Author Topic: Good prices at my local retro video game store?  (Read 527 times)

Bardoly

Good prices at my local retro video game store?
« on: August 09, 2012, 08:03:35 AM »
So, I went to my local retro video game store yesterday, and while browsing, I came across some Turbo stuff.
Since I'm not really up to speed on prices for Turbo CD stuff, I figured that I'd ask about the prices that these games are for sale.

I can't seem to figure out how to directly post the picture here, but here's a link.
https://www.box.com/s/7857f46b1599844ffcce

From top to bottom, left to right, the games are as follows with any comments.

1.  $49.99 - Wanderers from Ys Book 1 & 2 - U.S.-released Turbo CD game complete with instruction manual and case
2.  $19.99 - Aya - Japan-released Turbo CD game complete with instruction manual and case
3.  $14.99 - Brandish - Japan-released-released Turbo CD game complete with instruction manual and case
4.  $14.99 - Street Fighter II - Japan-released HuCard game complete with instruction manual and case
5.  $  5.99 - Davis Cup Tennis - Japan-released Turbo CD game complete with instruction manual and case
6.  $  5.99 - J-League Tremendous Soccer '94 - Japan-released Turbo CD game complete with instruction manual and case
7.  $  6.99 - Super CD Rom Demo CD - Japan-released demo Turbo CD - demos of Tengai Makyou II, Manji Maru, and Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes
8.  $  9.99 - Record of Lodoss War - Japan-released Turbo CD game with case but missing instruction manual
9.  $19.99 - Dragon Slayer - U.S. released Turbo CD game with case but missing instruction manual

I don't currently have any of the above games other than a HuCard-only copy of Street Fighter and I do already have a complete copy of Dragon Slayer (with map!), so which, if any of the above games should I plan to get at the listed prices, or maybe someone can give me a list of recommended prices for the above?

Thanks.

BigusSchmuck

Re: Good prices at my local retro video game store?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:14:22 AM »
A little steep on some of those games Ys books 1 and 2 you should be able to get it for $20ish instead of the full retail price.
Its cool that you even have a store that has some turbo stuff, I have to drive 4 hours to the nearest retro store that carries maybe a few hucards.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 09:04:30 AM »
It's always cool to find stuff in the wild, even if a couple of 'em are kinda overpriced (not horribly though).

P.S. - Brandish and Record of Lodoss War were not released in the US.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Bardoly

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »
It's always cool to find stuff in the wild, even if a couple of 'em are kinda overpriced (not horribly though).

P.S. - Brandish and Record of Lodoss War were not released in the US.

My bad, I was going from my memory when I opened the cases and looked at the games.

vestcoat

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:07:06 AM »
Ys is a bit high and I don't know about Laya, but all of the others seems pretty average. Brandish and SF2 would probably cost that much online if you included shipping.

bartre

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 10:15:29 AM »
honestly, i'm not sure on all of those, Ys seems high, as does SFII (got mine complete for $6 shipped)
most of the others though, i'm not sure.
at any rate though, local turbob, yay!

Flare65

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 10:17:02 AM »
That's highway robbery for Y's I and I.

cabbage

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 04:59:08 PM »
I think you can find all of those games cheaper elsewhere, but remember: they are in a store (locally-owned?), available for inspection, ready to take home and play immediately--worth a premium to some.

Thought I'd also point out that all the games in your photo appear to be Japanese except for Ys. If Dragon Slayer was the US version at $20, I'd say that's a pretty good price. 

T2KFreeker

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 05:02:59 PM »
Yup, no doubt about it, that's the PC Engine Dragon Slayer. Not a bad price for it though.
END OF LINE.

roflmao

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 05:08:24 PM »
The Davis Cup Tennis is also PCE version.  Funny, it was released as a hucard here in the states but looks like the PCE version is SCD?

sauce55

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 05:43:01 PM »
A local store has Shockman with book & case for 29 is that a good price?

bartre

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 05:54:18 PM »
seems good to me, i paid $35 or something for mine.
that said, i'm assuming you mean box and manual, as the game never had an actual case.

reno5

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 12:39:44 AM »
Bit jalous here as there is absolutely no store with TG16 games around here :(

Bardoly

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 11:07:23 AM »
Bit jealous here as there is absolutely no store with TG16 games around here :(

Yep, this particular store has a couple of loosie U.S. HuCards and some controllers/Turbo Taps as well for okay prices, and there are 2 other retro game stores within 25 miles of me that also sell a little bit of Turbo stuff.

johnblueriggs

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »
I'm a sucker for TurboGrafx stuff that if I were there, I'd probably buy it all never mind the price. Then again, I'm severely lacking in 'games' department and need to find a huge lot of games to get me going in the right direction.
John Riggs
Retro Gamer / Collector