Author Topic: TG16 wont read HUcards/only shows a white/light blue/ or green screen.  (Read 465 times)

Teknoman

Really wish my first topic wasnt something like this, but I just received a region modded TG16/CD with super system card, turbotap, and one controller from ebay today. Although the description said it was working (showed screens off a TV from the system playing the two cards that came with the system, Legendary Axe and Momotaro turbo, as well as 3.0 boot screen and the gate of thunder CD running), after hooking everything up, i'm having some hucard boot problems  :(

When putting in Legendary Axe or Momotaro (with switch on of course), I just end up getting a solid white, light blue, or green screen with no sound. Gave the cards a good cleaning, and got the same result. I searched around, and it seems like the slot might need cleaning, but i'm not really sure the best way to go about doing that. It couldnt be the power base or anything like that could it? I have the system connected via composite through the CD rom drive/base.

So far i've tried using a q-tip/slight amount of alcohol to try and swab the inside of the slot, but i'm not sure how well that would work for cleaning purposes, or even if that is whats causing the problem.

"There are many difficult times ahead, but you must keep your sense of humor, work through the tough situations and enjoy yourself".

DragonmasterDan

Really wish my first topic wasnt something like this, but I just received a region modded TG16/CD with super system card, turbotap, and one controller from ebay today. Although the description said it was working (showed screens off a TV from the system playing the two cards that came with the system, Legendary Axe and Momotaro turbo, as well as 3.0 boot screen and the gate of thunder CD running), after hooking everything up, i'm having some hucard boot problems  :(

When putting in Legendary Axe or Momotaro (with switch on of course), I just end up getting a solid white, light blue, or green screen with no sound. Gave the cards a good cleaning, and got the same result. I searched around, and it seems like the slot might need cleaning, but i'm not really sure the best way to go about doing that. It couldnt be the power base or anything like that could it? I have the system connected via composite through the CD rom drive/base.

So far i've tried using a q-tip/slight amount of alcohol to try and swab the inside of the slot, but i'm not sure how well that would work for cleaning purposes, or even if that is whats causing the problem.

I couldn't tell from your description if the Super System Card was working, if that works the problem is the cards need to be cleaned, you might want to use an eraser and then use a qtip and isopropyl. If the system card doesn't read either it might be that some part of the mod came undone.
--DragonmasterDan

burn_654

Yeah, I'd check out the mod. Even one wire could have come undone and caused what you are having. I had to wrap my switch connections with heatshrink and electrical tape so none of the pins shorted out against anything in the case.

Otherwise I'd second the notion that the cards could use a cleaning.
Quote from: RegalSin
You know for that r-tard who goes like "oh something retro, let me put down my vabagelina, stop drinking my cheeze wine, and get to playing".

DragonmasterDan

Yeah, I'd check out the mod. Even one wire could have come undone and caused what you are having. I had to wrap my switch connections with heatshrink and electrical tape so none of the pins shorted out against anything in the case.

Otherwise I'd second the notion that the cards could use a cleaning.

Yep, if the system card works we know the problem isn't the system. The mod could cause one region or the other to work or not work though.
--DragonmasterDan

Teknoman

Tried the system card earlier, had the same problem. Its the japanese version of the card. At least I think, since I dont have any cd games to test yet, and dont know if you can see the 3.0 screen without one.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:25:48 AM by Teknoman »

"There are many difficult times ahead, but you must keep your sense of humor, work through the tough situations and enjoy yourself".

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
+1 for it being dirty or a failed huey region mod.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Teknoman

I hope its just dirty. The first time I just tried without cleaning and it was a white screen. After swabbing a qtip around, thats when I started getting different colors everytime on start up. Looks like i'd need a gamebit to open it?
I'll try the pencil eraser cleaning method for the cards as well.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:12:27 AM by Teknoman »

DragonmasterDan

I hope its just dirty. The first time I just tried without cleaning and it was a white screen. After swabbing a qtip around, thats when I started getting different colors everytime on start up. Looks like i'd need a gamebit to open it?
I'll try the pencil eraser cleaning method for the cards as well.

If none of the cards are working it sounds like the problem could be the mod.
--DragonmasterDan

Teknoman

Hmm... the seller says he cleaned everything before shipping, and cleaned the slot with an NES cleaning pad. Told me to rub the hucards for a good ten seconds with alcohol, also not to try taking apart the system because of the grounding plates and the fact that I might accidentally disconnect the board with the region mod.

So really nothing helpful. Dont really feel like trying to find an NES cleaning kit either. Guess back to searching for a better way to clean the slot because I definitely dont want to fool with soldering (still holding out hope that it isnt the mod that is the problem). Sorta good news...now i've seen a yellowish-green screen  :roll: I know this system has to work since at least the image with the CD saying PC with the 3.0 card is the same TG16 system (right down to small details like a small circle indentation where the TG16 logo is:

Unless it just happened to be an old image (but I dont think anyone would go through that much effort).

Read on neo-geo.com forums that you could perhaps use a cardboard nail file, slice the round end into a square, and use that, but i'm not sure how well that would work. Wouldnt that mess up the connectors in the slot by being too rough? Unless they just left out the part about covering the square end in some sort of light cloth.

The CD rom works perfectly as far as playing audio cds, so thats another good thing.

EDIT:  On closer inspection, I noticed one of the gamebit screws on the bottom back right of the TG16 is missing, and the back end of the system is slightly more raised than the rest...I wonder if thats causing the cards not to connect?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:36:22 PM by Teknoman »

Keith Courage

I really suspect that something with the region mod came apart. Did the seller do the mod himself? If so just send him back the system to fix it. Just the TG16 that is. If he doesn't do work, myself along with many others in this forums would be happy to fix it up for you.

Teknoman

I really suspect that something with the region mod came apart. Did the seller do the mod himself? If so just send him back the system to fix it. Just the TG16 that is. If he doesn't do work, myself along with many others in this forums would be happy to fix it up for you.

Asked earlier along with telling him about the problem, and he says he didnt do the mod himself, so that is probably what i'll have to do. Actually that was my first thought, but I wanted to see if I could do anything myself before spending more money on the console  :)

Of course i'll do what I have to what with Winds of Thunder and Gate of Thunder 4 in 1 on the way. Not to mention it'll pretty much be my first experience with the system, so thats alot to look forward to.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:49:16 PM by Teknoman »

Frank_fjs

Sorry to hear about your experience, nothing worse than forking out dollars on system only for it to not work.

I hope you get it sorted out, at least there are lots of skilled people here who will be able to repair the system for you if all else fails.

thesteve

if you can solder there is a good chance you could just fix the mod
instruction can be found here (different mods get different instructions)

Teknoman

Sorry to hear about your experience, nothing worse than forking out dollars on system only for it to not work.

I hope you get it sorted out, at least there are lots of skilled people here who will be able to repair the system for you if all else fails.

Yeah i'm just glad its not a complete lost cause.

Really dont have any solder experience (yet) so i'd rather just have someone else experienced take a look at the system.

EDIT: Just realized the purchase should be covered by ebay's buyer guarantee, so best case scenario: I get a full refund, and just find a good modded Duo-R system from someone here.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 11:03:57 PM by Teknoman »

thesteve

the tg16 console is cheap if the cd hardware is good