Author Topic: Neo Geo X Gold - $200 - freaking seriously?  (Read 2877 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Neo Geo X Gold - $200 - freaking seriously?
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
Even though Tommo is making this I still find it crazy that this is nowhere to be found on SNK Playmore's webpage.  Haha I guess SNK really is that lazy.  :lol:

I still love them though.

I don't think that Sega ever promoted the terrible Genesis devices that are technically officially licensed. Sega also didn't promote any of the PC Engine Sega games.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2012, 09:33:43 PM »
THE TRUTH ABOUT NEO GEO: Neo Geo has been (and always will be) the playground of poseurs who, desperately, attempt to prove how "hardcore" and sincere their passion is. Sadly, these poseurs simply have a fetish for STOUT, STOCKY and CHUNKY hardware. It has been said that a NeoGeo fan will dismiss a game based solely on the technical specifications of its platform/hardware. Also, Neo Geo fans willingly play World Heroes. I kid you not. It is, as they say, the Truth. You like sports games? Yes? Good, because Neo Geo has them. Lots of them. Fighting games, an underwhelming subgenre of Genus Sporticus, are-a-dime-a-dozen on SNK's sloppy, fat machine. NEO GEO IS THE BBW OF THE VIDEO GAME COSMOS. That said, I will gladly accept your sloppy seconds. PM me.

Even though Tommo is making this I still find it crazy that this is nowhere to be found on SNK Playmore's webpage.  Haha I guess SNK really is that lazy.  :lol:

I still love them though.

I don't think that Sega ever promoted the terrible Genesis devices that are technically officially licensed. Sega also didn't promote any of the PC Engine Sega games.

Exactly.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:37:53 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

GameFreak

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2012, 09:47:36 PM »

^^^
Yeah you make some good points but IMO...
1. turbografx fans are a bit snobby also so we'll fit right in.
2. this is a great deal if you don't want to pirate, or pay thousands for a handful of original games.
3. They dont have it on their website but they made a new one which will give you updates on production & sales, yeah you have to sign up (I did) @ http://www.neogeox.com/home.html

I cant wait for real pics of the final product

SignOfZeta

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2012, 08:18:44 AM »
They show a picture of the system running KOF 95 stretched to fit the (why?!) 16:9 screen. I hope that isn't a had omen.

blueraven

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2012, 08:24:51 AM »
cool. $200? Ok I can see that.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Nando

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2012, 09:43:15 AM »
They show a picture of the system running KOF 95 stretched to fit the (why?!) 16:9 screen. I hope that isn't a had omen.

More than likely a mock up.

DrBread

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2012, 10:00:28 AM »
Now that i'm thinking about it i would drop 200 on this.
I really like video games...

SignOfZeta

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2012, 10:57:50 AM »

Of course it is. I'm just wondering why a system designed to play Neo games would have a widescreen when there are zero widescreen Neo games.

The answer, most likely, is that this "system" already exists and they are just going to sell a Neo branded version of it...which brings up the ugly possibility of unfixable distorted graphics...

...I really hope they don't f*ck this up...

bob

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
How come neo geo never came out with any fighting games?

TheClash603

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2012, 03:24:49 PM »

Of course it is. I'm just wondering why a system designed to play Neo games would have a widescreen when there are zero widescreen Neo games.

The answer, most likely, is that this "system" already exists and they are just going to sell a Neo branded version of it...which brings up the ugly possibility of unfixable distorted graphics...

What do they do when they put out the collections on PSP or have downloads?  If they put up the borders, that is fine.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »
I dunno if I would drop $200 for a system that has pretty much nothing but fighting games and sports games. If we ever saw Samurai Showdown RPG translated into english and released into the U.S then maybe. As it stands right now, $200 can go to getting a Super Grafx or possibly towards a Wii U.

Nando

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2012, 04:41:35 PM »
I dunno if I would drop $200 for a system that has pretty much nothing but fighting games and sports games. If we ever saw Samurai Showdown RPG translated into english and released into the U.S then maybe. As it stands right now, $200 can go to getting a Super Grafx or possibly towards a Wii U.

It's a super Niche Xmas item.

Tell you what though, if the little machine can be modded, it could be a really cool portable emulator WITH a docking station and full size Neo stick. That is, if the sticks are full sized.

Their site got updated recently. I'm enough of a fanboy to consider getting one, but like you said, there are other gaming "priorities"

SignOfZeta

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
As it stands right now, $200 can go to getting a Super Grafx...

Yeah, you're right. The Supergrafx isn't flooded with fighting games...it isn't flooded with f*cking anything.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2012, 05:40:54 PM »

What do they do when they put out the collections on PSP or have downloads?  If they put up the borders, that is fine.

They run in 4:3 on the VC and PSN. There might be some "for idiots" mode where you can stretch the screen or add art in the pillow bars. I don't have any of the PSP stuff.

The question though is why to they even have a 16:9 screen if all games are 4:3?

Frank_fjs

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2012, 05:46:05 PM »
The docking station and joystick are nice but I think their purpose is to distract you from the fact that this is a basic handheld emulator, not worth the asking price.

I admit that the styling looks nice, but there are many similar products on the market which emulate multiple systems, have TV out and can be used via external controllers through USB OTG or Bluetooth etc - and they cost half the price. Not to mention all the Android based handhelds with WiFi, internet, email access etc.

$200 isn't an insanely bad price, but it's a lot of money for very little functionality.