Author Topic: Neo Geo X Gold - $200 - freaking seriously?  (Read 2868 times)

Nando

Neo Geo X Gold - $200 - freaking seriously?
« on: August 13, 2012, 05:51:32 AM »
 [-X

even with a docking station and a joystiq....$200 is rather pricey.

http://kotaku.com/5934106/the-neo-geo-returns-this-december-for-200

jperryss

Re: Neo Geo X Gold - $200 - freaking seriously?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:57:05 AM »
I think it's a neat idea and it looks like a decent number of games included.  I'll admit I'm not really versed in the NG...how is that game selection compared to the overall library?

Considering that it's a full handheld console (looks like a decent build too, but who knows) plus a home dock and an arcade stick, it seems a little pricey but not "WTF" priced. To me anyway.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:04:53 AM »
I thought originally it was rumored to be twice that much, so $200 doesn't actually sound too bad.

I wonder if it's an advanced console that they could make new games for as well.

Sengoku 4 anyone!??!

420GOAT

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:05:49 AM »
neo geo always costs more. not too bad but still pricey. will it plug into the tv if you wanted?
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

jperryss

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 06:07:59 AM »
neo geo always costs more. not too bad but still pricey. will it plug into the tv if you wanted?

According to the article, yes. Looks like the handheld plugs into a dock which has a video-out to hook up to the TV.

Nando

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 06:08:43 AM »
let the french gobble it up!

The docking station supposedly has TV out yes.

A Q&A session http://www.siliconera.com/2011/01/28/snk-playmore-usa-tackles-your-neogeo-station-questions/ ( a year old one at that)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:10:16 AM by Nando »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 06:22:00 AM »
If the emulation is accurate and the joysticks of decent quality, that doesn't look so bad for getting into NeoGeo legitimately.  The portable part does nothing for me, though, as most titles are more fun two-player.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

DrBread

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 06:48:05 AM »
I would love to own something neo geo because of the awesome games! But what the f*ck...
I really like video games...

Tatsujin

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 06:50:40 AM »
beside that that thing never will see the real sunlight, I don't consider all the stuff for 200 bucks anything just near to "pricey".
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

SignOfZeta

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 07:10:37 AM »
I don't see how this is expensive at all. You get a full joystick with the damned thing even.

The big question is if its actually a piece of junk or not. Will the emulation be good? Will the stick be badly made? And the big one, is it possible to add games? I'm much more worried about that than the price, and I already have an MVS.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 07:21:31 AM »
If it has AV out and I can play more games I will probably get one. This would b perfect to take over to a friends house or on vacation and plug into a TV to play some magical drop in the hotel.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

geise

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 07:35:51 AM »
Oh shit!  I thought the console/docking station and classic style controller were just there for the image.  That's actually not that bad, but if you already own a ps3, wii, 360, laptop with tv-out, this is kinda pointless.  So you can play the games on the go with the neo-geo x, and when you get home just pop it in the console?  It's a nifty idea. This has been talked about months ago, but I thought it was just the handheld.  Is this actually by SNK Playmore?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 07:51:02 AM »
How much would those games cost all together as Virtual Console/PSN releases?

Also, for comparison, an AES with no games is worth at least $150, and it certainly doesn't have HDMI output.

Unless this thing has something wrong with it, I'm totally getting one.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 07:54:42 AM »
hopefully it has the clicky dpad like the NGPC
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

jperryss

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 08:33:42 AM »
$200 might seem a bit steep, but this could be might be winner for someone who has never owned NG stuff and wants to experience it without shelling out, let's face it, a buttload of money, on a system and games. Especially if space is at a minimum and they don't have room for a bunch of giant carts. As a bonus, it doubles as a handheld system for on-the-go playing.

Many of these games might be available on the Wii VC, but the arcade stick is where it's at, and how many people have one for their Wii?

Ignoring the current prices of AES systems and carts for a minute, how much does just a consolized MVS go for?

I'll be curious to see if they offer more games for it down the road. I also think a big part of the value will come down to the build quality. The fact that it appears to be official hardware, as opposed to some cheap Yobo knock-off like those portable NES/SNES units, could be a good sign.