Author Topic: Funny things you've been told while buying a TG game or system!  (Read 1125 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Funny things you've been told while buying a TG game or system!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 08:49:58 AM »
Noob question.

How is Ys supposed to be pronounced?  Using normal English phonics, I would assume that it would be pronounced WHYSSS.

Haven't you played (about a minute in)?  :mrgreen:

It's pronounce like eese - think geese without the g.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 09:04:28 AM »
Noob question.

How is Ys supposed to be pronounced?  Using normal English phonics, I would assume that it would be pronounced WHYSSS.

Haven't you played
(about a minute in)?  :mrgreen:

lol, I was going to use the "geese" example before clicking on page 2. :P

Other localized Ys games might say "EEZ", but I haven't played any other Ys games with Englush voice acting other than the beginning of Ys Seven. It's "EESU" in Japanese.

I don't blame people for saying "WISE" because the SMS and PCE Ys IV spell it "Y's".
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

geise

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 09:19:26 AM »
PCE Ys 4 does?  Don't remember that one?  I'm sure you're right though.  I haven't played it in ages.  Does the SMS Ys spell it Ys for both JP and US versions?  

Weird I can't put a ' in Ys.  Try it again... Y's
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:21:01 AM by geise »

Drakon

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 09:41:24 AM »
Years ago (late 90's, early 2000's), there was a store outside the Eaton's Centre in Toronto (I think it was Video Game Connections??) that had 2 new Turbo Cd systems on the shelf for years and years.  They were priced at $299 and I offered to buy both for $400. 

He looked at me and scoffed, "I've got a guy in California who will pay $1200 EACH for them.  I just don't want to ship them."...

They were still there six months later, but I haven't been back to the store in over 10 years....

I'm from toronto living in york.  I've never tried to buy tg16 stuff at stores because store guys here are idiots.
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 09:59:28 AM »
Weird I can't put a ' in Ys.  Try it again... Ys
:) Ahhh....cool forum mod.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

420GOAT

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 10:00:12 AM »
hahaha
Years ago (late 90's, early 2000's), there was a store outside the Eaton's Centre in Toronto (I think it was Video Game Connections??) that had 2 new Turbo Cd systems on the shelf for years and years.  They were priced at $299 and I offered to buy both for $400. 

He looked at me and scoffed, "I've got a guy in California who will pay $1200 EACH for them.  I just don't want to ship them."...

They were still there six months later, but I haven't been back to the store in over 10 years....

I'm from toronto living in york.  I've never tried to buy tg16 stuff at stores because store guys here are idiots.

i asked the local "Gamer" at game stop about some tg16 stuff and he said "whats that?" my kids and buddies just laughed and said "youre old" to me.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

turboswimbz

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 10:05:29 AM »
Here is my favorite store reviews since it was posted before about a store.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-64801159-swap-video-audio-games-music-7326403123-edison

http://www.yelp.com/biz/swap-edison

By the way any positive review comes from the owner himself.  And no he does not know where anything is.  once saw a guy ask "do your have super metroid" they came back with super smash bros.  and swore it was in fact super metroid.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 10:08:55 AM »
Betty:

I went to this store to sell some video games and DVDs that I didn't want anymore:.it was a NIGHTMARE...first -I couldn't believe how cheap the guy working there was...THE PRICES IN THIS STORE R A RIP OFF!!! this guy is selling CDs for 15-25 bux some even HIGHER!!! When u can go to target or wallmart and pay 9.99:.I mentioned this to him& he said the CDs I have are rare& not in print anymore..RIDICULOUS! I don't care what he says he is overpriced...EVERYTHING IS!!!..my friend asked about a USED saxophone & he told him he wanted 1000 bux!!!! There are new beautiful saxs' for 350-500!!!!!! NEW NOT USED!!!!...& to top it all off the most HORRIBLE THING WAS THAT THIS CREEP STARTED TALKING SEXUAL TO ME ASKING ME IF I LIKE STRIP CLUBS& Saying he needed to hire some new employees to do work in his store 7 days a week& that the pay would be between $150-300 per week depending on how much "work" I wud be willing to do!!!!...I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT GUY MEANT SEX as work!!!! DISGUISTING PIG!!! I'm reporting him! DO NOT GO THERE!!! PERIOD!!!!

I loled.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

turboswimbz

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 10:20:25 AM »
Betty:

I went to this store to sell some video games and DVDs that I didn't want anymore:.it was a NIGHTMARE...first -I couldn't believe how cheap the guy working there was...THE PRICES IN THIS STORE R A RIP OFF!!! this guy is selling CDs for 15-25 bux some even HIGHER!!! When u can go to target or wallmart and pay 9.99:.I mentioned this to him& he said the CDs I have are rare& not in print anymore..RIDICULOUS! I don't care what he says he is overpriced...EVERYTHING IS!!!..my friend asked about a USED saxophone & he told him he wanted 1000 bux!!!! There are new beautiful saxs' for 350-500!!!!!! NEW NOT USED!!!!...& to top it all off the most HORRIBLE THING WAS THAT THIS CREEP STARTED TALKING SEXUAL TO ME ASKING ME IF I LIKE STRIP CLUBS& Saying he needed to hire some new employees to do work in his store 7 days a week& that the pay would be between $150-300 per week depending on how much "work" I wud be willing to do!!!!...I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT GUY MEANT SEX as work!!!! DISGUISTING PIG!!! I'm reporting him! DO NOT GO THERE!!! PERIOD!!!!

I loled.

one day I'll try to get video from this place. it is fantastic.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 10:28:45 AM »
PCE Ys 4 does?

I know the disc has the apostrophe (two of 'em!).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arjak

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »
On the subject of the Ys pronunciation debacle, when I first got Ys I & II for the Turbo, the manual was in poor shape, so I had to find another. A member of this forum directed me to call this game shop which had one available. The conversation with the guy on the phone went something like this:

Him: Hello?

Me: Hi, I heard you have manual for the TurboGrafx game, Ys?

Him: Huh?

Me: Ys...It's spelled y, s.

Him: Oh, Wise...

Me:  #-o

I think I died a little inside from that.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Sadler

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »
Excerpt from a buddy's web comic documenting my argument with a game store employee over Bonk's Big Adventure:

(click for full comic)

Drakon

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 12:35:47 PM »
Man, as a native english speaker I still managed to guess how to properly say "Ys" because you know...it's how it's spelled.
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

wilykat

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 05:09:19 PM »
I remember how someone at Kmart once thought that TG-16 was related to Nintendo and would eventually have keyboard and computer stuff, like a next gen console.  NEC and NES are off by only 1 letter (NEC maybe they thought it meant Nintendo Entertainment Computer?)

That Kmart store closed a year later.

Bardoly

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 06:07:19 PM »
Noob question.

Haven't you played
(about a minute in)?  :mrgreen:

Actually, my only experience with the Ys series is the SNES version, which I only played a very little of, and I don't remember any voice-acting in it.  Since I just got a Turbo Duo last week, I guess that I figured that I would probably try to get this game somewhere down the road, but after watching that video, it has piqued my interest.  Is the game pretty good?