Author Topic: What are your thoughts about sealed game collecting?  (Read 1676 times)

storino03

Re: What are your thoughts about sealed game collecting?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 06:40:55 PM »
There was this one:

Official Konami Dance Dance Pad (Dreamcast)

This is the official Dance Dance Revolution Pad from Konami. If you are looking for the name brand item, for your Playstation or Dreamcast dancing needs, this is the pad for you!

----http://www.toysnjoys.com/ddr_accessories.html

Not sure if it worked with the game or not. I don't have a DDR pad for Dreamcast myself.

bartre

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 06:44:51 PM »
hmm, must be japan only- but yeah, i guess you're right.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 07:21:03 PM »
Most of it is common stuff like Metroid Prime Trilogy and Mario All-Stars on the wii. And others like Fallout 3 and New Vegas Collector's Editions.

Um...heh, you might as well open those now.

storino03

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »
Why? I already played them. Like I said, if you don't understand the hobby (as I call it), which clearly you don't--it's not about any financial gain. I think of it as a hobby. Something to do besides playing the games. I'm sure you have a hobby of some sort, yes?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »
I have all too many hobbies. None of them are predicated upon staring at things in their packaging.

I like cars, I drive them.

I like records, I listen to them.

I like musical equipment/instruments, I play them (badly).

I like Laserdiscs, I watch them.

The only way I would leave a game in its package is if it were a game I hated...but then if I hated it I would never have it in the first place.

As for my previous comment, those games are kind of naff. Them being sealed does nothing except prevent them from being played. Nobody is ever going to want that stuff more than you want it now, so you might as well just open it.

storino03

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 08:43:56 PM »
You seem to think a sealed game = rare/expensive 10-fold. Just because I collect sealed games, doesn't mean they have to be the super rare in monetary value kind. Society and their money. -sigh-

SignOfZeta

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 09:12:43 PM »
At what point did I ever mention monetary value?

storino03

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »
"Nobody is ever going to want that stuff more than you want it now, so you might as well just open it."

You're implying that if there is no market (people looking) for the games I have, then there is no point in keeping them sealed. I'm not selling them period regardless if it's desired or not.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 09:37:42 PM »
I'm implying that the fact that its sealed is somehow valuable, not necessarily monetarily, to someone such as yourself. You can only open it once, after all. So if you don't feel like opening it, and nobody else wants to open it...WTF good is it? Its just a useless plastic box. I mean, inside is a game, but you can't get inside, so really its not even a game anymore.

storino03

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 09:42:23 PM »
Same reasons that people collect these:

http://www.hallsguide.com/
http://www.hotwheelscollectors.com/news/news.aspx?archive=true&news_id=1009

People collect for fun; a hobby; pastime, you name it. Even no matter if a game I have is "worthless" to the masses.

Ji-L87

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 09:56:09 PM »
Only really good thing about a sealed game is that it's guaranteed to be in top-notch condition when I open it up to play.
Unless it's been, you know, re-sealed.

Collecting sealed copies of games is fine if that game is either rare and worth a lot when you decide to sell it or is special to you in some way and you want to preserve a copy. Or you're a museum. Having sealed games for the purpose of just having them around, seems a bit boring and pointless.

I apologize but I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding this hobby :-k It's not like I don't get it at all, but still.
CHECKPOINT!
There is a perverted Japanese businessman in every Swiss PCE fan.

storino03

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 09:58:58 PM »
It's not like I'm collecting Barbie games or Sesame Street sealed. Part of it is sentimental, hence why I only collect certain ones and not a full-blown system or genre. So in that sense, it's not "just to have around". I appreciate the comments though :)

soop

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »
I have to say I agree with everyone else.  If I buy a sealed game, it's going to get opened the minute it comes through the door.
Actually, I did have 2 Wii games, Madworld and MotoGP (one cheap, the other a prize) which were sat on my shelf for a while.  I haven't actually played either yet, but I did unwrap them.

I think it's one thing to collect games and take good care of them, but quite another to not even play them.  I think it's just an extension of the whole boxed action figures thing, but even more pointless, since it's like really expensive and big picture cards.

Bernie

• Facebook URL
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 01:00:28 AM »
Collecting sealed games is gay....mmkay?

Tatsujin

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 01:36:32 AM »
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^