Author Topic: Have you ever owned Magical Chase ?  (Read 719 times)

Lost Monkey

Re: Have you ever owned Magical Chase ?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 07:57:56 AM »
Bought it used circa 1996, sold it privately about 7 years ago. 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 08:18:54 AM »
I have never personally owned it, but I have two friends who do.  One owns the JP version and the other (who lives in Pennsylvania) owns the US version.  I've borrowed both copies.  Yes, the US version has to travel through the mail.  But legitimate copies of both the JP and US versions of the game have penetrated and had full on sex with my TurboGrafx-16.

Lost Monkey

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 08:23:09 AM »
Bought it used circa 1996, sold it privately about 7 years ago.  My avatar is a pic of it in my case-modded TG.

turboswimbz

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 10:36:33 AM »
I have never personally owned it, but I have two friends who do.  One owns the JP version and the other (who lives in Pennsylvania) owns the US version.  I've borrowed both copies.  Yes, the US version has to travel through the mail.  But legitimate copies of both the JP and US versions of the game have penetrated and had full on sex with my TurboGrafx-16.

Awww shit! Legitimate Rape.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

syphic

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »
My Magical Chase is still a virgin. Her Hymen hasnt been broken yet.
Awesome trades and deals with:
Fiftyquid, thesteve, keithcourage, mothergunner, Bernie, turboswimbz, Bardoly, BlueBMW, Galam, Nullity, Jtucci31, sirhcman,  Elderboroom, dicer

SMF

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 12:22:20 PM »
My Magical Chase is still a virgin. Her Hymen hasnt been broken yet.

Well what are you waiting for grab her and show her what its like sliding o so slowly into a TG16 system slot. Or get a gangbang ready hookup the TG16, Duo and Xpress pass her around like a joint lol.
Welcome to Prime Time B!tch

henrycsc

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »
Most of the copies got run over by a steamroller.

Dan, I haven't heard that one before.  What was TTI doing putting down asphalt if they were going out of business?  Any chance those chaseseses are buried under that parking lot?

Hueys are the greatest media format ever!  Even better than 8-Track

Wanted:
Bootleg Hucards (Hong Kong, China)
Third Party Hardware (US, Japan, China, Europe, Korea)
Canadian Boxes and Manuals (French text)
Ton's of Trades available - just PM me.

CatBoy

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 03:03:53 PM »
I bought my copy (hucard+manual) 6-7 years ago on eBay. I've since added a beautiful case with one of Sparky's sticker.  :D

The prices were crazy but nowhere near what they are today. I played it a lot and still do: while it's not the best one on the system, it's still a great shooter!

Xray

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 06:49:44 PM »
I'll have to try it on a emu and see if I get dejavoo ... Alls I remember is riding around on a broomstick with some protective stars shooting everything in sight.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 10:21:50 PM »
Dan, I haven't heard that one before.  What was TTI doing putting down asphalt if they were going out of business?  Any chance those chaseseses are buried under that parking lot?

There's a thread about this (in fact several) elsewhere on the forum. When TTI went under any assets that weren't purchased by liquidators was destroyed. Their primary liquidator was TZD who bought up several hundred thousand dollars worth of merchandise. However, they paid based on the manufacturing costs of the items in question. So HuCards cost more to keep than CDs since they were more expensive to manufacture. When deciding what to keep, late release HuCard games like Bonk 3 (mascot of the system), Darkwing Duck (licensed Disney character), and Order of the Griffon (D&D licensed) were kept in large numbers while games like Magical Chase, Tonma and World Sports Competition were the games that were most likely to be steamrolled as they weren't thought to be as sellable as Bonk 3 of the licensed titles.

Added in edit: Found the thread.
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9653.150
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:35:56 PM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

Bardoly

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 07:21:23 AM »
Dan, I haven't heard that one before.  What was TTI doing putting down asphalt if they were going out of business?  Any chance those chaseseses are buried under that parking lot?

There's a thread about this (in fact several) elsewhere on the forum. When TTI went under any assets that weren't purchased by liquidators was destroyed. Their primary liquidator was TZD who bought up several hundred thousand dollars worth of merchandise. However, they paid based on the manufacturing costs of the items in question. So HuCards cost more to keep than CDs since they were more expensive to manufacture. When deciding what to keep, late release HuCard games like Bonk 3 (mascot of the system), Darkwing Duck (licensed Disney character), and Order of the Griffon (D&D licensed) were kept in large numbers while games like Magical Chase, Tonma and World Sports Competition were the games that were most likely to be steamrolled as they weren't thought to be as sellable as Bonk 3 of the licensed titles.

Sad...very sad...

This was news to me.  A lump came to my throat, and tears almost welled up in my eyes when I read this sad tale of woe and destruction.

Xray

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 08:00:39 AM »

Not disputing this version, but how would this explain Bonk 3,  Order of the Griffon and Darkwing Duck all being "premium" games ?

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 08:24:31 AM »

Not disputing this version, but how would this explain Bonk 3,  Order of the Griffon and Darkwing Duck all being "premium" games ?

It depends on how you mean premium games. All of those games can be found for under 100.00 if you look long enough without a manual. They also show up for sale far more frequently than Magical Chase or Tonma.

Added In Edit: I should probably elaborate that more Bonk 3's were produced than say Magical Chase, World Sports or Tonma. And that a lot less were destroyed because they were thought to be easier to sell. The same with Order of the Griffon and Darkwing Duck though those were likely produced in smaller numbers than Bonk 3. Where Tonma and Magical Chase both go 100+, Bonk 3 does occasionally but is the mascot of the system and a more desirable game.

So as an example this is just a speculative number 3,000 Darkwing Duck, Order of the Griffon, World Sports Competition, Legend of Hero Tonma and Magical Chase HuCards were produced. All Darkwing Duck and Order of the Griffons were kept because being a licensed title they were thought to be easier to sell. World Sports Competition came out around Spring of 1993, so a year later when shipments were sent back 2/3 or 3/4 of the WSCs had already been sold to the public at large and only a few hundred were destroyed, a lot but likely only around 15% of the total number produced. Tonma shipped a little later, say around early Summer after delays. And maybe half were sent back, TZD only kept 100 to sell, maybe the Canadian liquidator kept 50. So a little less than half of those were likely to be destroyed. Magical Chase was out even less time, while the TTI catalog said it was supposed to come out in July, it likely came out around September or October as many of those dates proved to be months late (Vasteel was listed as having come out in April for example, when it shipped in June per Working Designs old site). So of 3,000 (and it may have been less) produced 2/3 to 3/4 might have been destroyed leaving only what sold while it was in stores plus the 100 TZD bought and whatever the Canadian liquidator bought.

These aren't solid numbers but are a pretty good guess at what happened.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:34:09 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan

vestcoat

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 08:49:55 AM »
Not disputing this version, but how would this explain Bonk 3,  Order of the Griffon and Darkwing Duck all being "premium" games ?

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly. Basically all of the '92-93 Turbochips (the ones with plastic trays) are "premium" games... except Falcon, because it sucks.

Anyway, we've been over this before. Please read the linked thread.
Dan's basically regurgitating my argument, except he's including OotG, which doesn't really compare to the others titles because it was released a year earlier and had plenty of shelf time in big box retailers. Magical Chase and Bonk were the last Turbochips. Apparently 1600 copies of MC were destroyed. Read my big explosion in page 12 and Jayamine's response for more specifics:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9653.msg204902#msg204902

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 08:56:45 AM »

I'm not sure what you're asking exactly. Basically all of the '92-93 Turbochips (the ones with plastic trays) are "premium" games... except Falcon, because it sucks.

Anyway, we've been over this before. Please read the linked thread.
Dan's basically regurgitating my argument, except he's including OotG, which doesn't really compare to the others titles because it was released a year earlier and had plenty of shelf time in big box retailers. Magical Chase and Bonk were the last Turbochips. Apparently 1600 copies of MC were destroyed. Read my big explosion in page 12 and Jayamine's response for more specifics:
http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9653.msg204902#msg204902

I only included OotG because it's name comes up a lot, and it was a licensed title and possibly not destroyed. I suspect far more copies of it were produced than the 1993 releases. I also get the sense that maybe 2,000 copies of Magical Chase, Tonma and World Sports Competition were produced, not say 3,000. And that whatever those quantities those games were produced in Bonk 3 Huey had at least double the number manufactured.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:59:26 AM by DragonmasterDan »
--DragonmasterDan