, but a little more involved than Angry Birds.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

SuperPlay

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2012, 09:11:59 PM »
I have $99 dollars here somewhere ..... let me at it ;-) LOL

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2012, 05:51:14 AM »
Well, considering the vast amount of interest in this console from backers, I'm seriously considering it now... I may even back it myself with a substantial donation.

why donate?  it's already funded, and the developer tier is sold out.

Would be a waste.   They don't need anymore money.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.