Author Topic: TurboCd vs. Turboduo  (Read 783 times)

jc78_2005

TurboCd vs. Turboduo
« on: July 21, 2012, 09:00:51 AM »
ok, now that i have sampled a few games (few burnt cd games) im clearly going to stay with the tg/pce stuff, so the question is, how many stil luse the turbocd system vs the duo? i already have the itch for the duo set , its just soo sleek looking, however space ,nore funds allow for both,so at somepoint should i sell the cd setup and jump to the duo? im sure im not the first to face this diliema lol.

storino03

Re: TurboCd vs. Turboduo
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:03:17 AM »
I use the Turbo Grafx 16/CD combo because I like how it looks (and it was free). Screw the people who say system card this or that. I leave it plugged in--if I want to play a hucard game, I'll simply pop it out.

Bernie

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 09:10:07 AM »
ok, now that i have sampled a few games (few burnt cd games) im clearly going to stay with the tg/pce stuff, so the question is, how many stil luse the turbocd system vs the duo? i already have the itch for the duo set , its just soo sleek looking, however space ,nore funds allow for both,so at somepoint should i sell the cd setup and jump to the duo? im sure im not the first to face this diliema lol.

It's really a personal choice.  :)  I personally like the Duo set-up, but am in the process of getting a TG-16/CD set-up as well.  Most likely I will mainly play on the Duo, just cause I like it.  It is certainly a space saver when it comes to US systems.  Now, should you sell the CD set-up?  I certainly would not.  Keep it man, cause you will probably regret selling it.  Just save your funds, and keep an eye out here in the forums for a decent priced Duo.  Trust me, they pop up.  I have bought a few right here in these forums in the past year. 

jc78_2005

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 09:10:32 AM »
haha right, well i like the looks of both, and yeah id be tied to system card 1( i actually like altered beast) and the arcade card at some point anyway lol

jc78_2005

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 09:13:55 AM »

It's really a personal choice.  :)  I personally like the Duo set-up, but am in the process of getting a TG-16/CD set-up as well.  Most likely I will mainly play on the Duo, just cause I like it.  It is certainly a space saver when it comes to US systems.  Now, should you sell the CD set-up?  I certainly would not.  Keep it man, cause you will probably regret selling it.  Just save your funds, and keep an eye out here in the forums for a decent priced Duo.  Trust me, they pop up.  I have bought a few right here in these forums in the past year. 

right, well it wouldnt be anything i would do right now thats for sure, im loving it! having both does for sure seems like the best option,speaking of decent prices, what is a decent price on an arcade card , and a system 1 card?

storino03

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 09:17:50 AM »
system 1 card as in 1.0?

jc78_2005

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »
system 1 card as in 1.0?

thats it. you have to have it, in order to play altered beast properly. on cd.

tpivette

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 09:31:37 AM »
Both!

I currently play US HuCards on my original TG16, and Jap HuCards/CDs on my PC Engine Duo. However, eventually I want to upgrade my TG16 with the CD attachment, and at some point I want a US Turbo Duo, but Duo Rs look so sweet too...

Bottom line, you cant have too many NEC systems!
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 09:39:57 AM »
If you want my opinion, get a Duo-R, then get a chopsado and viola! you can play U.S games on your pce console. Besides, Duo-Rs are cheaper than the U.S Duos and are better built. After you do that, you probably want to get the caps replaced (or if they have been already done a bonus) just to be safe, you really don't want your Duos to start to crap out. If you can afford it, get a supergrafx with the super cd attachment along with a arcade card duo and then you can play everything official PCEwise! Anyway, you got many options to choose from.

storino03

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 09:40:37 AM »
system 1 card as in 1.0?

so you're saying altered beast only works on system card 1.0?

jc78_2005

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »
system 1 card as in 1.0?

so you're saying altered beast only works on system card 1.0?

Yes,it only works properly with system card 1.0, you can play it with others, as long as you dont want to turn into the beast lol, once you change into the beast the screen stops scrolling and you cant progress any further.

jc78_2005

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 09:51:57 AM »
yes those duo-r's  are sure a sexy lil beast lol , i always thought the supergrafx is just awesome looking, however i cant say I like the looks of it with the supercd attached, so many options,, sooo little money.

BlueBMW

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »
If you already have a US Turbo CD setup and it works, I'd suggest finding a Duo-R or RX system.  That way you can play just about everything US and JPN and you have backup in case your Turbo CD decides to fail (which happens WAY too often)
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Bernie

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 09:53:51 AM »
If you want my opinion, get a Duo-R, then get a chopsado and viola! you can play U.S games on your pce console. Besides, Duo-Rs are cheaper than the U.S Duos and are better built. After you do that, you probably want to get the caps replaced (or if they have been already done a bonus) just to be safe, you really don't want your Duos to start to crap out. If you can afford it, get a supergrafx with the super cd attachment along with a arcade card duo and then you can play everything official PCEwise! Anyway, you got many options to choose from.

They may be cheaper...but certainly not better built.  :)

vestcoat

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 10:05:16 AM »
OP - save your money and put it into games. Duo's maneuver discs a bit faster, but TGCD's seem to speed up once they get their gears replaced. Both are equally fun.

They may be cheaper...but certainly not better built.  :)
:-s
Yeah they are.