Author Topic: Any interest in trading Comics for Hu Cards?  (Read 867 times)

FiftyQuid

Any interest in trading Comics for Hu Cards?
« on: August 16, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »
I have approximately 900 comics all from the Modern Age.  Early 90's stuff.  Marvel, DC, Independent.  The collection has been kept in proper bags with proper backboards and in proper comic storage boxes for 20 years.  I occasionally look through them and read the odd series, but overall each comic is very fine to near mint and more than likely even some mint.

Before I put them on eBay I thought I would ask if anyone here is interested in trading.  If there are specific issues you are looking for just ask in this thread and I'll take a quick look and give you a yes or a no answer.  I'm not looking to get rich so this is your chance to get some decent deals on back issues you might be missing.

I also have some comic cards.  I think there are two complete sets.  Here are some quick pics;

Thanks for looking!

I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

ProfessorProfessorson

Re: Any interest in trading Comics for Hu Cards?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »
Nice early McFarlane and Liefeld work you have there.

T2KFreeker

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 05:51:07 PM »
I'd adore that Spider-Man #300 and anything Valiant you might have . . .

Oh, and Marvel Conan magazines I adore. I'd love to see what you have in that respect. Well Hell, now that I look I also see Frank Miller's Hard Boiled and that What If issue with Wolverine VS Conan. I may not be able to trade, but I could give cash for them that you can spend on Hu Cards! 8-[
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:54:54 PM by T2KFreeker »
END OF LINE.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 06:00:28 PM »
Nice early McFarlane and Liefeld work you have there.
McFarlane was pretty popular back then what with Spawn and all.  I was always a fan of Larsen.  I just liked his style more.

I'd adore that Spider-Man #300 and anything Valiant you might have . . .

Oh, and Marvel Conan magazines I adore. I'd love to see what you have in that respect. Well Hell, now that I look I also see Frank Miller's Hard Boiled and that What If issue with Wolverine VS Conan. I may not be able to trade, but I could give cash for them that you can spend on Hu Cards! 8-[
Valiant... Valiant... I know I have a few loosey's for Valiant.  The one I remember is Solar Man Of The Atom #10.  The reason I remember it is because it was an all black cover.  I can try and dig it up.  I don't think I have much Valiant though.

Hard Boiled is a completely f*cked up story.  I think there are 4 books in that series (I think I have them all).  The artwork is insane.  By insane, I just mean the pages are filled - FILLED - with detail.  Just thinking about it blows my mind.  The What If... pictured is how I crossed over from Conan to Marvel/DC.  Originally I use to just read/collect Conan.  I'll lay out what I have for Conan and put up some more photos for you.

My absolute favourite is the Psycho series.  It's a series of 4 graphic novels.  The artwork is an unusual style that I really just loved.  The story was excellent as well.  I always thought it'd be a cool video game.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:07:08 PM by FiftyQuid »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 07:02:54 PM »
Heh, I remember that stuff. Insanely high print runs at the time combined with some of the lowest level of current day interest possible results in...comics that are worth less than a penny. :)

I will give you a loose very beat up copy of Shada for the entire lot.

Wait, I take that back, I'd rather have Shada. At least it doesn't take up so much space.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 01:27:11 AM »
I'm not sure why I'm taking your comment personal Zeta, especially when what you're saying is 100% true.  I guess it's because I've had these comics since I was 16 and they are now a part of me.  Heck, 20 years carting them around and glancing through the titles.  My marriage has even lasted 20 years yet.

Print runs were huge around this time.  Many new series and characters were created.  Comics were in their glory, and conventions happened every week much like baseball cards a generation earlier.

I do have a couple Golden Age in there somewhere, and most of the key issues in many series that turned out to be somewhat important issues in the stories at that time.  When you have 900 comics, odds are you have at least one that retained or increased in value beyond 2 cents.

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 02:50:11 AM »
I wouldn't say what he is saying is 100 percent true, but yeah prices declined sharply after the later half of the 90's on many comic series. Most issus of any given series now are maybe worth cover price or slightly over, if you are lucky. Too many gimmick issues and high print runs and low quality storylines dragged many series investment value into the ground, especially on Valiant, Marvel, and Images side of things. Some stuff did retain some of the higher value over cover price, like Mirage TMNT, GI Joe, some indi stuff, etc. The thing is with comics though, if you want to look at them as being a investment, then you need to look further ahead then 10-20 years. Much of the stuff from the late 80's on up isn't going to get any kind of decent value again unless something important happens to a certain series, or they just inch up in value over time till you hit about 40 years down the road and they become worth enough to sell. About the time you're a pep pep on life support or are dead and your kids find the stuff in the attic is when it is going to matter.

420GOAT

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 04:19:06 AM »
LOVE EARLY fRANK mILLER SHIT!! love the late 80's early 90's shit....classic.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 07:24:39 AM »
Too many gimmick issues and high print runs and low quality storylines dragged many series investment value into the ground, especially on Valiant, Marvel, and Images side of things.
I definitely agree.  Nothing like a company putting "#1 COLLECTORS EDITION" onto the cover to try to sell more copies.  Normally this is a dead giveaway that enough copies were printed to give two to every man, woman, and child on the planet.

T2KFreeker

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 07:49:35 AM »
I wouldn't say what he is saying is 100 percent true, but yeah prices declined sharply after the later half of the 90's on many comic series. Most issus of any given series now are maybe worth cover price or slightly over, if you are lucky. Too many gimmick issues and high print runs and low quality storylines dragged many series investment value into the ground, especially on Valiant, Marvel, and Images side of things. Some stuff did retain some of the higher value over cover price, like Mirage TMNT, GI Joe, some indi stuff, etc. The thing is with comics though, if you want to look at them as being a investment, then you need to look further ahead then 10-20 years. Much of the stuff from the late 80's on up isn't going to get any kind of decent value again unless something important happens to a certain series, or they just inch up in value over time till you hit about 40 years down the road and they become worth enough to sell. About the time you're a pep pep on life support or are dead and your kids find the stuff in the attic is when it is going to matter.

I agree with MOST of this as well. However, for all fairness on the Valiant comments. The print runs were just fine and the stories were amazing until Acclaim bought the company. Which is towards the end of the original runs of the comics. Vol. 2 of those series were all bad and way overprinted, especially Turok. When the company was still Voyager owned, it was amazing, especially when it was helmed by Jim Shooter. and Guys like Barry Windsor Smith, Bob Hall, and Joe Quesada were working there. Hell, Archer & Armstrong was just voted as #2 for most important "Duo/Friendship" comic of all time and Harbinger is still considered to be the most influential comic series of the last 20 years. The new run and return of the company is awesome, for those that have missed it. XO Manowar is just fabulous. Oh, and Quid, I'd take those Conan Mags as long as I don't have them and I would love that Solar issue if you can find it. I have it, but it's the second printing. :(
END OF LINE.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 08:28:56 AM »
I think I have over 50 issues of Conan Savage Sword and Saga.  I think I have a couple loosey XO Manowar.  No Harbinger though.

If this throat cold doesn't kill me I'll post some of the photos I owe you.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 09:01:07 AM »
I'm not sure why I'm taking your comment personal Zeta, 

Don't take it personal. The reason I know that stuff is garbage is because I have all the same stuff!

I don't have nostalgia for this period though. This was when guys in suits with MBAs would come into my local shop and buy five copies of everything because they thought they would be able to sell each book for hundreds in the future. The same a$$holes that got burned on CDOs in 2009. They turned what I like into...basically what eBay has done for the TG16.

420GOAT

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 09:25:30 AM »

Don't take it personal. The reason I know that stuff is garbage is because I have all the same stuff!

I don't have nostalgia for this period though. This was when guys in suits with MBAs would come into my local shop and buy five copies of everything because they thought they would be able to sell each book for hundreds in the future. The same a$$holes that got burned on CDOs in 2009. They turned what I like into...basically what eBay has done for the TG16.

thats with almost anything good, it always goes to the dogs.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

Colossus1574

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 09:30:43 AM »

Yep, i remembered those days...when the hot #1s would be out that week, there were always the "keeners" who picked up an extra 2 or 3 or 4 copies of said issue. This was maybe 3-5 years AFTER i got into collecting so knew what these guys were thinking...but man, so glad i didn't have the budget to pull that crap!

Oh and Quid, u forgot to complete the set of Issue #1 overruns with the Jim Lee X-Men#1s....now this one i did get suckered into buying all 5 covers...the art was just amazing!
And don't feel bad at all, we all have nice big collections like this sitting somewhere in our house...and sadly i feel i can't part with them either  ](*,)

T2KFreeker

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 09:44:20 AM »
Big collections? I have 15 Long Boxes and comics loose stacked on top of them! It's too much, but I just can't let them go!  [-(
END OF LINE.