Author Topic: WTB: TG16 with CD add-on, TurboDuo Sys, or Duo-R Sys  (Read 457 times)

sauce55

WTB: TG16 with CD add-on, TurboDuo Sys, or Duo-R Sys
« on: July 10, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »
I am looking for a working TG16 with the CD add-on, US TurboDuo System, or a Duo-R with region mod with all original cables.  I looking for a system to play US CD games don't really have a need to play Japanese games.  If any one has one for sale please send me a PM.

Thank you
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:47:40 PM by sauce55 »

jperryss

Re: WTB: TG16 with CD add-on or TurboDuo Sys
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 03:32:44 PM »
Are you set on a US system?  I'm gonna be "that guy" and recommend either a Japanese Duo-R with a region mod, or instead of the region mod a standard US TG16 to play the US hucard games. More bang for your buck that way, and the Duo-R (or RX even) are generally more reliable with less capacitor issues than the black US or JP Duo.

sauce55

Re: WTB: TG16 with CD add-on or TurboDuo Sys
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 03:42:57 PM »
More bang for your buck that way, and the Duo-R (or RX even) are generally more reliable with less capacitor issues than the black US or JP Duo.

What is the difference between the Duo-R Duo-RX?

jperryss

Re: WTB: TG16 with CD add-on, TurboDuo Sys, or Duo-R Sys
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 03:54:21 PM »
The white Duo-R was sort of a 2nd gen Duo that was released as a PCE Japanese model only. The RX was basically the 3rd gen version. Functionally they are the same as the original Duo, but are generally known to be more reliable whereas the original black Duo (both US and JP) seem to be plagued with capacitor issues (fixable, but requires soldering). CD games aren't region-locked and can be played on either system, but hucards can only be played on their native systems (unless your console has a region mod done to it).

There are more of the Rs and RXs available than the US Duos, and they are generally cheaper, even after the pricey shipping from Japan where most of the ones on eBay ship from. They go up for sale here from time to time, if you stick around that might be your best bet.

roflmao

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 03:57:21 PM »
The Duo-RX was released after the Duo-R.  The main difference is that it included a six-button controller at launch.  It seems to me that a lot of time when you see them on eBay nowadays, though, they don't include that controller.  From what I've heard, both the Duo-R and the Duo-RX are built of higher quality components so they theoretically should last longer than a PC Engine Duo or Turbo Duo.

EDIT: Ah! jperryss beat me to it!

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »
japanese pc engine and a region mod!
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

khog143

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 04:34:24 PM »
In any case, if you decide you want the TG-16 with CD, I might have one, I would have to test if it works though.  Last time I tried to use it, it was being real finicky on when it wanted to work.  And I don't know anything about the internal workings or anything to tell you whether or not it needs a cap replacement or what.

GameFreak

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 12:56:50 AM »
So many choices

......it's what's on the inside that counts

Frank_fjs

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 02:07:01 AM »
Too many choices I say!

Duo
Duo-R
Duo-RX
PC Engine + IFU-30
Core Grafx + IFU-30
Core Grafx II + IFU-30
SuperGrafx + IFU-30 + RAU-30
LT + IFU-30
PC Engine + SuperCDROM2
Core Grafx + SuperCDROM2
Core Grafx II + SuperCDROM2
SuperGrafx + SuperCDROM2

Enough hardware NEC?

My pick of the bunch would be a Japanese Duo-R. Reliable, looks nice, common enough to find, the only system you'll ever really need in terms of gaming.

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 02:18:27 AM »
I just PMd ya.  Have either a Duo R or pcengine Duo, both been modded.  Details are in the message.  :)  If you buy one of them, I pack VERY securely. 

Jibbajaba

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »
Get a Duo-R.  I love mine.

Chris

roflmao

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 04:03:20 PM »
If you buy one of them, I pack VERY securely. 

This is the truth.

esadajr

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 10:54:33 AM »
I just recently got a Duo-R with the region switch and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Now I just need to get more games.
Gaming since 1985

PikachuWarrior

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 11:00:50 AM »
The games on this system are slightly more expensive than other consoles. That's the one thing I noticed since I got mine in April

jperryss

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 02:01:43 PM »
And there are plenty of JP titles (especially shmups) that are playable even if one doesn't know the language.