Author Topic: Turbo CD question  (Read 346 times)

jc78_2005

Turbo CD question
« on: July 18, 2012, 09:04:58 AM »
ok got the "not spinning" cd unit in, and after ya leave it on for about 5 mins, it starts to work? i looked at the gears and they appear fine, im gonan add grease to them when i get home,, is this a laser issue? or just the gears needing lubed? thanks!

turbokon

Re: Turbo CD question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 09:45:08 AM »
Sound like that infamous middle gear warmup issues. Try to move the gears by hand, practically the middle gears. They should move freely. If not, try to take them out, clean them and apply some lube. Be careful not to  break them as they can be easily broken because they are so dried.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

jc78_2005

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 10:08:31 AM »
ok, hope thats all it is, i wil lgive it a shot in an hour or so, and post results.. thanks!

snow Crash

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 10:16:38 AM »
If the gear is starting to cause problems it'd be better to replace it regardless, it seems the plastic is chemically unstable and will turn to cheese eventually. I got a replacement set of Chop.

jc78_2005

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:08:44 PM »
home, took her apart, sure enough the gear seemed a lil sticky, so i used some wd-40 to clean and free it up, then applied some lithium grease, fired up, and the disc spun right up! only game i have is sherlock holmes , but so far seems to be running smooth!

storino03

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 12:27:29 PM »
why does the cdrom need to be 'warmed up' to start? technically speaking

jc78_2005

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 12:37:58 PM »
why does the cdrom need to be 'warmed up' to start? technically speaking

I would suspect, that after it warms up it sorta melts what ever crap was around the gear? maybe broken down old grease? only think that would make sense to me?

Keith Courage

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 02:18:30 PM »
If the teeth on the gear still look good then here is what you can do. Take the gear off and drill out the hole with a smaller than the size of the hole bit. Don't use a larger bit cause you could make the hole too big. Move it around from side to side while doing so and that will get all the old gunky lube out. Then re-grease and put back on.  
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 08:24:28 PM by Keith Courage »

jc78_2005

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 02:39:44 PM »
If the teeth on the gear still look good then here is what you can do. Take the gear off and drill out the hole with a smaller than the size of the hole bit. Don't use a larger bit cause you could make the hole to big. Move it around from side to side while doing so and that will get all the old gunky lube out. Then re-grease and put back on. 
thanks for the tip, so far its running good, i didnt have to remove the gear, hopefully this will last for awhile.