Author Topic: Funny things you've been told while buying a TG game or system!  (Read 1135 times)

turboswimbz

Tried to find a forum similar to this but didn't have much luck.

Here's my favorite short list

1. Is that the game?  I always thought I was missing it.
2. From e-bay  "This game is an American release you'd find at Target or Best Buy." -- too lazy to switch to past tense i see CTL C CTL V is right for me 
3. Dead Moon doesn't have a case, I don't know where it could have gone?

4. after asking if it has the original power supply "It doesn't come with a power supply google it you can find something that works" yea thanks
5. Did you ever play slaughterhouse, I really, really liked that game, it was really good, like really gooood, played that for hours . . . --Creepy much?
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

DragonmasterDan

Re: Funny things you've been told while buying a TG game or system!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:53:14 AM »
Lots of people listing games that came with cardboard boxes as "complete" despite only coming with the jewel case.
--DragonmasterDan

KingDrool

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:50:24 AM »
Not so much as "told" as "asked", but...

I went in to a local collectibles shop and found a SuperGrafx. When I brought it up to the counter, the guy looked at me and indignantly said, "Do you even know what this is?" As though there was no possible way I could know what this obscure console was and I was simply spending $80 on some random piece of hardware.

It was par for the course for this guy, though. I've been in his store a bunch of times and he's like an even more annoying version of the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 10:05:30 AM »
Lots of people listing games that came with cardboard boxes as "complete" despite only coming with the jewel case.

That's like saying that a loose action figure isn't complete with the card back or a console isn't complete with without the box and docs. Unlike NES and Intellivision games, the outer box was never meant to be kept and games had a proper case for storage inside. The cases-less HuCard releases could be argued as not heing complete without the box and insert, but again, Turbo players in general never considered them complete only with more than the card and manual until recently when collectors-only moved in on the market.

It can be misleading when sellers describe Ys I & II as being complete and and only show you the top of the case, but they never specify "pack-in" version or mention that all you're getting is a disc and manual.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

vestcoat

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 10:24:11 AM »

I went in to a local collectibles shop and found a SuperGrafx. When I brought it up to the counter, the guy looked at me and indignantly said, "Do you even know what this is?" As though there was no possible way I could know what this obscure console was and I was simply spending $80 on some random piece of hardware.

It was par for the course for this guy, though. I've been in his store a bunch of times and he's like an even more annoying version of the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons.
HAHAH. Did this happen to be in a suburb south of Minneapolis?

KingDrool

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 11:13:33 AM »

HAHAH. Did this happen to be in a suburb south of Minneapolis?

You guessed it!
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

vestcoat

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 11:28:34 AM »

turboswimbz

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 04:12:27 PM »
Reviews for this place are hillarious. love this one
    "I've never liked this place. Are the prices good? yeah, but the employees suck. I mean, they've never done anything but stare at my chest or the TV when I'm in the store. Sure I could find what I'm looking for for pennies but I'd rather pay more to have a friendly person to talk too that knows better than spend the whole time unabashedly trying to summon x-ray powers to see through my tee. More to the point, if ask a question, ANY QUESTION, they mock you both to your face and after you've left the store. I've seen it more times than I care to admit."
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 04:30:30 PM »
Its really a 16 bit system with hundreds of colors more than the other guys. :P

bartre

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 05:06:50 PM »
not quite specific to the TG anymore, but anytime i mention the Ys series I get a blank look, and then:
"oh, you mean Ys?" pronounced WHY-SSSSSSS
but my personal favorite goes -
"oh man, a turbografx game? that crap's all so expensive."

KingDrool

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 02:37:51 AM »
Have you seen their google reviews?
https://plus.google.com/115188541221641376983/about?hl=en

Thanks for the link. Review published! Seriously: f*ck that guy.

Got one to sell? PM me!

KnightWarrior

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 02:43:30 AM »
Last week I was at my friends, We went to a store called Planet Mix, I ask the guy about any TurboGrafx Games..

He looked at me with a "what look" "can you spell that"

It seems he didn't know what I was talking about

Lost Monkey

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 07:52:09 AM »
Years ago (late 90's, early 2000's), there was a store outside the Eaton's Centre in Toronto (I think it was Video Game Connections??) that had 2 new Turbo Cd systems on the shelf for years and years.  They were priced at $299 and I offered to buy both for $400. 

He looked at me and scoffed, "I've got a guy in California who will pay $1200 EACH for them.  I just don't want to ship them."...

They were still there six months later, but I haven't been back to the store in over 10 years....

Bardoly

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 08:22:58 AM »
not quite specific to the TG anymore, but anytime i mention the Ys series I get a blank look, and then:
"oh, you mean Ys?" pronounced WHY-SSSSSSS
but my personal favorite goes -
"oh man, a turbografx game? that crap's all so expensive."

Noob question.

How is Ys supposed to be pronounced?  Using normal English phonics, I would assume that it would be pronounced WHYSSS.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 08:48:53 AM »
I had something like that happen at this store that is actually out of business.  Two stores run by polesmokers around here are gone.

I went in and wanted to see their copy of Bravoman.

Dude working is like "oh mans, I love the Turbo Graphics" (He said it out loud, sure, but I bet he would spell it this way on paper because he's a retard).

then he's like "noone knows anything about this thing.  it's more obscure/rare than the Intellivision.  I could tell you all kinds of facts about this beast, but you'll probably just forget or something".

I shrugged.  

So he fires up Bravoman for me behind the counter and hands me the controller.   I'm playing it and he's rambling about hardware specs (he did the 2x 8bit CPU failfact) and I'm ignoring him because I'm punching stuff and enjoying my soon to be 4.95$ copy of Bravoman CIB.

then my friend who was with me was like hey let me try that shit.   I hit run+select to reset the thing and the kids like "WTF? oh shit is this thing short circuiting".

and I said "no... I reset the console with the controller."

He's like "You can't do that. don't be a f*cking noob.  You have to flick the switch off.  That's why this console failed.  Poor design."

I said "oh, really? Pop in Bonk or something.  What else is in the cabinet"

He puts Bonk in.   I reset it.

"Cool, now put in another" (He puts in Victory Run)

I reset it.  He looks confused.

"Do you want me to keep doing this for the other like 5 games you have in the cabinet, or are you done being stupid"

He goes "yeah whatever"

"Cool, now ring out Bravoman so I can leave".

As he's ringing it out I was like "you know its only got 1 CPU, right."

and he goes "TWO. THATS WHY ITS 16 BIT"

I educated him a bit and ended the lesson with "by the way, I am making a TG16 game"

he didn't believe me.

Too bad the store closed down.  I would've loved to walk in with insanity and smack him in the face with it.

Retards.

Also, Bardoly: It's pronounced "eez".  Kinda.  There's a weird emphasis.

Play Ys VI for PS2 or something.  They say Ys outloud so you can hear.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:50:32 AM by Arkhan »
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.