Author Topic: Any interest in trading Comics for Hu Cards?  (Read 856 times)

Colossus1574

Re: Any interest in trading Comics for Hu Cards?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 09:48:34 AM »
Big collections? I have 15 Long Boxes and comics loose stacked on top of them! It's too much, but I just can't let them go!  [-(

We are creatures of nostalgia, OF COURSE we can't let'em go T2k! hahaha. "Props" on the collection...i only got half of your's i think. Mind you, i still buy a few here and there when i attend conventions for fun.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 09:48:47 AM »
The covers always got me.  It's one of the reasons I have that #10 Man Of The Atom.  The all black embossed cover just looked friggin' cool.  Many comics I bought solely for the cover and then discovered I enjoyed the story.  Not all, but most.
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 09:53:03 AM »
Oh and Quid, u forgot to complete the set of Issue #1 overruns with the Jim Lee X-Men#1s....now this one i did get suckered into buying all 5 covers...the art was just amazing!

Yeah the art was amazing on X-Men #1 multi cover, but for some odd reason it along with X-Force issue 1 seemed to have a staple problem. Half the copies I would come across would have these sunken in staples and the spots on the cover where the staples are would be weakening, ready to tear after a few reads. On the larger issues they should have just binded them together with glue like a graphic novel or used a harder cover. I remember one of the hardest issues to get back in the day was a first printing of New Mutants 87. Now you can just jump on ebay and there are plenty to go around on any given day. I think that's the other thing too that hurt comic collecting as a investment. Back when it was mom and pop shops and everyone had to rely on local stores to get their rare fix, they could get away with higher prices and price guides actually served some purpose because that kept all these mom and pop shops across America connected and in agreement on going prices and stuff was harder to come by, relying on local sources.

Suddenly ebay comes along and now every comic under the sun is listed for sale, more copies of said issues then there are actual collectors because all the dick faces that only got into it for money buying up everything in sight finally decided to try to cash in. They never heard of supply and demand though sadly. Now when people buy comics they mostly do it to actually read them, like how it should have been in the first place, like how it was before comic artist started being treated like f*cking rock stars. So LOL @ the investors.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:54:56 AM by ProfessorProfessorson »

T2KFreeker

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »
It's like I have always said about the early 90's comic bubble; It didn't matter what was between the covers. Sad, but true. There are some really good 90's comics that died because of the other crap going on. I actually LOVED the Ultraverse books. The art was good and the stories were outstanding. Then Marvel bought it out and ran it into the ground. Really sad when they bought Malibu. I think the only company that was mainstream that held it together was DC. Not to say they didn't venture into the gimmick issue, but they seemed to do it much less than the other companies.
END OF LINE.

Colossus1574

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 07:31:11 PM »
Oh and Quid, u forgot to complete the set of Issue #1 overruns with the Jim Lee X-Men#1s....now this one i did get suckered into buying all 5 covers...the art was just amazing!

Yeah the art was amazing on X-Men #1 multi cover, but for some odd reason it along with X-Force issue 1 seemed to have a staple problem.

Suddenly ebay comes along and now every comic under the sun is listed for sale, more copies of said issues then there are actual collectors because all the dick faces that only got into it for money buying up everything in sight finally decided to try to cash in.

Of course if we all waited a week or 2 later...didn't they release version E of the X-men #1 which just had a foldout cover with ALL the covers connected together? hahah. Except it had green background instead of dark red....well guess what? Let's juice it ONE MORE TIME with a 20th Anniversary edition!!!  :dance:

Oh and Proffessor, you are dead on about the effect Ebay had on comics as a "collectible". What we thought was rare, ain't so much anymore....i think it had an even worse effect on sporting cards! What u thought was a rare rookie card, some seller would be selling it in a friggin 4pak lot on Ebay!?

FiftyQuid

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 02:06:39 AM »
Ah... That issue of X-MEN.  I didn't clue into what you guys were all talking about.  I don't have that version, but I'm sure I have at least 3 or 4 alternate covers for that issue.  Same goes for X-Force #1.  I admit it, I bought nearly 10 copies of that piece of shit.  Various "collectable" cards in sealed bags.  Ah well, if I wasn't buying comics with my money I would have just wasted it chasing ass girls.  I'm sure we've all wasted enough money that way.

T2KFreeker

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 06:04:25 PM »

Yeah the art was amazing on X-Men #1 multi cover, but for some odd reason it along with X-Force issue 1 seemed to have a staple problem.

Suddenly ebay comes along and now every comic under the sun is listed for sale, more copies of said issues then there are actual collectors because all the dick faces that only got into it for money buying up everything in sight finally decided to try to cash in.

Of course if we all waited a week or 2 later...didn't they release version E of the X-men #1 which just had a foldout cover with ALL the covers connected together? hahah. Except it had green background instead of dark red....well guess what? Let's juice it ONE MORE TIME with a 20th Anniversary edition!!!  :dance:

Oh and Proffessor, you are dead on about the effect Ebay had on comics as a "collectible". What we thought was rare, ain't so much anymore....i think it had an even worse effect on sporting cards! What u thought was a rare rookie card, some seller would be selling it in a friggin 4pak lot on Ebay!?

This 20th anniversary thing was funny to me. For some reason, I can actually see Marvel having a ton of them left over from 20 years ago even and them just slapping a new cover so it looks more modern to get rid of the last of them and to free up some warehouse space.
END OF LINE.

soop

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 04:52:10 AM »
Damn, I'd take you up if we were in the same country.  I don't have a tonne of comics, but I have a nice little collection I may re-read some time soon.  Maybe about 200-300?  I just wish I knew where my Caravan Kidd comics were. I loved that story, and I was only missing a few.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 07:12:44 AM »
Damn, I'd take you up if we were in the same country.  I don't have a tonne of comics, but I have a nice little collection I may re-read some time soon.  Maybe about 200-300?  I just wish I knew where my Caravan Kidd comics were. I loved that story, and I was only missing a few.
Where are you soop?  Shipping to the USA is just as cheap as shipping to Europe.  Or are you in that southern hemisphere New Zealand?

T2KFreeker

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »
Where are you soop?  Shipping to the USA is just as cheap as shipping to Europe.  Or are you in that southern hemisphere New Zealand?

Uhm, I'm still; waiting to see those Conan's man! I love the old Marvel Black & White mags man. Seriously.
END OF LINE.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 05:28:59 PM »
Will do.  One more day.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 02:44:48 PM »
Okay, it took me a while, but here are some more images.  The first is my CONAN SAGA's.  Pretty much issues 1-45 with a handful missing in the middle.  Issues 20-23 I think?  :-k

The second is a photo of my Savage Sword Of Conan's.  Issue #174 is the first one I ever bought and it's still my favourite.  Issue #186 I actually had a letter published in.  I have some older ones, but not many.

Here's everyone's favourite issue(s) of X-MEN.  As you can see I bought 'em all.  ](*,) Yep, I was one of those people buying multiple issues of #1 issues with various covers.  To tell you the truth, if it wasn't for all these cover variations I would probably still be collecting comics.  One day I walked into the comic shop and bought a stack of weekly issues and it was over $50.  I stared and looked at the register in awe.  I pretty much decided on the spot that I would stop collecting right there.  I just couldn't afford it.

Here are some of my "older" Amazing Spiderman's.  When I started collecting, I collected issues in the middle of stories so I bought back-issues to figure out what the hell was going on.

Some of my favourite covers.  The cover with Storm still gets me aroused.  My favourite character has always been Gambit so I had to get his initial issue.  Not a great story, but I love the character.

Here are some of my "One Ups".  Comics I bought one or two issues of simply because the covers wow'd me.  The Solar Man Of The Atom cover still amazes me, and the same goes with the X-O Manowar.  I also included all 3 issues of Hard Boiled.  Check out issue #3.  Awesome cover!  When do you ever see something like that?

T2KFreeker

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2012, 03:06:46 PM »
Wow dude, those are cool. I guess if you arer serious about trades, I would be interested in those Conan's as well as the Solar and XO issues. I need those to get my runs complete. I have Solar #1-26, but my issue #10 is the 2nd printing. I have been trying to get a full run of XO Manowar for ages. I have most of the later issues and several of the early ones, but I am missing this particular issue. I do have the one where they redid the cover with the woman who inhabited the XO Armor for five or six issues though. Conan has always just been one of my favorite characters and I loved the Conan Saga stuff because it has earlier Barry Windsor-Smith artwork and I love his style. I would asume you want to hold onto the SSo0C mags due to being published, which is cool as well man. What exactly are you looking for?
END OF LINE.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2012, 03:50:32 PM »
I have X-O Manowar #5 and Solar Man Of The Atom #10 (1st Print) and that's it for Valiant.  Both were read once and then slide into a proper bag with a proper backing.  I can guarantee they are both near mint to mint.  Want me to VGA grade them for you? :wink:

The Conan Saga's I am willing to trade along with the SSoC except for maybe the two issues I mentioned, but I'm sure my arm could be easily twisted.  Hell everything is up for trade.

Colossus1574

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2012, 05:15:08 PM »

Some of my favourite covers.  The cover with Storm still gets me aroused.  My favourite character has always been Gambit so I had to get his initial issue.  Not a great story, but I love the character.

Hahaha FiftyQ, if you get "aroused" by that cover, i'm sure my signed copy will wet your pants!!!  :twisted: Was at a convention recently and met Wilce Portacio, also bought a Spidey print since i don't ever remember him drawing him.
Yah, collecting these days, is a much pricier hobby then it used to be back in the 80s-90s...