Author Topic: What's a decent price for a TE?  (Read 604 times)

FiftyQuid

What's a decent price for a TE?
« on: August 18, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »
I may have an opportunity to buy a TE.  The screen has a dead pixel.  turbokon could replace the the screen for $45.  So if I pay $75 for the TE do you think that's too much?  I don't have any experience with TE.  If the pixel is the only issue, then I feel it's a fair price but I wanted to hear what others had to say.

Oh, and what else should I be aware of if I'm purchasing a used TE?
I'm busy playing pinball, but I still drop by to visit.

KnightWarrior

Re: What's a decent price for a TE?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 05:25:14 PM »
That's a good price for $75 ..Can it still play with the dead pixel?

vestcoat

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 05:26:09 PM »
If the pixel is the only issue...
Oh, and what else should I be aware of if I'm purchasing a used TE?
A dead pixel is nothing. 50% of brand new TE's came with a dead pixel or two. You'll never notice it unless you look for it.

The only issues you need to be aware of is that 1) the caps will need to be replaced ASAP if they haven't been already, 2) text-heavy games are hard to read, and 3) don't expect to watch anything other than local Christian channels and Univision if you buy a TV Tuner.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »
I didn't mention this, but it includes the TV Tuner.  Aren't these things just a paperweight now?  Christian channel eh?  Intriguing... not.

So depending on how decent the casing looks $75 seems fair.  I don't want it to have any deep scratches or gouges in it.  I don't expect it to be new, but I would like to see it was at least taken care of.

So when I go pick it up I should check that it;

1) Powers up.
2) Is able to pick up the Christian channel. :wink:
3) Check the battery compartment for corrosion.

I feel I'm missing something.  :-k

BlueBMW

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 05:47:02 PM »
Bring some headphones so that you can check both speaker and headphone sound.  Even if you find out it has no / low audio fret not as caps will take care of it.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

FiftyQuid

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 05:51:18 PM »
Bring some headphones so that you can check both speaker and headphone sound.  Even if you find out it has no / low audio fret not as caps will take care of it.
Ah!  Great idea.  I guess I should bring an hu card too huh?  Heh heh...

Thanks everyone.  I'll report back after it's in my hands.

vestcoat

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 05:56:55 PM »
I didn't mention this, but it includes the TV Tuner.  Aren't these things just a paperweight now?  
The Turbovision still has the AV input, which is kind of amusing.
Bring some headphones so that you can check both speaker and headphone sound.  Even if you find out it has no / low audio fret not as caps will take care of it.
In addition to checking for low volume, a headphone check with a stereo-sound hucard is a good idea. In the early days of TE repair, D-Lite inadvertently messed up the headphone mix while fixing a bunch of new units for TZD. He either summer them to mono or sound only came out of one earpiece... I forget.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 06:11:38 PM »
Thanks again.  I'll keep this in mind too.

galam

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 12:45:24 AM »
Have turbokon replace the screen with an LCD and text is clear as day.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 01:06:08 PM »
I contacted the guy about seeing it today, but he told me that "Another gentleman called and offered him full price".  His full price was $100.  The ad has been pulled so I guess he actually did sell it.

What do you guys think about this one?  It originally started at $600 and he's been dropping it ever since.
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=385269586

I actually contact him once before and offered him $200 and told him to keep the TV Tuner.  He was fine with that offer, but I backed out.  Is $300 worthwhile?  It doesn't see like much of a deal.  I suppose if I use feebay I could sell all the games, and re-coop about $150, but that would take a while.  That would make the unit worth $150 overall.

roflmao

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 01:28:59 PM »
$300 still seems steep to me.  I think you'd have a hard time selling those games for $150 (though the way people are buying on ebay I could be wrong).  The Express itself looks to be in great condition, but if the caps haven't been swapped yet, you'll likely need to do that soon, so that's an extra expense to factor in.

FiftyQuid

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 02:13:12 PM »
Yeah, I think it's too high too, but I'm kicking myself for missing out on the $75 listing.  I could offer him $200 again, but I don't know if he'll take it this time around.  Especially if I tell him I want the TV Tuner this time.

Decisions, decisions...

roflmao

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »
Yeah, for $200, it'd be a pretty good deal, even without the tuner.  You may be able to get $100 for the games (maybe) so the Express could end up costing $100.  That's probably not too bad these days.  If you got the tuner, I'd hold onto it.  It's pretty much worthless as far as resale value goes, but you ca still geek out and plug other systems into it!

KnightWarrior

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 06:45:29 PM »
Maybe just maybe

He though $75 was to low and told you a lie, that would happen

FiftyQuid

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 02:51:50 AM »
Maybe just maybe

He though $75 was to low and told you a lie, that would happen
That would make sense if it wasn't his offer, but it was.  Also, the ad was pulled down.