Author Topic: Neo Geo X Gold - $200 - freaking seriously?  (Read 2871 times)

Nando

Re: Neo Geo X Gold - $200 - freaking seriously?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »
its got an SD card and it may or may not connect to NeoGeo station service.

I bet you they sell it with a mini joystiq replica, not a full sized one.

bob

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 10:28:22 AM »
Just buy the neo geo comp for ps2 or Xbox. $20. Done.
The games were never that good IMO.

Chuplayer

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 10:49:29 AM »
Ignoring the current prices of AES systems and carts for a minute, how much does just a consolized MVS go for?

It varies. If you go high end with the Analogue Interactive, it'll set you back quite a bit. If you get a less extravagant one, it can cost less.

I got lucky and got a consolized 4 slot for $400 earlier this year. If you aren't such a huge Neo Geo fan as I am, I wouldn't recommend any CMVS or AES, though.

This new Neo Geo X sounds interesting. I doubt I'll get it this year, but if the word of mouth is good, maybe I'll get it next year.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 10:56:14 AM »
Just buy the neo geo comp for ps2 or Xbox. $20. Done.

And don't forget to buy a PS2 or Xbox and a joystick and a Dingoo or whatever for portable use.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

SignOfZeta

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »
its got an SD card and it may or may not connect to NeoGeo station service.

I bet you they sell it with a mini joystiq replica, not a full sized one.

SNK was selling full size AES sticks for PS2 just a few years ago. If they wanted to sell a full sized one they certainly could. I like the AES stick quite a bit, it's not exactly a HRAP or anything. It's not that expensive to make.

Btw, for comparison, the final US home carts were selling for over $350 each when they were released. Now does $200 seem like a lot? Also, the 3DS XL will be $200 when it comes out as well, and thats guaranteed to sell millions of units so Nintendo gets a volume discount these guys can only dream about. An unsubsidized iPhone is $700.

Btw, Tommo still exists?

Also, I assume this picture isn't to scale. If it is then the portable Neo will be HUGE. I'd be fine with that, personally.

SMF

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »
I'm very excited about this, Be awesome to play Neo Geo games on the go then be able to play on the home TV. I was one of those kids that always wanted a Neo Geo but my parents wasent gonna drop $1000 on a system and games. So to me this is the only way to finally own one. Besides I'm curious how much new games will run or what games will be released at system launch Dec 6.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

GameFreak

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 01:33:21 PM »
I want one!
some more pics below with AV out and micro usb plug, sd card slot...
It looks iPhone-ish
I used to have a neo geo pocket color and I loved the controls/joystick on it!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:40:40 PM by GameFreak »

Nando

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »
wow, it does look very iphone ish. But you can't compare the two, this is a niche market item. I'll hold off final judgement though.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 02:01:24 PM »
$200 really isn't sounding bad to me, maybe it's the nostalgia of the Neo Geo? :-k

KingDrool

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 02:38:42 PM »
I bet the emulation scene will get on this. TurboGrafx games on this? I'm in.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

cabbage

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 03:22:52 PM »
Any technical info on this? Is it just some rebranded dingoo or similar, emulating the neogeo, or did they clone the hardware?

I'm guessing it's just an average emulator with a (cheap) plastic shell to interface with a TV and some flimsy joysticks. The shape of the console/joys and neo geo logos all over everything will justify the $200 price long enough for them to turn a profit.

GameFreak

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »
This is made by Tommo Inc which has partnered with SNK to make this device. So in a weird way, it is an official SNK neo-geo product.
http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/images/news/2012/newneogeo.htm

TheClash603

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 04:56:01 PM »
I am excited for this and will definitely get one if the build quality is high.  I just wish that there was a way to play two players when hooked to a TV.  I am guessing that the portable unit needs to dock in the system, which would mean you could not use it for controller #2?

GameFreak

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 08:03:19 PM »

I am excited for this and will definitely get one if the build quality is high.  I just wish that there was a way to play two players when hooked to a TV.  I am guessing that the portable unit needs to dock in the system, which would mean you could not use it for controller #2?

^exactly what i was thinking also. Im sure they sell extra controllers for $$. I see 2 controller ports on the dock. I think the whole point of the dock is 2 player mode.

Time will tell, but with the hdmi and AV-out are on the top of the portable device than you would have to insert it upside down in the dock which might seem/look odd. And even the SNK logo on the back battery cover would be upside down. Maybe the battery cover can go on either way, but in the pic it would stick out upside down. I'm guessing you just stick the device where the cart slot is. It doesn't look like it would fit from the pic, but each of those accessories may not be in scale to each other in that pic.

I want to see more!

Firebomber7

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 08:19:46 PM »
If only it was an actual AES that took AES carts and had standard controller plug-ins...