Author Topic: some dude in denver opens fire at a Batman premier  (Read 2182 times)

soop

some dude in denver opens fire at a Batman premier
« on: July 19, 2012, 11:21:28 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9414279/Denver-shooting-Batman-screening-live.html

Eurgh.  reading that is making me sick.  It's so upsetting.  Why would anyone do such a thing?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:27:44 PM by soop »

Bernie

• Facebook URL
Re: some dude in denver opens fire at a Batman premier
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:51:25 PM »
That is terrible!!! 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:20:29 AM »
Why is it random shootings in public places seem to happen in Colorado an in-proportionate number of times?
--DragonmasterDan

soop

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 12:25:29 AM »
Why is it random shootings in public places seem to happen in Colorado an in-proportionate number of times?

Oh yeah... I remember there was a shooting there once.

termis

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 12:26:45 AM »
That's just f*cked.  Waddaya do...?!  Condolences to the victims & their families...

esteban

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 12:39:51 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9414279/Denver-shooting-Batman-screening-live.html

Eurgh.  reading that is making me sick.  It's so upsetting.  Why would anyone do such a thing?

Body armor, gas mask, tear gas...indiscriminate shooting at children (one infant, even) and adults.

This alone is disturbing, but the fact that he timed his assault with a particular moment in the film (reports vary) make it seem as if there was a twisted, sick logic to the gunman's carnage.

This tragedy played out like a grotesque statement on the hyper-violent pop culture we consume.

The horror is not that there are sick people who do sick things.

The horror, for me, is how the assault mirrors the games, films and music we love.

The horror, for me, is how familiar it is.
  |    | 

soop

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 01:02:18 AM »
I don't understand (not having watched this film, but having watched many in the same vein) how someone can take away the violence, but not the heroism.  For me it's the opposite.  If I ever have kids, I'll insist on them reading comics, I learned some great morals from comics.  At least I think that's what I attribute it to.  Maybe it's innate?

But yeah, I maintain it's not the fault of the media we consume.  There have always been violent psychopaths, but an unfortunate combination of access to hugely efficient killing machines and the fact that news travels so fast and wide mean not only do we get massively more destructive acts, but it also seems like it happens more frequently than it used to.

I f*cking hate the NRA for lobbying against gun control in America.  Why does this shit never happen to them?

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 01:14:46 AM »

I f*cking hate the NRA for lobbying against gun control in America.  Why does this shit never happen to them?

Gun Control wouldn't have helped a situation like this. Would you have been happier if the person made a Tim McVeigh like bomb and smuggled it it with his teargas? The problem here is the person who did this, not the constitutional right to bear arms. It's quite cliched to say it, but if guns are outlawed, then only outlaws have guns.

Added in edit: My basic point is this. Crazy people who are intent on harming others have a variety of ways to do it. Restricting our freedoms because other people might abuse them sets a poor precedent for a free society.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:25:22 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

soop

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 01:25:43 AM »
I can't think of a situation that gun control would help more.  Yeah there are shootings in England, but they're really rare because guns are not easy to get hold of, they're expensive, and owning one, except in specific circumstances, will get you arrested and thrown in jail.  That means the kind of people that are going to use a gun for bad reasons need a very good excuse to use one ratehr than "oh I think I'm going to go a bit postal today, let's pop down to Wal Mart and buy a f*cking assault rifle"

I can't think of any situation based in reality where a civilian would need an assault rifle.  It's madness. (and btw, I don't know what guns that guy had other than a shotgun, the assault rifle thing is more of an aside).

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 01:37:47 AM »
I can't think of a situation that gun control would help more.  Yeah there are shootings in England, but they're really rare because guns are not easy to get hold of, they're expensive, and owning one, except in specific circumstances, will get you arrested and thrown in jail.  That means the kind of people that are going to use a gun for bad reasons need a very good excuse to use one ratehr than "oh I think I'm going to go a bit postal today, let's pop down to Wal Mart and buy a f*cking assault rifle"

I can't think of any situation based in reality where a civilian would need an assault rifle.  It's madness. (and btw, I don't know what guns that guy had other than a shotgun, the assault rifle thing is more of an aside).

Without turning this into a drawn out debate I'll just make a few quick points.

First off the term assault rifle is just a weasel word trying to brand a particular type of rifle which can be used for hunting, target shooting or any other purpose as being "for assault".  This isn't a term that was in common use until lawmakers started submitting proposals to legislate firearms and needed to come up with terminology to sell the public on taking away their rights. By calling particular types of firearms "Assault Weapons" it made it easier to sell to John Q Public.

If we started calling certain types of cutlery assault knives, I wouldn't want to ban those either because there are legitimate uses for them.

People collect guns, people hunt, people target practice with them. Calling a gun an "assault rifle" is merely a label.
--DragonmasterDan

Tatsujin

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 01:43:29 AM »
Such a sad thing :(

Condolences to all the families and relatives.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

soop

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 02:53:51 AM »
Dan, an assault rifle is a legitimate category of weaponry, and it is designed for killing as many people as possible in a short a time as possible, and as such, I don't see any need for them outside of warfare.  I understand that there are legitimate purposes for firearms, but you do NOT need an AK-47 for any of them.  So as far as "taking away our rights", I don't think that any human being has the right to arbitrarily wield such personal power.  Remember, the constitution and the right to bare arms could have little idea of a weapon that could fire 600 rounds a minute and shoot through sheet steel.

I personally agree with the fact that it can be a rewarding and skilled passtime, and I also agree that they can be used for hunting, pest control etc.  But there's no need for people to be armed all the time, and there's no way it should be so easy to attain a weapon.

As for "assault cutlery", knives are designed for specific purposes, and while you could explain away a chefs knife to a policeman (over here, you're not allowed to publicly carry a blade over 3" long unless you're transporting it from one place to another), but a katana or some such would be taken pretty damn seriously.

I just want to add, I know you're a cool guy Dan, and it's clear we have different views, but nothing in my post is intended to belittle you or your beliefs - but I suspect I feel as strongly about my views as you do yours, and hopefully that's what comes across.

It's bad enough that you can't get in a decent fight anymore without worrying about some little shit bumping into you again with 10 of his mates, and a guy I knew got stabbed in the heart many years ago for trying to break up a fight.  But when people start carrying guns around for kicks, that's the day I get the f*ck out of dodge.

Sadler

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 03:03:13 AM »
Absolutely horrible. :(

soop, as someone who has lived in Colorado most of his life, owns similar style fire arms and supports the NRA, I'd like to politely request you don't wish death upon me.

tggodfrey

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 03:06:09 AM »
Its not just colorado.....Here in Plainfield Dan, some guy opened fire in a burger king.....The world os going to shit fast!
Games currently in play:
PS3: COD Ghosts
TG16: Boxyboy

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 03:15:11 AM »
It's all because of the lack of enough Turbo for everyone in the world.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"