Author Topic: What are your thoughts about sealed game collecting?  (Read 1683 times)

storino03

What are your thoughts about sealed game collecting?
« on: July 26, 2012, 02:24:25 PM »
I like collecting sealed games, but I only collect mostly last and current-gen titles, and only certain ones. My total is under 70, last time I checked. In that regard, I would probably be considered more of a newb than someone who is more seasoned.

If you want to see the more obsessed type, go look at:

www.sealedgameheaven.com

Some may argue that games should be played instead of kept in plastic and then stored in the basement never seeing any light. I do play the games I have sealed, through other means. I buy the standard editions when they are really cheap. There is almost no point in buying a game at retail release, because in 6 months, they are usually (at the very least) under $30.

I don't even pay full price for the sealed ones because I have a lot of Amazon credit (swagbucks, and other rewards sites--it's easy). For example, Last Story coming out mid August for the Wii, after my gift cards, I only spent $1.51. Kingdom Hearts on the 3DS (Mark of Mastery CE), I only paid under $16 total (for a $55 retail game).

Then there are others in the hobby that also VGA (video game authority) grade their games. Basically you send it off to the company (US-based) and they grade the quality of the seal and then put a number grade to it. It's pointless, pricey, and ridiculous! Unfortunately, others swear by it, for whatever reason.

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:25:58 PM by storino03 »

Opethian

Re: What are your thoughts about sealed game collecting?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »
Invest in land, play video games....

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me

storino03

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 02:31:11 PM »
that made no sense at all. I spend less than some of you guys/gals spend on games each month

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 02:39:04 PM »
I think it's totally f*cking stupid to the highest degree. I sometimes buy sealed stuff, but it always gets opened.

My opinion of VGA is the same for people who run wedding chapels for dogs or sell $500 audiophile grade power cords. They are evil shit who prey upon the overly monied/stupid.

Obfuscate

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 02:41:22 PM »
I don't do it but to each their own.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
Unless you are buying doubles so you have a investment copy and a play copy, then its probably the dumbest thing ever unless you only care about money and not gaming.

Frank_fjs

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 04:24:19 PM »
It's not for me but each to their own.

Personally I don't see the point in spending big dollars on something that never gets used and simply collects dust on a shelf, especially something as trivial as a video game.

I have bought some items that were new/dead stock but I didn't actually seek it out, some systems like the Dreamcast have lots of unsold stock on offer at great prices and I always open and use said item anyhow. I do like new stuff for the fact that it's complete and in pristine condition, but I only buy it if it's cheap and it always get used.

Video games aren't an investment, they will depreciate in value or stop working over time. I spend my video games funds on fun, not for a presumed status in a niche culture.

Re VGA grading, there's a common saying which is highly suitable - "A fool and his money are soon parted". Enough said.

storino03

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 04:44:15 PM »
No one said it was an investment, at least the way I look at it. I think of it as a hobby, something to display, like how people buy action figures, I do this. I don't even look at it as a "stock market investment". Shocking, I know.

Tatsujin

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 04:59:13 PM »
so show us what kind of sealded stuff do you have. just a bunch of sealed useless crap, or really something worth for a showcase display?
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »
This is a gaming forum. You can't play it if you keep it sealed.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Tatsujin

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 05:18:51 PM »
here's a cool story bro.

once upon a time, teh turdy, teh peey, teh cleany and teh flushy went together on a hiking trip. then the turdy suddenly was attacked and eaten up by a horde of flies. the peey, so sad about this happening wept at the side of turdys remains, until almost nothing from him was left. blessedly cleany and flushy also joined that trip, so cleany could clean up the remains of turdy and peey while flushy could take care about the disposal of cleany. flushy then finished the trip by him alone and he all flushed happily ever after. end of (a true) story.

turdy, peey, cleany and flushy 4ever in our hearts:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

storino03

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 05:28:28 PM »
Most of it is common stuff like Metroid Prime Trilogy and Mario All-Stars on the wii. And others like Fallout 3 and New Vegas Collector's Editions.

bartre

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
I have exactly 3 sealed games
Perfect Dark (i've got like 4 copies, and the sealed one was the cheapest for some reason)
Feet of Fury (freebie at MGC, don't care)
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner 2 LE (I don't have the first game, so i see no reason to play this one. yet.)

that said, i see no point in seeking this shit out.
once i get and beat devil summoner 1, #2 is getting opened and played.

storino03

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 06:28:31 PM »
Feet of Fury is a cool homebrew!

bartre

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 06:38:28 PM »
Feet of Fury is DDR on a system that doesn't have a dance pad, kinda pointless imo