Author Topic: Funny things you've been told while buying a TG game or system!  (Read 1144 times)

Xray

Re: Funny things you've been told while buying a TG game or system!
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 06:42:53 PM »
Lots of people listing games that came with cardboard boxes as "complete" despite only coming with the jewel case.

That's like saying that a loose action figure isn't complete with the card back or a console isn't complete with without the box and docs. Unlike NES and Intellivision games, the outer box was never meant to be kept and games had a proper case for storage inside. The cases-less HuCard releases could be argued as not heing complete without the box and insert, but again, Turbo players in general never considered them complete only with more than the card and manual until recently when collectors-only moved in on the market.

I disagree.
I bought most of my 60+ games new from toys r us, and saved all my boxes, knowing this would increase their value if I ever decided to sell.
"Complete" is complete, without a box, it ain't complete.
There are 4 or 5 stages of completeness for Turbo games, not hard to be accurate here.

* Card only
* Card with sleeve
* Card with sleeve and jewel case [if it came with a jewel case]
* Card with sleeve and jewel case and manual
* Card with sleeve and jewel case and manual and box - Complete !

bartre

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 06:44:42 PM »
Noob question.

How is Ys supposed to be pronounced?  Using normal English phonics, I would assume that it would be pronounced WHYSSS.

Haven't you played
(about a minute in)?  :mrgreen:

It's pronounce like eese - think geese without the g.

Actually, my only experience with the Ys series is the SNES version, which I only played a very little of, and I don't remember any voice-acting in it.  Since I just got a Turbo Duo last week, I guess that I figured that I would probably try to get this game somewhere down the road, but after watching that video, it has piqued my interest.  Is the game pretty good?

YES.
buy it now.
not on ebay or course, just make sure you get it, it's one of the best games on that little turbob box.

Bardoly

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »
Lots of people listing games that came with cardboard boxes as "complete" despite only coming with the jewel case.

That's like saying that a loose action figure isn't complete with the card back or a console isn't complete with without the box and docs. Unlike NES and Intellivision games, the outer box was never meant to be kept and games had a proper case for storage inside. The cases-less HuCard releases could be argued as not heing complete without the box and insert, but again, Turbo players in general never considered them complete only with more than the card and manual until recently when collectors-only moved in on the market.

I disagree.
I bought most of my 60+ games new from toys r us, and saved all my boxes, knowing this would increase their value if I ever decided to sell.
There are 4 or 5 stages of completeness for Turbo games, not hard to be accurate here.

* Card only
* Card with sleeve

^^This.

I might also add the following level.

* Card with sleeve and manual only.

Xray

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 06:58:10 PM »

I disagree.

* Card only
* Card with sleeve

^^This.

I disagree.

* Card only
* Card with sleeve

^^This.

True, I suppose you could have card and box only too, or card, no jewel case but manual and no sleeve.

ccovell

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 08:07:17 PM »
I never understood people who threw out boxes.   Especially for larger consoles/appliances, if you needed to ship it under warranty, the box became very useful once again.

I expressed my opinions on this before on Digital Press:

Originally Posted by tabor62
The thing is, back when the NES first came out, no one thought to keep their boxes and manuals because they didn't think they would be worth anything. The same goes for the condition of cartridges. As children, all they thought of was playing it and not keeping it in the best condition.

Me:
I always kept boxes and manuals... not because I ever thought they'd have "value". Conversely, why would you throw out something that you or your parents just paid money for? Something that explained how to play the game if you got stuck, and featured cool cover art in many cases? Am I alone/insane on this one?

kazekirifx

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
I remember when purchasing my first TG16, I told the lady at the counter at Toys 'R' Us I wanted to buy a "Turbo Grafx 16", and she corrected me "Turbo 16 Grafx?" Well, I guess it looks like T16G on the logo...

Xray

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 08:45:22 PM »
I have always kept the boxes/pamphlets from smallish electronic items I might later resell, or need to reference at a future date. I knew in the early 90's that original packaging is good to keep, and I know that now. Radar detectors, cell phones, police scanners, mp3 players ect, got em all in the rafters in my garage. People that got these as kids and tossed the packaging, I can understand. I was a grown man when I got into Turbo, and recognized the value and sense of keeping the package complete ,,, Even though I, like everyone else, had no idea at the time just how desirable these would eventually become.

Now something like a shop vac box & instructions, obviously, that gets tossed or burned.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 03:42:57 AM »
I never understood people who threw out boxes.

Me neither.  I've always kept my game boxes, and I sure as heck wasn't worrying about future value as a kid.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

turboswimbz

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 03:59:50 AM »
I had saved every box, from my SNES and N64, I just like keeping them, the systems that were mine and mine alone and had been bought brand new but atlas one fateful day when i was away, they were thrown away on me  :cry:
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

Mathius

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »
I may have been the lone guy that would pronounce "Ys" as "Yees," like "Yeesh."
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

esteban

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2012, 04:11:22 AM »
I may have been the lone guy that would pronounce "Ys" as "Yees," like "Yeesh."

Ha!

Excerpt from a buddy's web comic documenting my argument with a game store employee over Bonk's Big Adventure:

(click for full comic)

Did this fellow really know about Bonk's Return, the cell phone exclusive? That's amazing, if true.

|    | 

vestcoat

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2012, 05:21:15 AM »
I always kept my boxes because I'm sentimental and OCD; value never crossed my mind. I never threw away a NES box, although I foolishly cut my NES Action Set down into easily-stored panels. I even have most of the packaging for my Transformers and Kenner Star Wars figures going back to when I was four years old.

Boxes for electronics and computer sundries are completely different. I throw those away after about a year.

Sadler

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2012, 05:14:18 AM »
Did this fellow really know about Bonk's Return, the cell phone exclusive? That's amazing, if true.

Haha, no. He was convinced that Bonk's Return was the 3rd game on the TG16. I tried to explain to him that Bonk's Return was a cellphone game that came out long after the TG16 died out, but he wasn't hearing it. :)

Black Tiger

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2012, 06:04:28 AM »

I disagree.

* Card only
* Card with sleeve

I disagree.
I bought 100+ games new and saved all my boxes, because I love games and the TG-16 and planned to never sell anything.
"Complete" is complete wth everything it was sold with, without the entire shrinkwrap, mail-away cards, flyers, CD-ROM2 SYSTEM sticker, etc...it ain't complete.
There are 9 to 34 stages of completeness for Turbo games, not hard to be accurate here.

* Card only
* Card with sleeve
* Card with sleeve and HuCARD case/plastic tray
* Card with sleeve and HuCARD case/plastic tray and manual
* Card with sleeve and HuCARD case/plastic tray and manual and poster [if it came with a poster]
* Card with sleeve and HuCARD case/plastic tray and manual and poster and flyer [if it came with a flyer]
* Card with sleeve and HuCARD case/plastic tray and manual and poster and cardboard box [if it came with a cardboard box]
* Card with sleeve and HuCARD case/plastic tray and manual and poster and cardboard box and shrinkwrap [if it came shrinkwrapped]
* Card with sleeve and HuCARD case/plastic tray and manual and poster and cardboard box and shrinkwrap and stckers(s) [if it came sticker(s)] -Complete!

If you threw away part of what came with your games, then they will forever be incomplete. You may have a personal definition of "complete", which apparantly goes further thantraditional Turbo/PCE fans, but as real collectibles they are permanently incomplete to true collectors.

Don't forget these important factors:

* Keith Courage isn't complete without the TurboGrafx-16 box and every single item that was packed inside.

* Ninja Spirit pack-in, Ys I & II pack-in and Gate of Thunder 4-in-1 are all not complete unless they include the TurboDuo box, box shrinkwrap, outer sleeve and everything else that was packed inside.

It's not hard to be accurate here. You can't just make up a custom definition. Unless a game includes everything it could possibly come with from the factory, it is not complete.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2012, 06:11:22 AM »

Haha, no. He was convinced that Bonk's Return was the 3rd game on the TG16. I tried to explain to him that Bonk's Return was a cellphone game that came out long after the TG16 died out, but he wasn't hearing it. :)

The fact that anyone even heard of Bonk's Return is awesome.

The fact that you actually were engaged in a conversation with this fellow is priceless.
  |    |